Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Connecting Rooms" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2003 | 1:45 pm
Original Poster

We will be travelling to HHV next month. We have 2 connecting rooms reserved (each on ALON) for our family. Was wondering about the possibilty of merging to a suite or obtaining upgrades for each of the rooms. We are HHonors Gold. Also are breakfast benefits extended to children staying in a conneting room? Has anyone ever had this experience?
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 7:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
40 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

The curse of the connecting room [shared suite]

I'm having a bad run of things. Four consecutive Hilton stays in rooms with adjoining doors. Nothing serious although tonight I'm at the London Metropole staring at the wall, waiting patiently for the guest in the adjacent room to retire for the night. Evidently my neighbour is enjoying the Al Jazeera rolling news service. I've always credited AJ as a credible news broadcaster, so who am I begrudge him his update in world affairs but the adjoining door we share isn't really up to the job.

Masked by the reporters avid commentary is a curious wet slapping sound. I must try to ignore that. It's 2:10am. I'll give it another 20 minutes before making the call.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 8:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Imagine what kudos Hilton could gain by having an inexpensive stuffed pad it could insert between the two doors in connecting rooms where the connection is not wanted. And how easy it would be to remove the same if adjacent rooms were sold as connected - Housekeeping or Maintenance could trundle it away and Bob's your uncle.

I've had too many connecting rooms - my last submitted me to a giggling, loudmouthed couple who listened to television, made loud telephone calls, and spoke loudly to each other in a Hampton Inn.

I do take earplugs with me, but I should not have to wear earplugs.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 8:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I wish I'd brought ear plugs. I normally do. I called guest services to ask if they had them. Sadly not. More disturbingly, their response was to send up security despite my pleas not to. I requested a room move but reception is insistent on sending the boys up. I'm more unsettled now than I was before I called.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 8:41 pm

The phone rang next door. There were a few polite words that I could hear more clearly than I would have preferred to, and now the TV volume is dramatically reduced.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 8:45 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:56 am
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 8:51 pm

Guest services just paid him a visit. He's sozzled and is now singing to himself.
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 8:53 pm

Now he's discovered MTV and yes, the wet slapping is clearly audible
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Prospero
Now he's discovered MTV and yes, the wet slapping is clearly audible
Doesn't he know what the Internet is for?
Old Jun 21, 2013 | 9:38 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
I am sorry for your misfortune as I've had my fair share of connecting rooms, but the updates in this thread makes me laugh
Old Jun 22, 2013 | 1:26 am

I aim to please and entertain.

I eventually fell asleep between 04:40 and 05:00. The irony was to mask out the noises from next door I had to force open the window using my car key. I was then absorbed by the tranquility of London street life, the harmonic of roof top ventilation units, the symphony of a hundred car tyres traversing up, across, down wet asphalt thoroughfares, a car alarm played polo only out measured by passing emergency services. The wet slapping ceased.... zz..zzzz..zzzzzzz

Bang! At 06:30 I was abruptly woken by loud, hacking and conversation from next door. I managed to drift back off.

Again at 07:45, this time it must be critical. His voice is more animated. The voice at the end of line equally so. I can hear her muffled voice too.

He must be on his third call since I was last woken. He's comfortably indoors using his outdoor voice. I had planned on checking out at 11:00. I may bring that forward a couple of hours and retreat to a park bench.
Old Jun 22, 2013 | 2:19 am

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Sorry to hear your plight Prospero (although you have managed to post it in a wonderfully humorous style ^ )

I do dread any adjoining rooms due to the sound transfer and the sods law bit that you will definitely be opposite the loudest person on the floor that night (regardless of whatever sports activities they may get up to).
Old Jun 22, 2013 | 5:47 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I have found another advantage to being hearing impaired.

However, the door sound absorption device does not help if you can "feel" the action from the other room. I will stop there.

Also, my work occasionally takes me into noise abatement problems. Surprisingly, most can only be prevented at the construction stage with material selection and the design of what is in the wall. It is quite complicated and one of the reasons that very quiet properties tend to be more expensive properties. It may be more true to state the inverse: very high noise transmission properties are the inexpensive hotels.

A lot of upscale hotels that were converted from different use or are old buildings particularly in historic areas just do not have the engineering solutions applied to stop noise transmission. It is a very complicated engineering problem.
Old Jun 22, 2013 | 6:59 am

At check-in, you can request a room that does not have a lock-off.

At one time, my wife and I were in a non-Hilton property (it was one of the nicer Harris Rosen hotels..Rosen Centre? Rosen Plaza?)in Orlando. We had a PL stay and our room had a lock-off. There was a working woman ensconced in the adjacent room and everything was clearly audible.

I found the experience to be educational.

This is probably documented on another thread.
Old Jun 22, 2013 | 8:19 am
Community Director Emerita
50 Countries Visited80 Nights5M20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by BotB
Sorry to hear your plight Prospero (although you have managed to post it in a wonderfully humorous style ^ )
I'm chuckling while thinking the hotel owes you a free return visit sans connecting door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.