Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Downtown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2022, 1:39 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL

Use this as a companion to the other Flyertalk thread: Homewood Suites Ottawa Downtown

Basically it seems that the rooms are the same as Homewood Suites in furnishings just that there is no Kitchen space. There is a small bar fridge but bathroom fixtures and bedroom/desk seem the same.

As noted in the Homewood Suites Downtown Ottawa thread, the breakfast benefit is the same for both Homewood Suites and Hilton Garden Inn.

Despite the stated "continental" breakfast benefit for HGI, it is delivered here as it always had been in Canada (at least until recently) as a full hot breakfast with a reasonable selection and quality of breads, pastries, juices, scrambled eggs, bacon etc. I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at the airport when I first arrived and they have gone to the cold only continental approach and the quality there has gone downhill--I likely would opt for a Hampton Inn over the airport HGI now.

Not so for the downtown HGI. It is quiet, modern, relatively close to everything downtown even though it is on the west end of it. The staff were pleasant and helpful, including me checking in at 8 AM in the morning and giving me a breakfast coupon for that day too (giving me 3 coupons for 2 nights of stays). All good here. I hope they can thrive. Didn't get a chance to test out restaurant in the evening but it looked like it was well used. Could be the relative lack of dining options now open post-Covid and post trucker protest in downtown Ottawa.. In any case, I would be willing to give it a whirl on my next trip back.

Moderator: you could label this a review thread. It has been a while since posting so I didn't notice the "new" Review labelling possibility before I posted.
YOWCDNFF likes this.

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Apr 9, 2022 at 1:54 pm
Old Apr 9, 2022, 4:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for the update. Is there a parking garage or place to park the car at the downtown location? If yes, how much does it cost.
I'm actually searching for Hilton properties in Ottawa. Going there for the first time and I'm not familiar with the area. Hoping to do most touristy stuff on foot, leaving the car at the hotel.

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:52 am

When did you stay at HGI Ottawa Airport? We were there March 12 and as a Gold Member they gave us vouchers for C$12 each which could be used in the restaurant or pantry (not for alcohol). However at breakfast we were told that we could redeem the coupon for any item on the menu regardless of cost.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:56 am

I last stayed at HGI Ottawa downtown 3 years ago. At the time there was an underground carpark at C$25/nt - there is free street parking on weekends, and if you don't mind the walk cheaper parking at City Hall. The location is good for being a tourist on foot, and Ottawa is quite a compact city for downtown exploring. Alternately you could stay at the Airport HGI with free parking and take the bus in to the City. The rooms are bigger, and you won't have the downtown traffic noises.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:42 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Originally Posted by peter1962
When did you stay at HGI Ottawa Airport? We were there March 12 and as a Gold Member they gave us vouchers for C$12 each which could be used in the restaurant or pantry (not for alcohol). However at breakfast we were told that we could redeem the coupon for any item on the menu regardless of cost.
Just there last Sunday. They did seem confused though. Before breakfast I asked what I needed for the Diamond breakfast. The front desk said I didn't need a voucher but when I was seated, the server said I did.

They got it all sorted out but it seems no one may have known the rules or at least didn't tell me about them. That's great if they are still keeping the hot breakfast--I'll check next time I am through. The orange juice was awful in contrast to Downtown.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Just there last Sunday. They did seem confused though. Before breakfast I asked what I needed for the Diamond breakfast. The front desk said I didn't need a voucher but when I was seated, the server said I did.

They got it all sorted out but it seems no one may have known the rules or at least didn't tell me about them. That's great if they are still keeping the hot breakfast--I'll check next time I am through. The orange juice was awful in contrast to Downtown.
For Gold members prior to Covid we received free cooked to order breakfast, and also allowed to help ourselves to the breakfast buffet of hot and cold items. Post Covid I have been there for 3 nights and the hot breakfast had to be ordered from the menu, while the cold buffet had become a paid option. Didn't have the orange juice
BlondeBomber likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 7:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks guys. Parking for CA$25 is not bad. I would love to stay at the airport hotels, but sometimes I have to make Mrs happy If the parking is only $25 that's fine.
One day before we will come to Ottawa, we are going to stay in downtown Toronto. The stay wont be at the Hilton property as they are charging minimum of $45 for parking. Marriott charges $25, which I think it's a fair price.

Last edited by bwiadca; Apr 13, 2022 at 5:44 am
Old Apr 12, 2022, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca
Thanks guys. Parking for CA$25 is not bad. I would love to stay at the airport hotels, but sometimes I have to make Mrs happy If the parking is only $25 that's fine.
One day before we will come to Ottawa, we are going to stain in downtown Toronto. The stay wont be at the Hilton property as they are charging minimum of $45 for parking. Marriott charges $25, which I think it's a fair price.
If you do want to stay at a Hilton you may want to consider parking at City Hall and a short walk to the Hilton.

https://parking.greenp.com/carpark/3...g-sept-to-dec/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.