Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Gold to Diamond -- Easier or better ideas? :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold to Diamond -- Easier or better ideas? :)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond
Lightbulb Gold to Diamond -- Easier or better ideas? :)

So... I'm in a bit of a predicament here -- self-inflicted no less -- but thought I would still seek some opinions.

Earlier in January, I had stayed 11 nights x 2 rooms, earning almost 110,000 base points ...

This makes me 49 nights OR 19,000 base points away from Diamond

I do have a few upcoming stays in May and I do want to enjoy Diamond benefits for those stays, but I don't see myself spending approx US$1,900 from now till May. I did think of calling HHonors to see if I could join the 18-night fast track to Diamond, but I'd doubt they would let me backtrack with the 11 nights I already have ...

Any ideas on how I could accelerate my path to Diamond?

Again, I would like to emphasise that I KNOW this situation is somewhat self-inflicted (haha) ... but I unfortunately did not have the time to sign up for fast track prior to booking those 11 nights ...
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Get a Hilton credit card with an annual fee that grants you Diamond status.

But what diamond benefit do you want to enjoy that you won't get with gold status? There's little to no difference between the two tiers for most stays.
ebuck likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
As missamo80 stated - the Amex Aspire card for $450 AF will immediately net you Diamond. Easier, cheaper, faster.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm Diamond and it really doesn't feel very special. I would not let the tail wag the dog for this status. I certainly wouldn't stay 49 additional nights just for the privilege.
timfountain and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:52 pm

exactly what diamond benefit do you want?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:18 am

Like others said, get the Aspire card, and your free weekend night might arrive in time to use it in May.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
OP might not be from the US though, in which case the Aspire cards wouldn't be available to him/her.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shuigao
OP might not be from the US though, in which case the Aspire cards wouldn't be available to him/her.
Thanks all for the suggestions, but yes --- unfortunately I'm not from the US, so the Aspire cards are pretty much out of reach geographically speaking.

Seems like Diamond is overrated (?) Would likely stick around with Gold then ... for the breakfasts!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by hisdearqueen
Thanks all for the suggestions, but yes --- unfortunately I'm not from the US, so the Aspire cards are pretty much out of reach geographically speaking.

Seems like Diamond is overrated (?) Would likely stick around with Gold then ... for the breakfasts!
Diamond does have decent benefits - more bonus points, much better upgrades and exec lounge access guaranteed. Go for it.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Seems like Diamond is overrated (?) Would likely stick around with Gold then ... for the breakfasts! [/QUOTE]

The answer to this question depends on where you’re staying. Most of my stays are at Hampton or HGI properties. Here, my only reward for Diamond is an extra bottle of water. However when I do stay at FS Hiltons, particularly outside of the US, upgrades and executive lounge access are really nice perks. If 100% of my stays were at Hamptons or HGI, Gold status would be sufficient.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Likewise for me in the UK , the aspire card is out of the question.

Depending on where the OP is going then Diamond with its guaranteed lounge access is very good ( some of the Hiltons/Conrads in HK,Singapore and Japan have excellent lounges). Before I reached I diamond I paid for an executive room to guuarantee lounge access ( the upcharge to the executive was reasonable IME but YMMV)

Upgrades are nice but would not expect them ( esp over a weekend with longer stays when lots of locals might stay for a staycation) but I also found that late checkouts ( when I have needed them to 2-3pm) have been easier with Diamond

Regards

TBS
:D! likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.