Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Update: Daily Food & Beverage Credit 2022 onwards in the U.S. and Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
The most commonly posed questions about the new food/beverage benefit, which is now extended into 2023, are
  • how it works for multi-night stays, and
  • to what extent it applies outside the US
Here's what we do & don't know:
  • The credit does not accumulate over the duration of your stay. For instance, if you stay for 2 nights at a $15/night property, you cannot use the benefit toward a single $30 purchase.
  • Thus, the credit for a given day may only be used on that day. It expires afterward.
    • Hilton's FAQ insists that "[t]he credit does not 'expire' until the member checks out." This is, to put it politely, complete nonsense.
  • The Hilton FAQ states that "the daily amount re-sets each day to the maximum daily credit value at midnight." Unfortunately, this addition to the FAQ--made in Spring 2022--raises as many questions as it answers.
    • The Hilton FAQ states explicitly that "for a one-night hotel stay, a Hilton Honors member would receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit; the member may use the credit on the day of arrival or day of departure." This would be the sensible approach, but the alleged "midnight reset" policy cannot be reconciled with it.
    • A similar problem exists for any stay of N nights. Unless a guest arrives after midnight on the first night, or departs before midnight on the last night, there will be N+1 "days" (using midnight as the demarcator) but only N usable F&B credits. For example, a guest arrives Monday for a two-night stay. That means the credits may be used only on two of the three "days," those being Monday evening; Tuesday; and Wednesday morning (departure).
  • The benefit terms were revised in December 2022 to cover Motto properties outside the US; previously, the F&B credit applied only to US properties. However, the official T&C now refer more vaguely to complimentary continental breakfast OR a Daily Food & Beverage Credit (varies by brand and region). (link)
  • A reputable blogger reported in late December 2022 that the Hilton Fallsview in Canada is also issuing F&B credits in lieu of free breakfast, with Hilton corporate appearing to ratify this decision. (link) In November 2023, a FT member reported the same occurring at the Doubletree Calgary North (link).

*Select markets include the cities of Boston, Chicago, District of Columbia, New York City, San Francisco, Key Largo, Key West, the County of Los Angeles and the state of Hawaii.

(return to top)

Official Hilton benefit statement/FAQ (updated December 2022):

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What hotels offer the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit is available to Gold and Diamond members at all of Hiltons luxury, full-service and lifestyle properties as well as all Hilton Garden Inn hotels in the United States, and Motto by Hilton globally, replacing the MyWay complimentary continental breakfast benefit.

The brands include Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, LXR Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Canopy by Hilton, Signia by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio Collection by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Motto by Hilton and Hilton Garden Inn.

2. Which members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit is provided to all Gold and Diamond members that select the F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit. The credit is provided to the Hilton Honors member and one additional guest registered to the same room for each night of their stay. The credit is per person (up to two people) in one guest room per stay.

Members can check their Hilton Honors status and make changes to their MyWay benefits by logging in to their account online at HiltonHonors.com or Hilton Honors mobile app.

3. What are the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit values for each Brand Category?

Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive a $10 F&B Credit per night when staying at Hilton Garden Inn, a $15 F&B Credit per night at full-service and lifestyle properties, and a $25 F&B Credit per night at luxury properties.

A $18 F&B Credit per night will be provided at full-service and lifestyle properties located in the cities of Boston, Chicago, District of Columbia, Key West, Key Largo, New York City, San Francisco, the County of Los Angeles and the state of Hawaii.

A $12 F&B Credit per night will be provided at Motto By Hilton Tulum and a 10 F&B Credit per night will be provided at Motto by Hilton Rotterdam Blaak.

The full list of participating brands include Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts , LXR Hotels & Resorts, Conrad Hotels & Resorts, Signia by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, Curio Collection by Hilton, DoubleTree by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton, Canopy by Hilton, Motto by Hilton, and Hilton Garden Inn.

4. Does the Daily F&B Credit impact Hilton brands that offer all guests complimentary breakfast?

Guests staying at Hiltons brands that offer complimentary breakfast to all guests will continue to receive this offering. The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit does not apply to the following brands: Embassy Suites by Hilton, Hampton by Hilton, Tru by Hilton, Homewood Suites by Hilton and Home2 Suites by Hilton.

5. How does the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit work?

Prior to arrival, members will be notified by email or notification through the Hilton Honors app of the complimentary Daily F&B Credit. Members can then log in to their Hilton Honors account online or through the Hilton Honors app to select their preferred MyWay benefit for their next stay the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit or Hilton Honors Bonus Points.

Upon hotel check-in, the members status will be confirmed, and they will be informed by the front desk staff and/or the Hilton Honors app about the Daily F&B Credit including which on-property outlets are participating. Each day of their stay, the Hilton Honors member will charge their eligible F&B purchases to their room, and the credit will be automatically applied to their total bill for those F&B purchases charged to their room.

