FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Elite Status Matter Anymore?
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2021, 9:44 pm
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Amex plat awarded SPG Gold. When Marriott bought Starwood, SPG Gold could match to Marriott Gold (50 nights, essentially Bonvoy Platinum). However, Marriott pushed all the free status down one tier upon the SPG MR RCR combination into Bonvoy.

I do think the current Bonvoy Brilliant is much weaker than the HH Aspire from both a perks and an earning perspective. Actually, the Brilliant is one of the worst co-branded cards for hotel earning. It’s honestly better to book with a CSR for people that have it.

Conrad Centennial Singapore {SGP} Also, I was reading through the Conrad thread for a future stay. You can see the inflection point for when the Aspire was introduced. To deal with crowded lounges, the Conrad added a separate lounge for Diamonds. Did any other properties do this? How was this possible given it clearly violates the spirit of the program? I’m still slowly reading through that thread.
There is no way Marriott would agree to a $450 Aspire version of the Brilliant. It just doesn't make any sense. I do agree with you that the Brilliant is actually a terrible card to use at Marriott hotels. That's why I also have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige, and AMEX Platinum in my card lineup.