FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Will Hilton Garden Inn accept price error? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1996988-will-hilton-garden-inn-accept-price-error.html)

Toshbaf Nov 25, 2019 8:40 pm

Will Hilton Garden Inn accept price error?

I saw a rate for a Hilton Garden Inn at $190/night for 2 days in a row but now it is back up to about $350-450/night for that hotel and all Hilton brands in Manhattan for a day in December. The $190 rate might have been an error. The other Hilton brands were not that low but kept stable in the $350-450 range.

Will they demand more when I check in and refuse to honor the reservation? If it was an error, it wasn't that far off. It wasn't a $1 rate or a $35 rate.

Other chains in Manhattan are the same mid-300's or higher rate.

dlaue Nov 25, 2019 9:26 pm

If you can book it at that rate, they will honor it. Hotels have lots of unpublished rates, some at deep discounts such as those for Hilton employees. Your rate will not even raise an eyebrow.

Toshbaf Nov 25, 2019 9:30 pm

You're probably right. The rate was a good rate but not a steal. In January, the rates are even lower in Manhattan.

TravelingZoomer Nov 25, 2019 10:13 pm

I had a booking, because of errors for conversion, total to about 8 USD at Conrad Bangkok.

They honored it and even “congratulated” me a few days before arrival when asking when I would fly in.

Of course it’s a case by case basis but I find that Hilton seems to honor mistake rates that I’ve found over the years

writerguyfl Nov 26, 2019 12:11 am

This type of issue is one handled by each individual hotel. What one hotel does is pretty much irrelevant at another hotel. Showing up and saying "But the Hilton in Narnia honored their mistake rate" isn't going to get a different hotel to change their mind about their own mistake rate.

That said, I wouldn't consider $190 to be a mistake at a Hilton Garden Inn...even in Manhattan. Don't focus on the specific days you're travelling. If you see other dates at that hotel with lower rates, you have nothing about which to worry.

nmpls Nov 26, 2019 12:41 am

Don't ever use the word error in the conversation. Once you call it an error rate or fare, you've lost.
Also, there are totally hotels where you get swings like that. I'm switching hotels midway through a trip in SF because the 1st hotel goes for $180 to 400 for reasons that probably make sense to the hotel. I've also booked hotels at low rates that go up quite a bit, likely because they ran their weekly/monthly numbers and decided they had a lot of bookings already and could charge more.

ajeleonard Nov 26, 2019 2:59 am

You booked during a flash sale. As far as you know there is no error.

warakorn Nov 26, 2019 3:33 am

Automated yield management may sometimes result in very low fares.
The hotels are - of course - obliged to honor these reservations/contracts.

Miesque Nov 26, 2019 7:33 am

Make sure you have a printed version of your reservation with the rate on it when you arrive (I actually always print a copy when I make a reservation)

serpens Nov 26, 2019 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Miesque (Post 31778445)
Make sure you have a printed version of your reservation with the rate on it when you arrive (I actually always print a copy when I make a reservation)

Do you believe it is important to have a paper version rather than a PDF? On the two occasions in the past year when hotels have tried to charge me more than my confirmation indicated, the front desk clerks looked at PDFs of the confirmations and made adjustments. Have I just been lucky? (I already travel with too much paper.)

Miesque Nov 26, 2019 9:48 am

Originally Posted by serpens (Post 31778936)
Do you believe it is important to have a paper version rather than a PDF? On the two occasions in the past year when hotels have tried to charge me more than my confirmation indicated, the front desk clerks looked at PDFs of the confirmations and made adjustments. Have I just been lucky? (I already travel with too much paper.)

I suppose a pdf would suffice if you happen to have a tablet on you when checking in, its just easier for me to pull out a piece of paper from the trip file in my briefcase

Often1 Nov 26, 2019 10:43 am

If it isn't an error, you are fine. If it is an error, nobody here can tell you what one random employee at one random property will do.in one random situation. Thus, I would not worry about it.

I always have a printed copy of travel paperwork in a file. I don't travel with a tablet and firing up a laptop to show a PDF seems a PITA. Not just for errors, but missing reservations and whatever else can go wrong.

turtlemichael Nov 26, 2019 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31779149)
If it isn't an error, you are fine. If it is an error, nobody here can tell you what one random employee at one random property will do.in one random situation. Thus, I would not worry about it.

I always have a printed copy of travel paperwork in a file. I don't travel with a tablet and firing up a laptop to show a PDF seems a PITA. Not just for errors, but missing reservations and whatever else can go wrong.

I used to print everything. As I am an early booker and rates often come down I change bookings regularly. I guess I am responsible for the devastation of several forests. So now I just keep a list and am happy to turn on my laptop at the front desk if need be. It rarely is needed.

nk15 Nov 26, 2019 8:07 pm

Dude, are you serious? $190/night at a HGI, you are getting ripped off even in NYC at Christmas. You should be outraged, not feeling guilty...NYC hotels are just a scam in general, boycott them....I am done paying anything over $150-200/night anywhere in the world, even for holidays in big cities...

Toshbaf Nov 26, 2019 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by nk15 (Post 31780836)
Dude, are you serious? $190/night at a HGI, you are getting ripped off even in NYC at Christmas. You should be outraged, not feeling guilty...NYC hotels are just a scam in general, boycott them....I am done paying anything over $150-200/night anywhere in the world, even for holidays in big cities...

I checked earlier today and now all Hilton brands in Manhattan are $450-$650/night and higher on that weekday night in December, even the Hampton brand.