6. Will the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit accrue across days?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit is provided to the member (and up to one additional guest registered to the same room) for each night of their stay and does not accrue or rollover from one day to the next if unused.

The daily credit amount may be used in full on the day of check-in or check-out, or on various eligible items throughout these days until the maximum daily amount is reached.

7. How does the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit work for a 1-night stay? Would a member receive two credits (for check-in and check-out day) or one credit?

Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit for the member and one for the additional guest registered to the same room each night of their stay, consistent with the previous complimentary Continental Breakfast benefit. For a one-night hotel stay, a Hilton Honors member would receive one complimentary Daily F&B Credit; the member may use the credit on the day of arrival or day of departure. The credit may be used in full/entirety on day of check-in or check-out, or on various eligible items each day until the maximum daily amount or total stay maximum is reached.

8. Which F&B outlets can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be utilized?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit can be utilized at all participating F&B outlets on-property, including the market/grab-and-go and in-room dining/room service, where applicable, plus participating third-party outlets. The Daily F&B Credit cannot be utilized for any non-F&B related spend, such as the room rate, spa or gift shops.

9. Can members use the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on alcoholic beverages?

The Daily F&B Credit may be used to purchase alcoholic beverages, subject to state and local laws.

10. Do members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on day-rate reservations, such as WorkSpaces by Hilton?

Like the previous elite continental breakfast benefit, the Hilton Honors Daily F&B credit will not apply to day-rate reservations.

11. Will members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit on rates/packages that include F&B, such as the Breakfast Included rate?

Yes, Diamond or Gold members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B credit on Points eligible rates including specific food & beverage rates or packages.

12. Do members who book with a group such as a meeting or conference receive the Daily F&B Credit?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit benefit is provided to Diamond and Gold members, based on their MyWay selection, on Points eligible rates and reward nights.

13. Can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit apply to taxes and gratuity?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit can be applied to taxes and gratuity.

14. How do members add/register a guest to the reservation?

When booking the reservation through preferred Hilton channels, such as online at Hilton.com or the Hilton Honors app, members should ensure they indicate the total number of people staying in the room to receive up to two Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit allowances.

15. Does the Hilton Honors member receive an additional Daily F&B Credit for double occupancy?

The complimentary Daily F&B Credit is intended to cover up to two guests, which includes the Hilton Honors member and one additional guest registered to the same room (on one room per stay), per night.

16. Can the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be utilized across multiple outlets within a day?

The Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit can be utilized across multiple outlets within one day. It will be automatically applied against all eligible F&B charges made within that timeframe, up to the total daily credit amount.

17. If members do not have F&B charges, can they apply the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit to the total folio?

The Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit was created to provide guests with more dining-related flexibility, so the credit can only be applied to eligible F&B charges billed to the members room.

18. Some members may utilize the hotel restaurants or bar areas for meetings, dinners, etc. without staying at the hotel. Does the Hilton Honors member have to be staying at the hotel to receive the F&B credit?

Hilton Honors members, even if utilizing hotel facilities such as a restaurant or bar area, must be a registered guest of the hotel to receive the complimentary Daily F&B Credit.

19. Do members receive the Hilton Honors complimentary Daily F&B Credit on redemption/reward stays?

Yes, Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members that select the complimentary Daily F&B Credit as their MyWay benefit will receive the Daily F&B Credit on hotel reward stays, both reservations booked with all Points or Points & Money.

20. Do members receive the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit at all-inclusive properties?

Like the previous elite Continental Breakfast benefit, the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit is not offered at all-inclusive properties.

21. If a member selects Points over the Daily F&B Credit on a reservation with a registered guest, do they receive double Points?

The Hilton Honors Bonus Points selection via MyWay Benefits is a one-time bonus per stay, regardless of the number of guests.

22. Can a guest make a change to their MyWay benefit mid-stay to receive the Daily F&B Credit?

No, Hilton Honors members should make their MyWay benefit selections prior to check-in or during arrival in order to receive the complimentary Daily F&B Credit.

23. When does the credit expire each day?

The credit does not expire until the member checks out. However, the daily amount re-sets each day to the maximum daily credit value at midnight. Members can use up to the total daily maximum and are responsible for anything beyond that amount.

Since the member gets a new credit each day (for the number of nights of their stay), the only day they can use any leftover credit is the morning of check-out. (return to top)

24. How will the complimentary Daily F&B Credit appear on my hotel bill/folio?

The total eligible Daily F&B Credit amount used and billed to the room during a members stay will be automatically applied and appear as one line item per day on a members hotel bill/folio, deducted from the total stay cost at the end of their stay.

