Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton announces confirmed connecting rooms

Old Jun 17, 2021, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond

Hilton have announce the roll out of 'confirmed connecting rooms'. On the surface seems like a positive development.

https://newsroom.hilton.com/corporate/news/hilton-introduces-confirmed-connecting-rooms

Just in time for summer travel, Hilton solves travel planning frustrations as the first major hotel company to introduce a booking experience that allows individuals to easily book and instantly confirm at least two connecting rooms. This innovative technologyConfirmed Connecting Rooms by Hiltonhas started to roll-out globally and will be available when booking on Hilton.com or through the Hilton Honors app at participating hotels within any of the portfolios 18 world-class brands.

Research shows that nearly half of travelers booking trips together consider connecting rooms to be important. As families and friends begin to reunite, reconnect and travel again, we anticipate that need will only grow stronger, said Chris Silcock, executive vice president and chief commercial officer, Hilton. Confirmed Connecting Rooms by Hilton presents an innovative solution to a decades-old problem and creates a renewed confidence in the booking experience at a time when a record number of people are travel planning.

For larger families, friend groups, wedding attendees and other travel parties, there have always been many benefits to staying in connecting guest roomsbut the booking process wasnt always seamless. In the past, to stay in connecting rooms, guests would indicate their request when booking and then, many times, follow-up with both calls and emails, stressing the importance of this room experience for their stay. In most cases, connecting rooms, if available, were only confirmed when the guest arrived at the hotel, during check-in, sometimes leaving the guest frustrated before they even unpacked their bags.

Individuals can now book and instantly confirm connecting rooms in three easy steps:
  • Step 1: Select number of desired rooms, along with the destination and dates, and choose your hotel
  • Step 2: When selecting a room, check the box to indicate interested in connecting rooms
  • Step 3: Select each connecting room at the desired rates, and book the stay with instant confirmation
This concept was originally engineered by Hiltons new urban lifestyle hotel brand, Motto by Hilton.

The idea for Confirmed Connecting Rooms by Hilton came straight from our guests, who told us they wanted more flexibility in their travel space and experience, said Tripp McLaughlin, global head, Motto by Hilton. Its exciting to see how an innovation created for one Hilton brand can help eliminate the hassle of coordinating travel for friend and family groups across our entire family of brands.

Most of the newly branded Motto by Hilton hotels offer an expanded connecting room concept where guests have the ability to book up to nine unique connecting room configurations with adaptable furniture and modern design to create the ideal accommodation and social environment for group travel.

For more information, or to book connecting rooms, visit Hilton.com/ConnectingRooms.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 7:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Hilton have announce the roll out of 'confirmed connecting rooms'. On the surface seems like a positive development.

https://newsroom.hilton.com/corporat...nnecting-rooms
As someone who travels often with kids, that is a surprising and welcome development. Ive had many occasions where I was told wed get connecting rooms only to arrive and be told that there were no rooms available near each other. Ive also declined to stay at properties that told me in advance that they wouldnt even try to arrange connecting rooms.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by whimsey21
As someone who travels often with kids, that is a surprising and welcome development. Ive had many occasions where I was told wed get connecting rooms only to arrive and be told that there were no rooms available near each other. Ive also declined to stay at properties that told me in advance that they wouldnt even try to arrange connecting rooms.
It's one thing to be able to reserve and have the app confirm connecting rooms. Currently limited to participating hotels.

Let's see if the hotels now deliver.

David
:D! likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Definitely good for families. Now, as a total loner, the next step is to offer confirmed non-connecting rooms for people who just want to get a good night's sleep.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:07 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Definitely good for families. Now, as a total loner, the next step is to offer confirmed non-connecting rooms for people who just want to get a good night's sleep.
Does it really matter? I would imagine that double door provides just as much, if not more sound insulation, as the drywall walls.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Does it really matter? I would imagine that double door provides just as much, if not more sound insulation, as the drywall walls.
They absolutely, positively do not. Connecting doors usually provide about as much sound insulation as the a sliding door on a public toilet.

I'm guessing they are better at luxury hotels, but when I'm in luxury hotels they don't put me in rooms with connecting doors.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I'd like it if they could confirm me into a room that doesn't sound like a herd of elephants is occupying the adjoining room at 3am
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Definitely a positive development - if the hotels can pull it off.

