Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does Elite Status Matter Anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Elite Status Matter Anymore?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Amex plat awarded SPG Gold. When Marriott bought Starwood, SPG Gold could match to Marriott Gold (50 nights, essentially Bonvoy Platinum). However, Marriott pushed all the free status down one tier upon the SPG MR RCR combination into Bonvoy.

I do think the current Bonvoy Brilliant is much weaker than the HH Aspire from both a perks and an earning perspective. Actually, the Brilliant is one of the worst co-branded cards for hotel earning. It’s honestly better to book with a CSR for people that have it.

Conrad Centennial Singapore {SGP} Also, I was reading through the Conrad thread for a future stay. You can see the inflection point for when the Aspire was introduced. To deal with crowded lounges, the Conrad added a separate lounge for Diamonds. Did any other properties do this? How was this possible given it clearly violates the spirit of the program? I’m still slowly reading through that thread.
There is no way Marriott would agree to a $450 Aspire version of the Brilliant. It just doesn't make any sense. I do agree with you that the Brilliant is actually a terrible card to use at Marriott hotels. That's why I also have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige, and AMEX Platinum in my card lineup.
SPN Lifer and WasKnown like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I think it’s instructive that Amex Bonvoy Brilliant and Amex Platinum give out the same Bonvoy status (Gold) but the Aspire and Platinum don’t give out the same Hilton status (Diamond/Gold).

Also… didn’t the AMEX Platinum hand this out back when Marriott Gold gave free breakfast?
I never remembered Marriott gold getting free breakfast. I'm surprised Hilton still gives their golds free breakfast seeing no other chain mid-teir does.

Before the SPG merger though I don't think use Marriott's outside the Courtyard in Toronto and then the AAA rate was usually the cheapest and included a very nice buffet breakfast then.

I always used SPG for my other stays pre merger due to the Delta crossover agreement. It was great getting the bonus delta miles plus the 4 p.m. guaranteed checkout and the spg's top teirs got a shot at upgrades and other benefits on Delta. Wish Marriott and Delta would have continued that benefit and Marriott would be getting a lot more stays from me.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I give up. Perhaps we should ask the moderators to retitle the thread: "Only credit cards matter, not elite status"

David
Old May 15, 2021, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I never remembered Marriott gold getting free breakfast. I'm surprised Hilton still gives their golds free breakfast seeing no other chain mid-teir does.
Gold Devaluation: Any way to keep my lounge access?

And, well, it’s something fairly inexpensive that promotes loyalty. Again, the higher status you have the more you spend with Hilton. They see it in their bottom line.

Originally Posted by DELee
I give up. Perhaps we should ask the moderators to retitle the thread: "Only credit cards matter, not elite status"

What matters for the hotel chain is hotel chains and franchisees making money. The chain only cares about status inasmuch as it helps their bottom line.

“But I’m a diamond guest”, I guess…

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 15, 2021 at 11:18 pm
Old May 15, 2021, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I couldn't see them doing away with the 4 p.m. checkout seeing they give gold 2 p.m. If the annual fee is over $450 I can't see them getting a lot of people signing up for the card just for marriott platinum unless the card has a lot of benefits like the Hilton card.

As much as I would love to have Marriott Plat I am sure not goingt o pay an annual fee with Am Ex for over $450.
In pre-covid times I would have, but not in this environment where lounges are closed, breakfast options are minimal, and some hotels are not even honoring published elite benefits.
cbourl, lsquare and WasKnown like this.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Agree about Hamptons. I have been upgraded many times to a suite...i believe there are Hampton Inn and then there are Hampton Inn & Suites properties if I'm not mistaken.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:55 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
I couldn't see them doing away with the 4 p.m. checkout seeing they give gold 2 p.m. If the annual fee is over $450 I can't see them getting a lot of people signing up for the card just for marriott platinum unless the card has a lot of benefits like the Hilton card.