25. How will the Hilton Honors Daily F&B Credit be handled at hotels with Executive Lounges?

At hotels that have an Executive Lounge that offers complimentary breakfast, Diamond members and Gold members upgraded to Executive Lounge access will not receive the Daily F&B Credit. These hotels will provide the Daily F&B Credit to Gold members not upgraded to Executive Lounge access.
(return to top)
Print Wikipost

Update: Daily Food & Beverage Credit 2022 onwards in the U.S. and Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Bluefan75
How old are you talking about? Because in the 14 years my wife and I have been staying at HGI, breakfast(hot or continental) was always free up to the time of the credit business.
I was talking about Hiltons (which the Palmer House is, and which was the post I quoted and responded to), not Hilton Garden Inns, which always had the best included breakfasts - usually a small buffet in addition to a cooked to order breakfast entree. They now have the chintziest credit.

At most Hiltons before the implementation of the credit, it was a continental that was "included" if the hotel did not have a lounge, often there was an upcharge for the hot buffet, or an upcharge for any hot plated meals. Some hotels chose to include the nicer options, some didn't, but it was the hotel's choice to go above and beyond the standard continental.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 8:27 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by aww3583
100% this.

Got burned last week at an HGI saying the same thing. Two phone calls and 4 days later, I finally got the refund. Makes expense reports (Concur) a nightmare.
The worst was a HGI where on two consecutive stays they told me the FD couldnt apply the credit and it was done by their accounting after checkout. Yet both stays that was never done, my card was charged in full, and I had to call in and have them wait for a manager to approve it. (Though both times it was then credited.)

Needless to say, I stopped staying at that property because it was just too annoying.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by doorknob60
I just stayed at the HGI SLC Airport. Stay was overall very good, but the F&B Credit situation is screwing with that. When I got the automatic receipt e-mail overnight before checking out, the F&B credit was not applied. No big deal I thought, I'll just address it at check out. So we go eat breakfast that morning, then later check out. I check out in person, specifically asking about F&B credit. The front desk agent says "I'm glad you asked, it looks like the credit wasn't applied. I'll fix that". She told me I was good to go, and I left.

2 minutes later, I get an e-mail, still no F&B credit applied. I should have maybe gone back inside (already at the car), but I figure, she literally told me 3 minutes ago that the credit was taken care of, so I just leave. I wait a couple days for the credit card charge to post to my AMEX, and lo and behold, still no credit (I was charged $40 more than I should have been).

So I call them, explain the situation, was a very friendly and easy call, she says she fixed it and I will get a receipt in my e-mail within 10 minutes, so I hang up. It's been a few hours now with no e-mail, so very suspicious. I'm going to wait a couple days to see if the refund posts to the AMEX (maybe the email just didn't work), but I'll be pretty pissed if it still doesn't come through after being told explicitly two times that they fixed it.

Has me rethinking whether I should just stick to properties like Hampton where breakfast is free with no hassle. I already like to stay at Homewood and Embassy when the price/location makes sense, because I like the suites, so no worries there. But sometimes another property is the best or only option. I had a great experience at the downtown SLC HGI last year, all the credits posted no issues, so I'm still on the fence. I have a road trip planned this summer that will take me to a couple Double Trees and a Hilton, so hopefully that all goes well.
Quick update to this, the refund did post to my AMEX this morning, so it must have gone through when I called in. Just never got an email for some reason. So that's good news. I'll still be making sure to get a printed receipt when I check out from now on just to be safe.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I was talking about Hiltons (which the Palmer House is, and which was the post I quoted and responded to), not Hilton Garden Inns, which always had the best included breakfasts - usually a small buffet in addition to a cooked to order breakfast entree. They now have the chintziest credit.

At most Hiltons before the implementation of the credit, it was a continental that was "included" if the hotel did not have a lounge, often there was an upcharge for the hot buffet, or an upcharge for any hot plated meals. Some hotels chose to include the nicer options, some didn't, but it was the hotel's choice to go above and beyond the standard continental.
HGI did have a good breakfast but hated I had to choose between breakfast or points, especially if it was a multi night stay and the points was a fixed amount for the stay, not per night and you couldn't choose poitns for one night and breakfast for another night on a two night stay if you had an early mflight and could eat at the airport for free.

If a hot breakfast is truly improtant to people, I suggest they use Hyatt. The requirement for gloablist is the same as diamond for Hilton and you get a guaranteed hot breakfast for two if there is no lounge. Only problem is it is harder to get globalist with Hyatt since they don't have nearly as many properties as Hilton (thing I love about Hyatt is a guaranteed 4 p.m. check out).
Old Feb 22, 2024, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Hopefully this is a misinformed FDC, but a friend of mine is staying at the martinique in NYC right now and was told the F&B credit and the resort fee credit can't be stacked. Not only is it now $30 a day, he was told ithey had to be two separate charges, so if he goes to the restaurant and spends $66 (which is easy to do with their prices) he can only apply one of the credits. That's going to be a real pain if this becaomes the norm. SO he's going to get two cocktails at the restaraut and then spend $30 at the coffee shop on a coffee in the morning and pastry's to take home.

