Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Upgrades in Advance for Lifetime Diamond, Diamond, and Gold Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades in Advance for Lifetime Diamond, Diamond, and Gold Members

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2021, 9:58 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Just got an email from Hilton about this saying itll start November 15. (I guess they mean a full roll out after the previous test.)

Ive been to a lot of Hilton and DT properties in the US where Im always given the room category booked, even when its pretty clear the property is pretty empty, so I suppose in those cases this could be deemed an improvement.

Last edited by dw; Nov 8, 2021 at 10:03 am
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
Just got an email from Hilton about this saying itll start November 15. (I guess they mean a full roll out after the previous test.)

Ive been to a lot of Hilton and DT properties in the US where Im always given the room category booked, even when its pretty clear the property is pretty empty, so I suppose in those cases this could be deemed an improvement.
Unless the hotels are forced to upgrade under duress, I don't think those hotels will start upgrading people because of this change.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:19 pm

I don't think I've seen it mentioned here that the 72-hour notification will come both by email and via the app:
Eligible members will receive an email and a Hilton Honors app push notification alerting them of their complimentary upgraded room.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm hoping that this will be a true benefit. I stay weekly in the same property and happened to see their CRM list of best customers a few weeks ago when checking in - and I was second on their list!

Almost without exception I get a suite upgrade which sounds great - but one of the suites is right by the lifts and also is overlooked by a bar on the top floor - best avoided if possible but I always feel like I can't request for them to change my allocated room as they've been so good to me. If I can do it in the app beforehand, then this would be so much better.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I'm hoping that this will be a true benefit. I stay weekly in the same property and happened to see their CRM list of best customers a few weeks ago when checking in - and I was second on their list!

Almost without exception I get a suite upgrade which sounds great - but one of the suites is right by the lifts and also is overlooked by a bar on the top floor - best avoided if possible but I always feel like I can't request for them to change my allocated room as they've been so good to me. If I can do it in the app beforehand, then this would be so much better.
If you're on a paid stay this could hurt you since people on a 100K+ night a stay rewards stay are getting upgraded before anyone else. Crazy, a lifetime diamond on a rack rate should get upgraded before a gold who has the status through a credit on a reward stay does.

There's a couple hotels I'm a regular at that will always upgrade me if they can. With this new system I may be losing otu on upgrades if they do it at the window in the order Hilto nsays they have to.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 2:52 pm

Emailed to me.

Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by premier01
Has there been any data points on whether pre-upgraded rooms (even before this change) are further upgraded in the app?
At Hilton Barcelona Diagonal Mar in September, we were pre-upgraded to an executive room 3 days before. Then, early morning on the day of check-in, we were further upgraded to a 1bd suite, visible in the app.
Diamond on a paid stay.
Traveler Dave and lcylocal like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:51 am

Could it be that Hilton are just trying to persuade more people to download the app?
They have already removed the ability to check in online. Why would they do that?.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:10 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hugolover
How interesting, redemptions over 100k HH are the highest priority for upgrades. I am very surprised the IT can cope with this.
I am not surprised. Logic of 100K > LT Diamond aside, this is a small manifestation of a lot of tech groundwork Hilton has been laying for the past few years. Expect more tech-oriented features to come over the next 2 years.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:37 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Melia Silver, NH silver, H10 Class
That means people will have plenty of time to cancel their booking (and book elsewhere?) if the 'upgrade' is not to their liking...
At least on a flexible rate.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 3:52 am

Programs: IHG Rewards-Platinum, BAEC-Blue, Hilton Hhonors-Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by fereke
At Hilton Barcelona Diagonal Mar in September, we were pre-upgraded to an executive room 3 days before. Then, early morning on the day of check-in, we were further upgraded to a 1bd suite, visible in the app.
Diamond on a paid stay.
Good data point. Did you check-in on the app?
Old Nov 9, 2021, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by premier01
Good data point. Did you check-in on the app?
On the checkin day, after the suite upgrade.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
I don't actually mind the idea of 100k+ redemptions being top priority for upgrades.

I will probably never get Lifetime Diamond but currently make Diamond from nights.

When paying for rooms and earning points, I pay for the room I want rather than expect upgrades. I also earn all my points through paid nights as I don't live in a country where Hilton offers a credit card.

When I make redemptions it is for holidays, not work, and I normally book a standard room for five nights as the better rooms normally, at least in my experience, always have outrageous point costs.

So when I have spent a load of cash on nights and then get to redeem 100k+ points for a holiday, it is nice to know I will be top of the upgrade list.

E2A: My next Hilton stay is at Hilton Sandton later this week. Just received an email I have been upgraded from a King Deluxe Room to a King Deluxe Suite, which is nice and I can select room via app day before. This seems to be a two category upgrade as there are three levels of suites at this property and the King Deluxe Suite is better than the normal suite but not the top suite.

Last edited by cargueiro; Nov 9, 2021 at 10:22 am
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:55 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by cargueiro
So when I have spent a load of cash on nights and then get to redeem 100k+ points for a holiday, it is nice to know I will be top of the upgrade list.
Keep in mind, while it's not entirely clear, the speculation was that this applies to people redeeming 100k+ points PER NIGHT. If so, that would apply to people redeeming a ridiculous amount of points for the dynamically priced premium redemptions (not worth it at all, in my opinion). Frankly, I can see why Hilton would want to reward them-- they're letting Hilton write off points liability in exchange for a ridiculously low redemption valuation.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by dw
Keep in mind, while it's not entirely clear, the speculation was that this applies to people redeeming 100k+ points PER NIGHT. If so, that would apply to people redeeming a ridiculous amount of points for the dynamically priced premium redemptions (not worth it at all, in my opinion). Frankly, I can see why Hilton would want to reward them-- they're letting Hilton write off points liability in exchange for a ridiculously low redemption valuation.
Interesting. I agree 100k+ a night for a room is just the Maldives and best rooms or suites at Hiltons, Conrads and WAs which (aside from Maldives) aren't great redemptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.