As much as I would love to have Marriott Plat I am sure not goingt o pay an annual fee with Am Ex for over $450.
Unlike Hilton, Marriott guarantees late check-out at non-resort properties. 2 PM late check-out for the wildly proliferated Bonvoy Gold (Bonvoy Brilliant, Ritz Carlton Card, Amex Platinum, RewardsPlus, etc) seems strategic as 3 PM check-in is standard (though I’ve seen 4 PM at US properties). Even that 1 hour gap may be too short for certain properties. Guaranteeing anyone with a specific credit card can stay past standard check-in would not be popular with franchisees. If they made Bonvoy Platinum as accessible as Honors Diamond, I would expect them to weaken it to Diamond’s level (no guarantee, subject to availability).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WasKnown; May 16, 2021 at 10:03 am
Old May 16, 2021, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Unlike Hilton, Marriott guarantees late check-out at non-resort properties. 2 PM late check-out for the wildly proliferated Bonvoy Gold (Bonvoy Brilliant, Ritz Carlton Card, Amex Platinum, RewardsPlus, etc) seems strategic as 3 PM check-in is standard (though I’ve seen 4 PM at US properties). Even that 1 hour gap may be too short for certain properties. Guaranteeing anyone with a specific credit card can stay past standard check-in would not be popular with franchisees. If they made Bonvoy Platinum as accessible as Honors Diamond, I would expect them to weaken it to Diamond’s level (no guarantee, subject to availability).
And same with Hyatt and Hyatt just got a stay a couple days ago due to their guaranteed 4 p.m. checkout time from me that I would have rather given Hilton.

Not sure if they will ever give out Plat at Marriott anyway with a credit card. I thought that was the purpose of introducing plat a few years ago, to distinguish credit card gold from people who stayed and the requirements for Plat at Marriott were the same as gold used to be.

If Hilton wants to go with rewarding their credit card holders the same way they do for people who stay 60+ nights a year in their hotel that is fine, I'll just get a Hilton credit card until I have enougb nights for lifetime diamond and just concentrate my stays at Hyatt to keep status there.

Even IC gives a guaranteed 4 p.m. checkout

If someone is staying 60+ nights a year the least Hilton could do is store bags for those guests until 4 if they won't guarantee a late checkout. The final straw for me in DC was when the Washington Hilton, where I used to stay at a lot, wouldn't give me a checkout past 1 and I had to have them hold my bags until 3 for a flight and got charged for it. I like the location of the Washington Hilton and loved the exec lounge but Hyatt gives me a 4 p.m. checkout and I don't have to deal with paying to store my bags and waiting in line and also have access to the room if I want to use the fitness center or go for a long walk and want to shower and change before heading to the airport.
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Unlike Hilton, Marriott guarantees late check-out at non-resort properties. 2 PM late check-out for the wildly proliferated Bonvoy Gold...
2pm late checkout is NOT guaranteed for Bonvoy Gold. It is "subject to availability." Given pushback that Plats often receive for 4pm checkouts which are guaranteed, I would assume that Bonvoy Golds will almost never see late checkouts.

Remember, a benefit that is subject to availability is no benefit at all.
Old May 16, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Herb687
2pm late checkout is NOT guaranteed for Bonvoy Gold. It is "subject to availability." Given pushback that Plats often receive for 4pm checkouts which are guaranteed, I would assume that Bonvoy Golds will almost never see late checkouts.

Yep.
cbourl likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 4:56 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond

You’re right! My mistake. I knew 4 PM was guaranteed for Plat and assumed 2 PM was guaranteed for Gold. The lack of guaranteed check-out for Bonvoy Gold (just like Honors Diamond) members only makes me more confident that Marriott would devalue Platinum late check-out if they fully gave it out through credit cards. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that both Marriott’s credit card status (Gold) and Hilton’s credit card status (Diamond) both cannot offer guaranteed late check-out.

I have had 0 issues with late check-outs so far with Bonvoy Titanium and even have a late check-out confirmed in the app a month in advance for a hotel in NYC. Reading the Hilton late check-out thread has convinced me to never book a Hilton whenever I need late check-out lol. If Hilton doesn’t want to award suite upgrade certificates to head-in-bed elites, it might be helpful for them to offer late check-outs at least lol.

