Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton's turn - Nebraska AG sues Hilton over resort fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton's turn - Nebraska AG sues Hilton over resort fees

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by storewanderer

Of course the airlines have taken a step on this and with the varying baggage fees, seat fees, early check in fees, etc. they are on a path where the advertised price is not always that easy to compare either. But it is better than before.
That is quite different - they aren’t adding a mandatory fee for features/services that you may not want to use or deserve due to status. They are unbundling features. Resort fees aren’t about unbundling.
ijgordon and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
This statement confirmed 1) hilton hide the fee very well, 2) it warrant the lawsuit.
try search "Las Vegas". For example, on a random date in sept, a $85 double tree with a resort fee of $37, dont you think its deceptive ? It's over 40% mark up from its advertised price on third parties or even their own booking site.
I wasn't talking about Las Vegas. I was talking about Nebraska where there are no hotels that charge the resort fee. It was the Nebraska AG that filed suit. In my mind the AG of the state where the hotel is committing the infraction should be the one filing suit. However, I am not a lawyer and another poster said since the transaction is booked when the person is in Nebraska that gives the AG the right to sue.
Grog likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by kklems
I wasn't talking about Las Vegas. I was talking about Nebraska where there are no hotels that charge the resort fee. It was the Nebraska AG that filed suit. In my mind the AG of the state where the hotel is committing the infraction should be the one filing suit. However, I am not a lawyer and another poster said since the transaction is booked when the person is in Nebraska that gives the AG the right to sue.
All states have general consumer protection statutes. The AG would be suing for false advertising (advertising a room rate which is not possible to get) and unfair competition (competing hotels advertising a lower rate without imposing a hidden mandatory fee lose business to the hotel being sued).
Grog, writerguyfl, nacho and 1 others like this.

Last edited by dlaue; Jul 30, 2019 at 10:35 am
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Pro-Business doesn't mean regulation on customer notification or borderline fraud is against the business. All the pro-business folks reminder seat belts was fought by the auto industry for decades. Banks were left unregulated and made tons of money until they caused the housing crisis which the tax payer had to bail them out.

On this resort fee - there is a difference between taxes which passes on to the municipality vs. charging someone for toll-free calls, Internet, fitness center when a hotel knows no one uses the phone (besides room service), INET must be available and free and fitness center usage is based on the hotel chain (e.g. Hampton Inn doesn't need as nice of a fitness gym vs. a W). Parking, beach towels, etc. are things the hotel needs to attract guest and mandatory. But, deception if someone doesn't have a car nor uses the beach/pool. I hope Nebraska sets the bar for other states to stop this practice which I think does limit tourist. I rarely visit Vegas because of this practice and don't mind paying for a hotel room just don't wish to argue or incur resort fees for just a bed and shower.
Grog and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:46 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Hopefully something happens in Vegas.. it's crazy now that resort fees often exceed the actual room stay costs on cheap nights.
Wasn’t it Las Vegas that started resort fees in the first place?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
I just hope that these major brands don't try something like this in the UK or mainland Europe .
Grog likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:50 am

Any "fee" which is not optional should be included in the price listed on a hotel search. And any optional fee of $10 a day or more should be clearly disclosed prior to accepting a reservation (parking, internet, beach chair use, etc.). Since resort fees are generally not optional, they are simply an attempt to mislead consumers as to the real cost of the hotel stay. I'm not a lawyer, but if this practice isn't illegal, it should be.
Grog, dlaue, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by Neal

Wasn’t it Las Vegas that started resort fees in the first place?
Not to my recollection. I think I first encountered the fee in Miami (or perhaps Orlando?). At that time we would have traveled to Las Vegas at least annually and I do not remember seeing the fee there at that time.

And, the resort fee scam has metastasized to Canada already.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
The real issue here to me is that these fees are hidden - in some cases very well hidden. If resort fees exist they should be very clearly disclosed and shown in any total balance for a stay before it is booked.

In fairness to Hilton I actually think they do a relatively good job at displaying these compared to some other chains.
I expect more. My very first glance at any 'rate' anywhere should net me an accurate picture as to the full price. I don't want to have to wait and see it just before clicking 'Book'.
dlaue and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 1:26 pm

The situation with airlines is different, because a) you actually get something extra for each incremental fee, and b) the fees are optional. The resort fees are often touted as covering wifi, parking, and use of the pool. Guess what...I took an Uber to your hotel, did not use the pool, and my phone provides internet access.
Sisosig and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Error 601
A friend who works in management at a Vegas resort says market research is showing that resort fees are giving Las Vegas a terrible reputation in UK and Australia.
You'd expect that, as the splitting out of compulsory charges is illegal in Australia. It surprises me that the Australian authorities haven't taken action against Hilton, Marriott, etc, as they are breaking Australian law by advertising incomplete rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.