Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Expected Compensation For Crappy Towels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expected Compensation For Crappy Towels?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by hotel_user
Different hotel group, similar situation. Shower. Droplets. About waist height. Dripping. ( No it was not cleaning fluid - housekeeping told me later - ust why / how I don't know )

Changed room. Got a free night and breakfast later in the year and was treated well.

I ALWAYS chuck unused towels into bath shower, as a kindness to the next guest. I don't know how long they were on the rack.

Also open and prop open the windows and doors when I check out - gets airflow through.

Stay safe. I really can empathise with you.
Unused towels to the floor. I'm going to do this (and tell all my friends) when I finally get to a hotel.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Jack Reacher meets Pooman?
I almost spit out my coffee - still chuckling
hotel_user likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Troubling times. Even this lot did not take the towels .... lol. Stay Safe.

DiverDave and BSpeaker like this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:19 am

So many thoughts. First - FTDM - you are a master storyteller and if you've authored any books or blogs, I would love to know about them. What a ride! Your telling of the story did take a bit of the OMG out of it because your sense of humor is priceless.

Second - I'd bet everyone on here has at least on YUCK story to tell, but I wouldn't expect that to happen in the "Summer of Covid." Hotels, Airlines, and Restaurants are all so sanctimonious and hyperventilating about how CLEAN everything is... but... we travelers know the general public can be a real PITA. Sure the Corporate wonks in their fancy schmancy expensive office suites overlooking the ocean or breathtaking cityscapes can come up with all sorts of platitudes... but... the low paid schmucks going from room to room don't necessarily buy into or actively promise to do those things. They may not even speak English and may not have actually understood the orders.

I was in a restaurant recently waiting for a friend. Sitting way back in the corner I could see all that was going on. Two guests left their table (and a pittance for a tip...) The waitress came over, stuffed the pittance in her apron, cleared the table and, without so much as a pass with a paper napkin, put the SANITIZED sign right back on the table. Low-wage people who are working two jobs don't give a rat's patootie about sanctimonious declarations from people who pull down half a million $$ a year. They are just trying to make it through their day.

Which gets me to my last thought - it's highly possible housekeeping did their job. But a maintenance worker or someone else with access and a grudge decided to hang out in that newly cleaned room for their break. Removing any plastic from the remote, and leaving you, Friendly Traveling Death Merchant, a little gift to show their disrespect for the hotel and its guests.

That's my theory, anyway. As always, I could be wrong ...
not2017 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Hilton Honors Ambassador
Hi Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant ,

We want to look into this situation further. We will be private messaging you to obtain additional information about your stay. Please be on the lookout.

Thanks,
Hilton Honors Ambassador
Good for you Hilton! Way to respond quickly. We all look forward to another report from Friendly Traveling Death Merchant (along with an explanation of his name...)
Old Sep 29, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by BSpeaker
We all look forward to another report from Friendly Traveling Death Merchant (along with an explanation of his name...)
Presumably some form of DoD contracting, given the name and use of military acronym in his avatar.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 6:02 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Had two recent issues experiences, but I’ll only share the Hilton one here. Stayed at the Homewood in Seattle. Get to my room and notice a fruit fly by the sink. Killed it and then went to use the WC. Saw more fruit flies as I used the toilet. Went to the bedroom, and even more fruit flies. Not sure if there was a dead body in the room, but I had the FDM re-assign me to a room that had been cleaned. New room was cleaner, but certainly not cleaned fully. There were these pink powdery chips all over the floor. I got free parking out of the experience, but I prolly won’t return.
not2017 likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 6:09 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Ugg...

Not hotel related, but your experience made me recall a problem we had with an ex-tenant in a residential unit many years ago. Long story short. He left some dead fish under the floor when he left. It was winter. Found problem may weeks later when spring arrived and new tenant complained of smell and flies.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hilton Honors Ambassador
Hi Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant ,

We want to look into this situation further. We will be private messaging you to obtain additional information about your stay. Please be on the lookout.

Thanks,
Hilton Honors Ambassador
Originally Posted by BSpeaker
Good for you Hilton! Way to respond quickly. We all look forward to another report from Friendly Traveling Death Merchant (along with an explanation of his name...)
Agreed, we are staying exclusively at Hiltons this year due to your Covid program. We run into dust on the bed headboards, but no other signs of cleaning shortcuts like Mr. Merchant. Please hold the cleaning crews accountable as they are the unseen front-line.

And thank you to the cleaning crews who treat the rooms as their own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.