Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton La Romana {DOM}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by pharmflyer
I stayed back in November, we absolutely loved it! Would highly recommend the resort to anyone wanting to stay there.

To answer your question, I booked through the hiltonbyplaya website, entered my HHonors number while booking, and it showed up in the Hilton App about 2-ish weeks after doing so (i'm sure there's some time for Playa Resorts to send information over to Hilton). All points/nights posted the next day after checkout. Hopefully this helps!

Editing to add: also the reason I booked through Play Resorts was not having to pre-pay
Okay perfect, glad you had a good time! We also booked with Playa to avoid the prepayment. Good to hear it popped up in the app, I was messaging Hilton live chat to see if they could and essentially said it’s the resort’s thing to deal with. What did you receive in terms of Diamond benefits—is the premium/club level guaranteed or just access to the lounge? Any info about upgrades would be nice too, hoping for an upgrade but with connecting rooms I’m not sure if it’s likely. TIA!
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by andy_dangg
Okay perfect, glad you had a good time! We also booked with Playa to avoid the prepayment. Good to hear it popped up in the app, I was messaging Hilton live chat to see if they could and essentially said it’s the resort’s thing to deal with. What did you receive in terms of Diamond benefits—is the premium/club level guaranteed or just access to the lounge? Any info about upgrades would be nice too, hoping for an upgrade but with connecting rooms I’m not sure if it’s likely. TIA!
Yeah don't wprry about it - takes 2 weeks to reflect pretty much anything in the app haha .No idea about upgrades unfortunately, I'm not a Diamond (I'm only Gold now and was Silver when I stayed), and we booked premium outright
Old Jan 5, 2022, 4:15 am

Anyone scuba dive here and want to share their experience? I recently got my open-water PADI certification and am looking for new diving experiences.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:22 pm

Hilton diamond member here, considering traveling to the adults only resort this spring for a 4-5 night stay. Any recent travelers care to share their experience with the following:

How was the free COVID testing provided at the resort?
What does the premium upgraded alcohol include?
PUJ transit through hotel or private company?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Stayed there last April :

1. it was ok , results were late , test were taken in the resort’s conference hall
2. It includes unlimited foreign liquor and cocktails with foreign liquor at the premium areas ( pool and beach zone)
3. Hotel airport transfer is 15-25% more expensive, good idea if counting on a nice upgrade
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by s777bg
Stayed there last April :

1. it was ok , results were late , test were taken in the resort’s conference hall
2. It includes unlimited foreign liquor and cocktails with foreign liquor at the premium areas ( pool and beach zone)
3. Hotel airport transfer is 15-25% more expensive, good idea if counting on a nice upgrade
Can you elaborate what you mean by the upgrade comment?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond , Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Resorts tend to upgrade to nicer rooms when they realize people are willing to spend in the resort.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Hilton diamond member here, considering traveling to the adults only resort this spring for a 4-5 night stay. Any recent travelers care to share their experience with the following:

How was the free COVID testing provided at the resort?
What does the premium upgraded alcohol include?
PUJ transit through hotel or private company?
Stayed end of Nov 2021
1) It was fine - you fill out a form when you check in to "sign up" and then go to the conference center in a big room where you get a number and they call you up to get it. Little bit of a cluster since it wasn't well organized but got the results in plenty of time to go home.
2) The "premium" areas (lounge and pool) have slightly different options - I'm a gin drinker and they didn't have Bombay at the premium pool bar but had it both at the regular and premium lobby bars so YMMV. Vodkas are stuff like Skyy/Absolut (per the girlfriend, I didn't have any), not sure what else was on offer since I either drank gin or beer.
3) I used the same company the Hotel uses (Transkeur) but was much cheaper going directly through them than through the hotel. We did love them by the way!
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:08 am

I've seen previous commenters note that on points bookings, the extra child increases the point rate...however for my dates, it's showing the rate to remain at 80k points per night no matter if I have 2 adults or 3 adults. Should I expect to be charged for that 3rd adult at check in?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer Elite Gold, HHonors Diamond
Stayed there in November 2021 and was very satisfied with the stay. Friendly staff, quite a variety of restaurants with some solid food. Also don't forget to book the butler service if you're going to stay in a club room (butler even seems to be included without any extra charges for suites). Makes life a lot easier, especially when it comes to reserving good spots for your sunbed.

