Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Room Phone Ringing Upon Mobile Check-Out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

So if I'm going to start a new thread, you had better bet that it will be on a random piece of trivia / curiosity. But I've noticed something in the past months and wonder if others encounter it. When I check out of a room using the mobile application, I'll sometimes get a single, solitary ring of the in-room phone about 30 seconds later. No one there if I pick up the receiver, and only one ring. More curiously, I've only encountered it at Doubletrees, not at any other brand. Personally, I like it as a confirmation that I'm checked out, and frankly it's pretty impressive if the systems are in fact integrated that well. But I'm also curious if this is chainwide, systemwide, or random. So, do others run into this, and if so, at what properties?
treppenlaeufer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:38 pm

People actually still check out of a hotel?
indufan, lougord99 and kennycrudup like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld

I do it for two reasons!

1) It lets housekeeping know that I'm out so they can reset the room. I figure that's a possible early check-in for someone getting off a long flight or whatever. I know I appreciate it when I can get one.
2) It triggers the auto-release of the folio to my email which is usually really quick and, unless I've incurred charges that AM, complete. I can then push it through to my work expense system before I forget.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by arlflyer

I do it for two reasons!

1) It lets housekeeping know that I'm out so they can reset the room. I figure that's a possible early check-in for someone getting off a long flight or whatever. I know I appreciate it when I can get one.
2) It triggers the auto-release of the folio to my email which is usually really quick and, unless I've incurred charges that AM, complete. I can then push it through to my work expense system before I forget.
Seems unlikely that housekeeping checks your room any earlier just because you 'checked out'. Housekeeping goes on their route and knocks on the door regardless of whether you have checked out or put a do not disturb sign in the door.
kennycrudup, smmrfld and atsak like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I've noticed it as well.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
Seems unlikely that housekeeping checks your room any earlier just because you 'checked out'. Housekeeping goes on their route and knocks on the door regardless of whether you have checked out or put a do not disturb sign in the door.
It depends on the property. For a roadside Hampton, yes, the above is true. At large business hotels and higher-end properties they will generally have a more structured system.
treppenlaeufer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Housekeeping goes on their route and knocks on the door regardless of whether you have checked out or put a do not disturb sign in the door.
Off-topic but: Huh?

About a 100 nights a year on the road for the last several years, staying in anything from Hamptons to independent hotels to Conrads, and I could count on one hand the number of times housekeeping has knocked on my door when the do-not-disturb sign was on the door.

If that's happening to you regularly...you are staying at some poorly run hotels.
arlflyer, treppenlaeufer and :D! like this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:11 pm

As someone that spent over a decade working in hotels, I can assure you that arlflyer is correct. Cleaning check-out rooms first is absolutely the priority in order to have them available for check-ins.

And, that strategy is fairly uniform across all brands at all price points. If you happen to read Trip Advisor reviews, you'll see a lot of people complaining that their room wasn't cleaned until late afternoon. That happens because those hotels were following this practice.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Yes, I always physically checkout. I want a physical receipt regardless if they email one or not.
simonsmith and smithrh like this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:44 pm

How do you check out using the app?

I have never seen this option in the Android app.
wizla likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:17 pm

Plus, expense reports. I have to take a picture of a paper receipt for my company's system.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kkong42

I generally use my work iPhone but the Hilton website for the app seems to imply that the feature is available across both platforms (https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/rs/...rs-mobile-app/). Should just be check-out a button on the screen for the stay (the one with tiles like "my stay", "floor plan", etc.) - analogous to where the check-in button is located.

Originally Posted by smithrh
Plus, expense reports. I have to take a picture of a paper receipt for my company's system.
Ah, good times. Been there plenty; fortunately now I have an employer with a more modern system!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kkong42

It's more of a USA thing, and I think you have to do OLCI as well, but it is available on the Android (since that's what I use), and I have successfully used it. It shows up only after midnight on the day of departure, as the second or third tile on the reservation's screen, and grays out after the official check-out time even if you have successfully requested a late check out. But it does work well, the email receipt arrives within seconds. Personally I've only used it as I leave the hotel, so I haven't experienced the phantom telephone calls.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I don't think you can check out via the app if you have a late checkout.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I don't think you can check out via the app if you have a late checkout.
That is correct. As noted above, the functionality ceases to exist after standard check out time and the app directs you to the desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.