Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Which London hotels do not require a password for wifi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2020, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or

I'm trying to identify which London hotels do not require a password for wifi. Most require a name and room number or honors code. This works fine for my personal laptop, but not my work laptop and I'm planning to work for a week. I recall a few don't. Doubletree Riverside, perhaps?

I think my alternatives are working off a mobile hotspot from my phone and can get a UK sim to do this. I know this not a tech forum, but if people have other ideas, I'd be v grateful. Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 8:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Why doesn't it work for your work laptop?
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missamo80
Why doesn't it work for your work laptop?
The work laptop has additional security that's not compatible with what I understand are called 'challenge screens', ie where you enter details or a code.

Radisson Edwardian hotels in London offer registration free wifi, which works fine and I might book there. But I recall staying at one or two London Hiltons before and where I noticed there was no password and thought that that could come in handy. But now can't remember, which ones...
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Also consider buying one of those cheap portable routers (I like the GL-iNet devices, have several- take a look at the "Travel Technology" forum, too). That way you have the router associate to the hotel's WiFi, then on your personal device (laptop, phone, iPad) you connect to your router, then you bring up the webpage on the personal device then authenticate to the hotel. Because the hotel thinks the router has associated OK, any devices you have connected to the router (work laptop, streaming stick, other devices) are also authenticated automatically.

Devices run like $30 and if you get a battery-operated one it'll work on airplanes too.
hhdl, golfmad, Dan72 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Dan72
...I know this not a tech forum, but if people have other ideas, I'd be v grateful. Thanks.
You could use your personal laptop and spoof / change it’s MAC address to match your work laptops (note down your original MAC address first). You can then connect to the internet in the hotel to pass the captive portal / log in screen. Once you’ve passed this you can change your personal laptops MAC address back to its original. Your work laptop should be able to connect after this.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/cha...indows-10-why/

*Edit* Easier route might be to to ask the hotel to white list your work laptops MAC address. I’m sure they have a network admin or engineer somewhere.
:D! and Dan72 like this.

Last edited by Leonvomp; Aug 22, 2020 at 12:14 pm
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
How about asking your work IT department for a work around? Surely they understand that sometimes people need to use a hotel wifi to do work.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by jalves
How about asking your work IT department for a work around? Surely they understand that sometimes people need to use a hotel wifi to do work.
Given that most networks with captive portals are unencrypted (if they're WPA2, for instance, it's easy to link standard WiFi auth to the property management system), the intention may be to prevent hotel/coffee shop WiFi from being used.
:D! and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 7:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
OP, even some of the hotels that don't require a username and password for WiFi still present a challenge screen for you to press CONNECT.

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Also consider buying one of those cheap portable routers (I like the GL-iNet devices, have several- take a look at the "Travel Technology" forum, too). That way you have the router associate to the hotel's WiFi, then on your personal device (laptop, phone, iPad) you connect to your router, then you bring up the webpage on the personal device then authenticate to the hotel. Because the hotel thinks the router has associated OK, any devices you have connected to the router (work laptop, streaming stick, other devices) are also authenticated automatically.

Devices run like $30 and if you get a battery-operated one it'll work on airplanes too.
The above is excellent advice. I have one of these and use it extensively for connecting to hotel and inflight WiFi in order to share the connection with multiple devices.

If you don't want to get one of these you can achieve the same thing with an Android device. Connect it to the WiFi and then share the WiFi with your laptop.
Dan72 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 8:03 pm

Let me give you an advice.

1. login to the WiFi (which requires a challenge)
2. Open command line (CMD in windows and Terminal in Mac)
3. Type ‘ipconfig’ on windows or ifconfig on mac
4. copy the IP of the default gateway (e.g: 10.0.0.1)
5. open a browser and go to https://10.0.0.1
6. You will be presented with a challenge that most likely will not get blocked by your corporate police.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
Let me give you an advice.

1. login to the WiFi (which requires a challenge)
2. Open command line (CMD in windows and Terminal in Mac)
3. Type ‘ipconfig’ on windows or ifconfig on mac
4. copy the IP of the default gateway (e.g: 10.0.0.1)
5. open a browser and go to https://10.0.0.1
6. You will be presented with a challenge that most likely will not get blocked by your corporate police.
This is what I have to do with my work laptop.
Dan72 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Don't forget wired connections may be available as well, which does not require login usually.
Dan72 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the really great advice above. I suspected there may be some other ways, but tech is not my strength...

Originally Posted by jalves
Yes, I have about a work around. They suggested creating a hotspot from my work phone. But for a week, I thought that might be excessive. and clunky

Originally Posted by hhdl
the intention may be to prevent hotel/coffee shop WiFi from being used.
Exactly.
jalves likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 2:42 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
My usual advice is to use a site that never uses SSL and it usually will then redirect you to the login page.
http://neverssl.com
Old Aug 23, 2020, 8:03 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by chistery
My usual advice is to use a site that never uses SSL and it usually will then redirect you to the login page.
NeverSSL - Connecting ...
http://x.com/ works just as well, but I think the issue is that the work laptop doesn't allow the browser to access non-SSL pages
Old Aug 23, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I stayed at the Doubletree Greenwich a few days ago and the wifi didn’t have a challenge screen (no password either).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.