Done right, it should make everybody happy. Most modern hotels have very few connecting rooms, so if this works they'll get booked and assigned to the people who actually want them. People who don't like them will have a smaller chance of being randomly assigned to one.

We often travel with kids so we would book connecting rooms. But when I travel solo, I absolutely prefer to *not* have one. If the other room is occupied by a standard guest making even a typical amount of noise, you *will* hear it.

Now we shall see if they can actually make this work.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Does matter. In addition to sound I've encountered odors from some connecting rooms.
u600213, Chang11 and writerguyfl like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TomMM
Does matter. In addition to sound I've encountered odors from some connecting rooms.
Yup. Even with double doors, sometimes food smells. Older times, cigarette smoke fumes. Now, wacky tabaccy fumes.

David
passy777 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:50 pm
cjd

Wonder if the Hilton Worldwide Family Policy will apply to this online booking system. This allows a second room for children aged 18 or younger to be charged at 50% of the rate of the first room at some hotels. We have used it on several occasions when our daughter and her children have stayed with us. We have had to contact the hotel to request the rate and book 2 connecting rooms. Works well for families.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 5:01 pm

This is awesome. Really nice for an upcoming trip I have with my mom in a couple of months. We do a girls getaway every year (except last) and our ridiculously different sleeping habits always leave me needing another vacation after. She makes a sad face if I suggest separate rooms but being able to assure we will be connecting is perfect.

Already shopped about 10 hotels and it's available at every one.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond
Have a bit of a play around to see what I could book in the U.K. earlier.

It seems there is a difference between simply showing connecting rooms and seeing confirmed connections.

I looked at about 10 hotels and most showed connecting rooms of some type. About 5 of these showed the confirmed connection logo. Of these 5, 3 errored because couldnt find a room to pair with my first choice. 2 offered me a confirmed connection. So not widely rolled out here yet, but Im not that surprised.

Incidentally both the pairs were basic twin rooms with more premium rooms, so the total cost was quite high and both would have been premium redemptions because of it.

Anyway a welcome development as sure it will become much more widespread in time.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 9:20 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Years ago I stayed at the Hilton San Pedro and had a room with connecting doors. Early in the late afternoon an odor began waffing into my room from the shared door. The odor became stronger and very foul, more of a human waste type smell. To avoid further exposure I went for a long walk.

On returning to my room in the hallway I began to detect a similar odor outside the suspect room, in the hall by the door was a consumed fast food bucket of a national fried chicken outlet. All of sudden the odor was not as offensive as previously percieved. When an individuals full sensory experience is restricted for any reason, ones perception maybe way off base. I'm so glad I didn't complain!
Old Jun 18, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Was very excited to see this added. I am the target audience. But so far finding a couple issues actually getting reservations to confirm -- I am 1 for 3.

I have 23 nights over the next 6 weeks with my family (2 adults and 2 kids) - driving cross country twice. 14 of the nights are at Homewood/Staybridge/Residence Inn (and one ES) because they have rooms with 2 Bedrooms & 2 Bathrooms. Between calling ahead and status have never had an issue getting connecting rooms since 2 bathrooms became a personal requirement for us 3 years ago. But it is always a fear that today will be the day we arrive at a property with connecting room reservations but don't get them. When I call ahead, almost every front desk person goes out of their way to say that it is not guaranteed.

To avoid the worry, if I can find a property with 2 Bed 2 Bath suites we go for that first even if a little out of the way. If this feature really works, it would open up a lot more options for us.

Of the 9 nights where I have had to book 2 rooms (i.e. no Homewood or similar option in town), 3 are already at Hilton properties. Unfortunately you cannot edit your reservation and get the connecting room option. Current reservations would have to be canceled and a new one rebooked with connecting rooms - but in all 3 cases the rates are much higher on short notice vs. what I booked, so do not want to touch those. Not sure why the option does not show up if modifying an existing two room reservation.

Of the other 5 nights, already tried to change 2 stays (3 nights) currently with Marriott to a Hilton property. First two properties I tried, got an error at the last step after pushing the "Book Reservation" button - (i.e. I select a first room that has the little connecting icon, then pick a second from the options it presents me - go to final screen and enter details then click book -- error returned and instructed to call). These were both Doubletrees. Third time I tried at a Curio Collection property and it went through -- confirmation page had a message that my connecting rooms were confirmed.

Last edited by dbuckho; Jun 18, 2021 at 2:43 am Reason: updated for a successful confirmed connecting room reservation

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.