If Hilton is going to charge this fee, they should at least allow us to combine them. A lot of cities also charge the taxes on the resort fee which can't be used as a credit. Luckilly my corporate rate usually waives the resort fees, but if it didn't, that would be another reason to start using Hyatt more.
diesteldorf and Sisosig like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kremmen
There is some reason, but apparently not sufficient reason. There must be others who have fled Hilton as a result, not just me. I have zero nights at Hilton properties in the USA since the change and plan to keep it that way. I went from diamond to staying 10 nights with Hilton last year and 50 nights with IHG. (The IHG lounge access milestone award at 40 nights combined with the Hilton devaluation of breakfast in the USA has made it well worth switching the majority of my nights away from Hilton.)
Also went with IHG and Diamond experience is far better.

Spent 30 nights at NYC Indigos last year and got around $1800 worth of high quality restaurant breakfasts at no charge. Also free breakfasts for everyone when I've booked multiple rooms.

Many more upgrades in US hotels, vs none with Hilton in recent years.

Milestone night rewards of food and beverage credits or guaranteed suite upgrade certificates another nice perk.

There's no credit card path to IHG Diamond, but, they will often offer to sell you additional status qualifying points with each stay at low prices, so you can "buy" your way to Diamond after a relatively few stays, but in no way has Diamond status been devalued like it has with Hilton.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:12 am

I had a stay at the Conrad Nashville and they told me that tax and gratuity are not eligible for the credit. For 1 night I charged a total of $58 worth of food and beverage to my room, which included tax and gratuity, but they only credited me $41, because the $17 was tax and gratuity. From what I can see from the terms and conditions tax and gratuity are eligible.
beltway likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 9:52 am

[nope]
SPN Lifer and dmarge18 like this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 7, 2024 at 8:43 am
Old Mar 2, 2024, 2:06 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by daisydog123
I had a stay at the Conrad Nashville and they told me that tax and gratuity are not eligible for the credit. For 1 night I charged a total of $58 worth of food and beverage to my room, which included tax and gratuity, but they only credited me $41, because the $17 was tax and gratuity. From what I can see from the terms and conditions tax and gratuity are eligible.
Report this to corporate. Tax and tips are indeed included in the credit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by the810
Yup. Recent positive example at the Slate - Tapestry in Denver.

Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by daisydog123
Originally Posted by the810
So...I recently experienced this at a Canopy DC where tax + gratuity weren't eligible (see my previous post) and I reported to corporate. Supposedly a check was sent out from corporate. Never did receive. This F&B credit thing is a hassle and you just have to verify and correct any discrepancies at the time of checking out.

Corporate's reply:
Please accept our sincere apologies for the mistake. I have shared your comments with the hotel team to ensure it is used for improvement on the services offered. I would like to help make amends by issuing a refund in the amount of $X. You should receive a check in 30 days.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by sof_lance; Mar 2, 2024 at 11:58 pm
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess is that the franchisees don't want to cover the taxes and tips because those are hard costs that go right to their bottom line--money right out of their pockets, whereas rebating part of the cost of meals is much more of a fungible top line expense.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Daily F&B Credit Pooled Across Multi-Night Stays?

The luxury property we're currently staying at says that we have to use the daily F&B credit each day, or each night of our stay. If we spend 3x the credit the first night, the credit for subsequent nights can't be applied to the first night.

Does this ring true? And if so, exactly how does it work? By Hilton corporate policy, does the daily credit go by calendar day, by night (say noon to noon), or how? The front desk couldn't explain it too well.

Thanks...
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Explore
The luxury property we're currently staying at says that we have to use the daily F&B credit each day, or each night of our stay. If we spend 3x the credit the first night, the credit for subsequent nights can't be applied to the first night.

Does this ring true? And if so, exactly how does it work? By Hilton corporate policy, does the daily credit go by calendar day, by night (say noon to noon), or how? The front desk couldn't explain it too well.

Thanks...
Theyre correct.

3 night stay? You get 3 credits to use. One credit per day, maximum value is based on the brand and can be found online or in this threads Wiki.

You can use the credit at dinner upon arrival (1), breakfast the next morning (2), and breakfast/dinner the next day, OR breakfast morning of check-out.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Explore

That is correct, it is a daily credit, not a cumulative amount. IME most hotels have some leeway with exactly how they apply it in regards to timing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.