Waldorf Astoria Chicago {US-IL}

Old Jun 11, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, BA Avios, Delta Skymiles
download the spot hero app. You can check nearby parking options at a cheaper price.

Originally Posted by lattymong
Dave,

We’re at WA presently. We were upgraded to king deluxe suite complete with veranda using FNC. There is a self park just across Rush st. For $53.00/ night. It’s at the corner of Rush & Walton.

hope this helps!

Matt

QUOTE=DaveH;34327290]Just booked a night at the end of June using an Aspire FNC. Was quoted valet-only parking of $78.

Any good parking alternatives nearby? Any other recent comments? TIA.
[/QUOTE]
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | GHA Titanium | Omni Black | IHG Platinum | I Prefer Elite
Just booked for tomorrow night. What’s the best option for parking nearby if I drive a GLS? Some garages seem to explicitly state that midsize suv and larger aren’t allowed, but some are pretty murky on their definition of “oversized vehicles”. Should I just park with the hotel’s valet to avoid all the hassle? I don’t need in and out privileges during my stay.

TIA
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | GHA Titanium | Omni Black | IHG Platinum | I Prefer Elite
Originally Posted by ParkAve;[url=tel:34335452
34335452[/url]]Just booked for tomorrow night. What’s the best option for parking nearby if I drive a GLS? Some garages seem to explicitly state that midsize suv and larger aren’t allowed, but some are pretty murky on their definition of “oversized vehicles”. Should I just park with the hotel’s valet to avoid all the hassle? I don’t need in and out privileges during my stay.

TIA
Originally Posted by lattymong;[url=tel:34327328
34327328[/url]]Dave,

We’re at WA presently. We were upgraded to king deluxe suite complete with veranda using FNC. There is a self park just across Rush st. For $53.00/ night. It’s at the corner of Rush & Walton.

hope this helps!

Matt

QUOTE=DaveH;34327290]Just booked a night at the end of June using an Aspire FNC. Was quoted valet-only parking of $78.

Any good parking alternatives nearby? Any other recent comments? TIA.
[/QUOTE]

Matt,

Did you check in up front or via the application to get such an upgrade?

I have quite a legitimate reason to “need” a room with separate bedrooms, but wonder if I should mention it via the app beforehand or at the FD. I guess if I checkin through the app it might not matter.

Also, what are the size restrictions for the garage where you parked?

TIA,

Albert
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: HHonors-D, Delta Silver, IHG Plat
Matt,

Did you check in up front or via the application to get such an upgrade?
Albert;

The room was negotiated at the front desk. We didn’t park at the self park. We actually took the South Shore to Millennium station and cabbed to the hotel. I was just trying to help out a fellow traveler.

I have quite a legitimate reason to “need” a room with separate bedrooms, but wonder if I should mention it via the app beforehand or at the FD. I guess if I checkin through the app it might not matter.

Also, what are the size restrictions for the garage where you parked?

TIA,

Albert[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:27 pm

Checked in an hour ago via the app, and was upgraded to a one bedroom suite with a view of rooftops.

The shower had a water-riddance problem with a water level above one’s ankle from the minute the water is on.
The room lacked the promised video game console.

It does have a cancer-inducing (according to the State of California) old version JBL HORIZON in the bedroom.

No coffee and tea in room and I had to request them with a wait time of roughly 30 minutes.

Who doesn’t love a fireplace when it’s 92 Fahrenheit?

Balcony seats are dirty enough for me to not want to sit in, but the noise and uninspiring view plus the extreme heat would’ve made me steer away from it anyways.
Maybe it’s because of the no tipping policy but everyone I’ve encountered so far seemed like everything they did is above their pay grade.

Called 1310 ten times and NO ONE answered.
So actually both the fitness center and pool is first come first served, with the pool accepting one party at a time.

Lift the handle for two full seconds or it won’t flush

Last edited by ParkAve; Jun 15, 2022 at 7:45 pm Reason: Update of info
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
Does anyone know if the remodel planned for "spring" is complete and if the rooms have any noticeable difference/upgrade?

I'm debating between a weekend at the Waldorf vs London House (have stayed at both multiple times) and was curious. The last review above wasn't great but I'm also not critical if the room has a fireplace.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by StangGT909
Does anyone know if the remodel planned for "spring" is complete and if the rooms have any noticeable difference/upgrade?