What left me irritated though is how they deal with exchange rates. Had to pay a total of 3489USD (after taxes and all fees). Actual (real) exchange rate on the day of arrival was 1USD = 56,51DOP, but they defined a "fixed" exchange rate of 1USD = 63,72DOP. I was only allowed to pay in local currency (DOP), not in USD or EUR (which is the actual currency of my Amex).
Instead of the original rate the final total came to 3536USD (after taxes and all fees). I'm absolutely aware of any extra charges due to the use of credit card and kept these beside the calculation as they were charged individually.

When asking why they handle it this way, they told me that "hotels in the Carribbean are forced to go by a fixed exchange rate and are requested to do so by the government". This is not a big deal at all, I was just wondering if it's really a fact what they told me. Especially as I noticed there were two other guests that had to debate some irregularities regarding their invoice (one during my check-in, one during the check-out). Also I've never experienced such randomly "generated" exchange rates when staying at other hotels.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by ToKo
Stayed there in November 2021 and was very satisfied with the stay. Friendly staff, quite a variety of restaurants with some solid food. Also don't forget to book the butler service if you're going to stay in a club room (butler even seems to be included without any extra charges for suites). Makes life a lot easier, especially when it comes to reserving good spots for your sunbed.

What left me irritated though is how they deal with exchange rates. Had to pay a total of 3489USD (after taxes and all fees). Actual (real) exchange rate on the day of arrival was 1USD = 56,51DOP, but they defined a "fixed" exchange rate of 1USD = 63,72DOP. I was only allowed to pay in local currency (DOP), not in USD or EUR (which is the actual currency of my Amex).
Instead of the original rate the final total came to 3536USD (after taxes and all fees). I'm absolutely aware of any extra charges due to the use of credit card and kept these beside the calculation as they were charged individually.

When asking why they handle it this way, they told me that "hotels in the Carribbean are forced to go by a fixed exchange rate and are requested to do so by the government". This is not a big deal at all, I was just wondering if it's really a fact what they told me. Especially as I noticed there were two other guests that had to debate some irregularities regarding their invoice (one during my check-in, one during the check-out). Also I've never experienced such randomly "generated" exchange rates when staying at other hotels.
I also stayed in November 2021 and also was charged significantly more than what I was quoted (1850 US vs 1360 US). After 3 weeks of back and forth with both Playa Resorts and Hilton corporate I was refunded most of the difference (Minus some variations in exchange rate as you mentioned), so I would be very aware of what was charged staying there in the future
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by pharmflyer
I also stayed in November 2021 and also was charged significantly more than what I was quoted (1850 US vs 1360 US). After 3 weeks of back and forth with both Playa Resorts and Hilton corporate I was refunded most of the difference (Minus some variations in exchange rate as you mentioned), so I would be very aware of what was charged staying there in the future
jus curios did u book direct?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kerrirdh
jus curios did u book direct?
yes, we booked directly!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer Elite Gold, HHonors Diamond
Same here, booked via hilton.com. And was told by the supervisor that „if you would have paid cash instead of CC, it would have been the exact amount of 3489USD“. Would be a nice try for next time though to see what they do if I really want to pay cash…
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:24 pm

Please help La Romana DR point stay logistics and transportation ?

Hi,
planning week long stay La Romana adult only for a week in July 2022.

1st question… best way to get to resort from airport!!

2nd I’m looking at the last week July anyone familiar with weather is this rainy?

3rd…do you recommend this resort , I was also thinking of Jamaica Rose Hall,
thanks

Most important.. If I book points and cash stay do I have to change rooms?
and if I book higher room category cash , what’s chances I keep same room on points?
thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.