Also, I went through my projected points earn and burn for 2021… 1.3 million Bonvoy, 75K World of Hyatt, and 50K United. People often talk about the points bonus perk of elite status as something insignificant but I reckon elite points bonuses have provided me with a significant amount of value this year. This accelerated elite earning is the only aspect where Hilton Honors is ahead of World of Hyatt and Marriott Bonvoy (in terms of % bonus). To me, this only feeds into my idea that Hilton cares more about loyalty reward than they do about loyalty recognition. I really wonder what % of normal people actually care value things like suite upgrades and late check-out over faster earning toward “free” hotel nights.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never knew it wasnt' a stated benefit. I guess I just always assumed it was since I've never had an issue getting it at a marriott.
Old May 16, 2021, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You’re right! My mistake. I knew 4 PM was guaranteed for Plat and assumed 2 PM was guaranteed for Gold. The lack of guaranteed check-out for Bonvoy Gold (just like Honors Diamond) members only makes me more confident that Marriott would devalue Platinum late check-out if they fully gave it out through credit cards. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that both Marriott’s credit card status (Gold) and Hilton’s credit card status (Diamond) both cannot offer guaranteed late check-out.

I have had 0 issues with late check-outs so far with Bonvoy Titanium and even have a late check-out confirmed in the app a month in advance for a hotel in NYC. Reading the Hilton late check-out thread has convinced me to never book a Hilton whenever I need late check-out lol. If Hilton doesn’t want to award suite upgrade certificates to head-in-bed elites, it might be helpful for them to offer late check-outs at least lol.

Also, I went through my projected points earn and burn for 2021… 1.3 million Bonvoy, 75K World of Hyatt, and 50K United. People often talk about the points bonus perk of elite status as something insignificant but I reckon elite points bonuses have provided me with a significant amount of value this year. This accelerated elite earning is the only aspect where Hilton Honors is ahead of World of Hyatt and Marriott Bonvoy (in terms of % bonus). To me, this only feeds into my idea that Hilton cares more about loyalty reward than they do about loyalty recognition. I really wonder what % of normal people actually care value things like suite upgrades and late check-out over faster earning toward “free” hotel nights.
I've never had an issue getting a 2 p.m. checkout with Marriott but haven't stayed with them since Covid.

Hilton was stingy wiht late check outs years before giving out the status like candy and it was never a stated benefit.

I like earning poitns but like Skypeso's, Hilton keeps devluing them. I really don't care about upgrades on work trips or weekend get aways but the suite certs from Hyatt are nice to use on vacations and would love to have them with Hilton for overseas vacations. Late checkout is an important benefit for me and one I would use a lot on work trips.
WasKnown likes this.
Old May 16, 2021, 8:06 pm

To me, Diamond is worth having over Gold if staying even just couple nights a year at an EL property in Asia. But if you’re not traveling to Asia, then the merits of Diamond over Gold are so minimal that the question then just becomes whether you feel the additional $350/yr of Aspire is worthwhile to you. I will go with the Surpass until I know I can start traveling to Asia again.

Chances of you missing out on upgrade due to you being Gold rather than Diamond are pretty negligible. As it is, I rarely get upgraded in USA as a Diamond. Diamond parking spaces are worth nothing to me. The difference in earning bonuses between those two statuses are minimal.

Breakfast benefits have become severely devalued since the pandemic, but that does not impact the Diamond vs Gold discussion and I feel $95/yr to maintain Gold is a no-brainer esp if you don’t have another card that gives you PP or grocery bonus pts.

Yes I am talking Honors status tiers synonymously with AMEx products, but that’s the way it is.
Old May 19, 2021, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Not sure if they will ever give out Plat at Marriott anyway with a credit card. I thought that was the purpose of introducing plat a few years ago, to distinguish credit card gold from people who stayed and the requirements for Plat at Marriott were the same as gold used to be.
In August 2018, Marriott Bonv°y simply changed the names of Platinum to Titanium (75 nights), Gold to Platinum (50 nights), and then created a new, lower-grade Gold (25 nights) (no free breakfast), leaving Silver (10 nights) unchanged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.