I'm debating between a weekend at the Waldorf vs London House (have stayed at both multiple times) and was curious. The last review above wasn't great but I'm also not critical if the room has a fireplace.
Remodeling continues but it is barely noticeable. According to the WA website:

We will be enhancing our guest rooms, lobby lounge, spa and restaurant.Between May 31 and July 1, 2022, the hotel will be undergoing property improvements to the lobby area, concierge desk, and second-floor restrooms. There may be construction noises and scaffolding in public areas during this time. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Other than value/affordability, I can't think of any aspect of London House that is superior to the Waldorf. I think there are more rooms at London House with a good view than the Waldorf, but that can also mean more rooms that are noisy.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Remodeling continues but it is barely noticeable. According to the WA website:

Other than value/affordability, I can't think of any aspect of London House that is superior to the Waldorf. I think there are more rooms at London House with a good view than the Waldorf, but that can also mean more rooms that are noisy.
The rooftop restaurant at the LH is spectacular. The food/beverage offerings in general are better at the LH.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
I was curious so I called the hotel, they said the room renovations (carpet, drapes) have not yet even begun and would be complete late summer / early fall.

Previous comments saying the remodeling is barely noticeable make more sense now.

I don't think this is a deal breaker but it's good to know, as if the price (points) is the same I would have adjusted my trip +/- a month if it would have been complete say 100% by end of July.

Makes sense for the hotel to do this after the highest summer season but they shouldn't have posted online that it would be complete by the end of June.
Michael19887 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Hi, I"m new to this thread. From the few posts I just read, it appears that a few people think that this hotel is not in great shape. I normally stay at the Ritz Carlton in Chicago. I get a great rate and generally its location affords amazing lake views. If anyone has stayed at both the Waldorf and the Ritz, I'd love your feedback. I am traveling to Chicago in a week and I have an opportunity to stay at the Waldorf. Can't see why if most people are not happy with the property. Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I can't think of any aspect of London House that is superior to the Waldorf.
Location. WA is only well-situated for shopping at expensive stores that one can find in any big city. LH location is fantastic for doing Chicago things.

Originally Posted by tomj888
Hi, I"m new to this thread. From the few posts I just read, it appears that a few people think that this hotel is not in great shape. I normally stay at the Ritz Carlton in Chicago. I get a great rate and generally its location affords amazing lake views. If anyone has stayed at both the Waldorf and the Ritz, I'd love your feedback. I am traveling to Chicago in a week and I have an opportunity to stay at the Waldorf. Can't see why if most people are not happy with the property.
A couple thoughts based on my own personal experience staying at this property a number of times and following this thread over the years:

-This is the Hilton forum, so people stay there because they stay at Hilton properties
-This property got a LOT of accolades when it first opened and that still has a halo effect when it comes to expectations (which may become unrealistic)
-People expect this property to be on par with WA / RC / PH / etc. properties they have seen in other non-US parts of the world; it simply is not and never has been
-The property is in fact getting a bit up in age without a refresh, but it prints money so there isn't incentive to take it offline
-A lot of people are using credit card free night certificates, they want to get the most value out of them, and Hilton does not have many "nice" properties in the US so this property is a common destination
-People expect a lot of elite recognition as Diamond, however this property has tons of guests paying $$$$ out the wazoo and prioritizes them over elites who aren't bringing much revenue

That being said, to be clear, I'm answering your questions as to why people on this board stay there and / or complain, hence why the above skews negative. It's a perfectly nice hotel, and top-tier for the US when it comes to hard product, just don't expect it to be what you'd get in the Middle East, Asia, etc.

In your case, it seems like you get a lot of chances to have luxury stays and from your phrasing ("I have an opportunity") it doesn't sound like a stay here will break your personal bank, so why not give it a try and see what you think?
sobore and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, American Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Just completed a stay here in a one-bedroom corner suite. Very spacious with a full bath and a guest half bath as well. Really enjoyed the setup, felt very residential & relaxing. Room felt updated in very Waldorf style. Couch in the living room had a very unique design & was very comfortable.

The terrace was the only disappointment, just two chairs with no table but wouldn't have used it much with Chicago's December cold anyway. Rooms were also some of the best soundproofed of any urban hotel I've ever stayed in, so that was great.

Last edited by TNLONTraveller; Dec 3, 2022 at 9:48 pm Reason: Forgot detail
Old Dec 31, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Finishing up a stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago right now and just noticed that the shoe bags are from the Conrad Chicago. How many of these were there? They shuttered 3 years ago for Covid and never reopened (and left Hilton nearly 1 year ago)?!?
Attached Images  
Old Jan 28, 2023, 12:20 pm

We are scheduled to be there in two weeks. Will report back.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 5:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Jetblue Plus
Question need some data point. Booking 1 night here in july amex FHR, getting $100 property credit plus free breakfast for two, any experience what doe those the breakfast for 2 entail? Traditional continental breakfast or $30 person, also a diamond member so that $25 person for FNB probably will use this credit on top of the $100 FHR That make $150for dinner hopefully plus with aspire card credit $200 that should totel $450 credit for a good dinner if it is stackables.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.