Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

temp - move failed to delete from original thread

temp - move failed to delete from original thread

Old May 25, 04, 4:19 pm

Arrow [ARCHIVE to 2014] Millennium Hilton Bangkok {THA}

The ship-like "ghost hotel", a casualty of the 1997 crash located on a prime site on the Thon Buri side of the Chao Phraya River, is about to be revived.

The 32-storey property, designed with 550 rooms and managed by Accor under the Sofitel brand, will be renovated into a five-star hotel under Hilton International's Millennium Hilton brand.
More info and pics: http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/bui.../sofitel.shtml

I vaguely recall seeing this building while going upriver. As far as I know, it was never put into revenue service by Sofitel. Certainly a welcome addition to the Hilton portfolio in BKK
Old May 25, 04, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
I remember seeing this building while cruising on the river, but I had no idea it was empty! I can't recall exactly where on the river it is located. Too bad it's on the Thonburi side though...
Old May 25, 04, 5:21 pm

Checking some of my photos, it appears the building is the next major one upstream of the Peninsula, not as far as I had thought. On the second pic of the link, the building across the river looks rather like the ROS.

If there is a boat stop nearby, and space enough for some grounds, this could be a fair location for tourist purposes.
Old May 25, 04, 6:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
IIRC that's the vacant hotel that's directly across the river from the Sheraton. If so there's a boat crossing just upstram that goes just upstream of the Sheraton. I'll check my trip photos and report back.

EDIT:
OK, I'm back. Yes, that's the hotel right across from the Sheraton. We had heard the "sinking building" stories when we were there in 2002. Yet another reason to make a return trip sometime in late '05...

Last edited by pdhenry; May 25, 04 at 6:24 pm
Old May 29, 04, 6:12 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
I have also been told - on more than one occassion - that the reason it was abandoned was because it was 'sinking', or at least in danger of doing so.

Maybe Hilton have found a way to stop it falling into the River
Old May 29, 04, 5:37 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG
Or maybe the Presidential Suite will be the Jules Verne Suite and 2000 Leagues Under the Chao Phraya!!

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
I have also been told - on more than one occassion - that the reason it was abandoned was because it was 'sinking', or at least in danger of doing so.

Maybe Hilton have found a way to stop it falling into the River
Old Jun 1, 04, 6:32 am

Programs: BA G; TK E+; MBV LTTE; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Hilton eyes more hotels in Bangkok & Chiang Mai

Hot after acquiring a hotel project in Bangkok, Hilton International, a hotel operator of the UK-based Hilton Group, said it was on the look out for at least one to two more projects in Bangkok and one in the northern town of Chiang Mai.

Business Day report
Old Jun 4, 04, 4:25 am

Passed the building yesterday on an Express Boat and had a closer look.
Looks like it will take some effort to make a Hilton property of this abandoned building. Some windows are shattered, some other standig open, overall condition of the building seems not to be very good.
However, I am looking forward so seeing a Hilton Hotel in Bangkok again (since price and occupation rate of the excellent Conrad Bangkok has increased significantly).
Old Oct 22, 04, 7:04 pm

Work has begun in earnest

I've just returned from 3 weeks in Bangkok, and am happy to report to all Hilton aficionados that work on the riverside hotel began in earnest last week. Due to the many ongoing construction projects in the city, Hilton's contractor was having trouble finding enough crew to deal with the workload. Apparently, this hurdle has been overcome.

The rumour, propagated mainly by tour guides, that the hotel was sinking and litigation between Sofitel and its insurers caused its abandonment for many years is actually false. In truth, it was simply a casualty of the '97 economic meltdown, much the same as KL's abandoned Hyatt project still is. The original backers/banks pulled out, a few bankruptcies ensued, no new buyers were found for a hotel property in a soft market and that is why it remained empty for so long. Of course, the sinking tale is much more entertaining. Actually, a number of hotels and buildings along the Chao Phraya have sunk or tilted to a certain degree. This doesn't mean they are about to topple. Structural engineering in the 21st century has seen to that.

From what I've been told, by someone who represented another hotel chain interested in its purchase, the hotel was 80% complete at the time of abandonment. However, major work has to be redone, and a gutting of the interior and resurfacing of the exterior will most likely prevent this Hilton Millenium from opening any sooner than October 2005.
Old Oct 23, 04, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by mtresc
Looks like it will take some effort to make a Hilton property of this abandoned building. Some windows are shattered, some other standig open, overall condition of the building seems not to be very good.
Hummmmm the description sounds vaguely like the Hampton Inn San Diego-Sea World/Airport. I hope its not the same management staff.
Old Oct 23, 04, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Last year I had a view of that hotel from my room at the Royal Orchid Sheraton across the river. I wondered about it, then wondered if the "sinking building" stories were true when I heard them.

It'll be a welcome addition to have another HHonors property open since the other Hilton changed affiliations some time ago. The Conrad is very nice, but a riverside Hilton will be good to have as well.
Old Jan 14, 05, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Saw the hotel from the Sheraton last week. If nothing else, the name of the hotel has been pasted on the building. Some green tarp on the side of the building and the front still seemed boarded up.
Old Jan 14, 05, 1:42 pm

I want the old Hilton back...nicest staff in BKK (not fake nice, but genuine, and never a 20 minute wait to get a drink in the lounge like at the conrad) and the gardens/pool area were beautiful.

The new Hilton will be just the same as the ROS or Shangri La on the other side of the river...nice but very little to differentiate it from the others. I hope they don't try some "hip" theme like conrad or swissotel...they already seem tired.
Old Jun 10, 05, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
The new Bangkok Hilton - when?

Does anybody know when the new Bangkok Hilton is scheduled to open?
Old Jun 10, 05, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Well, earlier announcements and rumours had it by end of this month (1st half of 2005) but as of 12 March, this seems to have been pushed back to end of this year. http://213.131.169.243/main.asp?page=709 Someone mentioned construction labour shortage was a problem.

Somewhat similar, the Whistler property is supposed to be open this month but not likely for another 2 (and this one is only a reno).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: