Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade from Ascend to Aspire.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
AMEX isn't going to pair off the original $1K charge with the $1K refund and then try to claw back on that basis
I wouldn't count on that. Amex hasn't done that to date, but OTOH in the past they've done other kinds of clawbacks retroactively after not doing them before that, so there is precedent to suggest they might start clawing back (or worse) once they spot that this going on (which is not hard if they read FlyerTalk).
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I wouldn't count on that. Amex hasn't done that to date, but OTOH in the past they've done other kinds of clawbacks retroactively after not doing them before that, so there is precedent to suggest they might start clawing back (or worse) once they spot that this going on (which is not hard if they read FlyerTalk).
strongly disagree. there is no risk as long as the $1K refund credit is being more than offset by new spend at the time the refund posts. there are a lot more likely risks to just make up and start worrying about than this one.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:46 pm

I upgraded my card to Aspire in May. I met the minimum spend required of $4k two weeks ago. It's already been 80 days since I upgraded and the 30+ days since annual fee got charged.

I have not seen my 150,000 points credited. I have not seen my free night certificate credited either.

The last time I upgraded last year, I got the email 60 days after upgrade that the free night certificate was available. The 150.000 points also credited within days after meeting minimum spend. Did Amex change the time frame of awarding upgrade/sign up bonus for the Aspire as well as awarding the free night certificate?
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Originally Posted by ST_Hawaii
The last time I upgraded last year, I got the email 60 days after upgrade that the free night certificate was available. The 150.000 points also credited within days after meeting minimum spend. Did Amex change the time frame of awarding upgrade/sign up bonus for the Aspire as well as awarding the free night certificate?
I just upgraded last month,.My 150k posted immediately after meeting spend. The night came after my pro-rated AF showed up. You best call AMEX, wouldn't be surprised if since you upgraded last year they flagged you for doing it twice. Let us know what they say.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Colin

tip for those with the no annual fee card.

i first upgraded to the $95 Ascend card and got 150K bonus points.

couple weeks later upgraded tp the $450 Aspire card and got another 150K bonus points.
Thanks. Where do you find the Ascend upgrade offer? I only see the Aspire upgrade offer online.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: Primarily Hilton & Delta
I currently have the Surpass (Ascend) card. About 3 weeks ago I had an offer to upgrade to Aspire (150k points for $4k spend) pop-up in my AMEX account landing page online. At that time I was a few hundred dollars short of hitting the $15k spend for the free weekend night on the Surpass. I wanted to hit it before I upgraded. Since then, the offer has disappeared and is no where to be found on my account. I have now earned the free weekend night on the Surpass and would like to upgrade to Aspire. My second year annual fee for Surpass has not hit yet, but the account was opened in October 2018. Any thoughts? I did find this link ( https://online.americanexpress.com/d...details#/cshop ) online that says it is available until 11/21. Same terms as the upgrade I was offered.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Tried the link above and got: We're sorry. The Card Apply Site is temporarily down.

I guess I'll try later.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:36 pm

The link worked for me. At least it said "Your Account has been Upgraded! We will send you the new card within 7-10 days. Until then, just keep using the same card", after logging in with my AMEX credentials and confirming my Surpass card. No email confirming or anything showing yet on my AMEX online account. Hopefully it all updates by tomorrow.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by rcmiller
The link worked for me. At least it said "Your Account has been Upgraded! We will send you the new card within 7-10 days. Until then, just keep using the same card", after logging in with my AMEX credentials and confirming my Surpass card. No email confirming or anything showing yet on my AMEX online account. Hopefully it all updates by tomorrow.
Update: The link did in fact work. My AMEX account updated to Aspire late last night and my HH account updated to Diamond status this morning. I took a screen shot of the offer just in case the bonus points don't show up after meeting the spend.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:09 am

I upgraded a couple of nights ago and I see that my card is now showing online as "Aspire" and Hilton status is Diamond.

Does that mean that spend on my current Ascend/Surpass card prior to getting the new card in the mail counts towards the spend requirement? Or do I have to wait to get a new card in the mail? What about using the existing card for airline reimbursements? I already selected my airline.

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by aceman
More importantly a 5k spend that I made 3 days BEFORE I upgraded counted to my 4k spend requirement, and when I logged into my amex account I saw that the card was upgraded and the points were already in my hilton account!
Originally Posted by md125
Does that mean that spend on my current Ascend/Surpass card prior to getting the new card in the mail counts towards the spend requirement?
I guess it does work... Any other data points?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by md125
I upgraded a couple of nights ago and I see that my card is now showing online as "Aspire" and Hilton status is Diamond.

Does that mean that spend on my current Ascend/Surpass card prior to getting the new card in the mail counts towards the spend requirement? Or do I have to wait to get a new card in the mail? What about using the existing card for airline reimbursements? I already selected my airline.

Thanks!
I did this back in the summer. All my charges starting the day after I was approved counted as Aspire, even with the old card.
md125 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Does everyone get the upgrade offer at the ~12 month mark? Or just people who spend enough?

The current "public" offer ends Nov 21. Do these come up often, or is it a rare event?

Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Does everyone get the upgrade offer at the ~12 month mark? Or just people who spend enough?

The current "public" offer ends Nov 21. Do these come up often, or is it a rare event?

Thanks.
I got my offer 2 weeks after the anniversary.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by FlugE
I got my offer 2 weeks after the anniversary.
I got the 150k for upgrading to Surpass offer, and it was about a month after my one year anniversary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.