Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Will Hilton Garden Inn accept price error?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Hilton Garden Inn accept price error?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I checked earlier today and now all Hilton brands in Manhattan are $450-$650/night and higher on that weekday night in December, even the Hampton brand.
Just outrageous, I am surprised that anyboby pays that kind of money, it is just a cold winter city, even with the holiday décor not worth more than $150-200/night, tops...
Sisosig and :D! like this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: AA Gold (1mm) , Hilton Diamond, Aer Lingus Newbie
Could it be that your booking is around the time of the lighting of the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree? Prices (and midtown crowds) are always nuts around that night.

I stayed in Midtown once a week for years and as long as you avoid the usual pain points (UN General Assembly, commencement at NYU etc) then getting a room under/around $200 in an HGI/HI was never a problem. I guess you got lucky with yield management on the days you picked. I'm sure they will honor the rate.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I checked earlier today and now all Hilton brands in Manhattan are $450-$650/night and higher on that weekday night in December, even the Hampton brand.
I decided not to go up to NYC for our annual company party this year exactly for that reason. Yes, I would have been reimbursed but paying $450-500 for small room at a Hampton or HGI for a few hour party seemed just incredibly wasteful. The Hilton Midtown across from our office was $750/night which is just ridiculous.

On a different note, those rates do show how well the economy has been doing.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: Honors Diamond; AA Ex Plat; AS MVP 75K
NYC rates fluctuate wildly. Nobody should be shaming people for spending $400+ or telling someone $190 is not a steal. What is clear is that it is not an error. I've mentioned in other threads if you have the flexibility the day of rates can be absurdly low (sub $100) in the winter. Xmas time however can drive prices up and despite what anyone says NYC is the preeminent destination, winter or not. If you are happy with the price you paid to the point of concern that it was a mistake then all the better. You'll be fine.

I once booked the Presidential suite at the Hilton Johannesburg on points for less points than a standard room. The hotel staff could not wait to take us to the Madiba Suite where Mandela and other world leaders had stayed. As someone else mentioned in the thread the odds are the staff might be more excited than you, but odds are they won't even care - this is after all NYC and you're just another one of 8 million.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by nk15
Just outrageous, I am surprised that anyboby pays that kind of money, it is just a cold winter city, even with the holiday décor not worth more than $150-200/night, tops...
Ultimately, supply and demand set hotel rates, not your individual opinion of what hotel rates "should" be or what people "should" pay. Economics 101.

To the OP: Which HGI is it? Hilton Garden Inn NYC Financial Center (6 Water St, NYC 10004)?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Ultimately, supply and demand set hotel rates, not your individual opinion of what hotel rates "should" be or what people "should" pay. Economics 101.

To the OP: Which HGI is it? Hilton Garden Inn NYC Financial Center (6 Water St, NYC 10004)?
Touché, I am just the kid that shouts that the Emperor has no clothes on, and you da mom horrified "have you gone mad, child?"

I just want the OP to enjoy their trip with the confidence that he/she is still being taken advantage of, not the other way around...
Old Nov 27, 2019, 8:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf

It's the one on Times Square. I've never stayed in that area before.

I was not satisfied with my high rate at another hotel so I periodically checked. All of sudden one day (actually 2 days), this particular HGI was about half the price of others. I didn't bite the first day being suspicious at the location and quality of the hotel being an old Days Inn. However, the next day, I caved and made a reservation. The following day, it was back to what others were charging.

The rate I paid was low compared to other hotels but compared to other times of the year, it's not cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.