Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Using my HH number on a reservation made under my wife's name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before -- I searched around and couldn't find anything.

Through my wife's work, we have an upcoming 30+ day stay but they've booked the reservation under her name only. I'm usually the one who travels for work, so all the Hilton points and status is under my name and she has no HH account at all. Since I will be staying with her for the entire stay, is it possible to add my Hilton Honors number to the reservation to collect points and get free breakfast, etc? Or is there some better approach to this?

Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:30 am

From the Accrual of Points section of the Hilton Honors Terms and Conditions: "2. To earn Hilton Honors Points or credit toward tier status for hotel stays, a Member must be a registered, paying and staying guest at a participating hotel within the Hilton Portfolio and meet all of the conditions described herein."
Source: https://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/...rual_of_points

If your wife's work requires the reservation to be in her name and paid by her, you're likely out of luck.

As to getting benefits like breakfast, hotels aren't obligated to provide them unless the reservation is made under the name of the Honors member with status. That said, most hotels don't know that, don't care, want to be nice, or want to avoid the hassle of having people switch names on the folio at check-in just to get breakfast and/or internet. So most hotels will give those benefits if they see an elite-level Honors account attached to the reservation.

That's my understanding of the way it works.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You won't get points unless the reservation is in your name. She can sign up to Honors and send you the points later - no elite bonus though.

The hotel might grant you benefits if you show your card and politely ask for them. Not guaranteed though.

Not too many people have the free time to tag along for the entirety of a partner's 30-day work trip, so be advised that attempting to "transfer" your benefits without being physically present is something that could lead to an account closure.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:52 am
cjd

Originally Posted by TheSpruceMoose
Apologies if this has been asked/answered before -- I searched around and couldn't find anything.

Through my wife's work, we have an upcoming 30+ day stay but they've booked the reservation under her name only. I'm usually the one who travels for work, so all the Hilton points and status is under my name and she has no HH account at all. Since I will be staying with her for the entire stay, is it possible to add my Hilton Honors number to the reservation to collect points and get free breakfast, etc? Or is there some better approach to this?

Thanks!
Might be worth your wife paying for one of the AMEX cards which give Diamond status. Could be worth it on a 30 day stay in order to guarantee the extra bonus points and Diamond benefits. Also be aware that on such a long stay, there is a limit of 100,000 Base points at most Hilton group hotels. This cap doesn't apply at Canopy™ by Hilton, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, Tapestry Collection by Hilton™, Tru by Hilton™, Homewood Suites by Hilton, Home2 Suites by Hilton, and Waldorf Astoria Jeddah – Qasr Al Sharq hotels.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:11 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Her work wants her to spend 30+ days away from home and won't pay for breakfast???
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks all -- this is more or less what I expected to hear. We'll see if we can get the reservation modified.

This is part of a relocation package that her new job is providing, and we'll have to camp out in the hotel until our stuff makes it across the ocean (4-5 weeks!). I was pleasantly surprised to see that they'd picked a Hilton as our temporary housing. So yes, I'll be right there with her for the full 30 days since I'll have nowhere else to live.

Since this is a relocation and not a work trip, I think they're covering only housing and not food so those free breakfasts will save us a bundle! Looking forward to trying to cook dinners using nothing more than a hotel microwave and a coffee maker....
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Delta Tupperware Medallion, National EE
Thanks all -- this is more or less what I expected to hear. We'll see if we can get the reservation modified.
Looking forward to trying to cook dinners using nothing more than a hotel microwave and a coffee maker....
You can pick up an electric skillet at Walmart (provided you're coming to the US) for $15, and do some amazing meals with it.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Probably makes the most sense to get a credit card with Gold or Diamond status so your wife can get the elite benefits without trying to bend the rules - I would assume the hotel might be more willing to bend the rules for a short stay. But a month of free breakfast might be a bit much on a favor.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Just register your HH No at check-in. Most likely you will get elite benefits for both of you (despite the reservation in the name of your wife). It is more uncertain if the HH points for this stay will end up in your account. If you have the same last name they most likely will.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:19 am
Community Director Emerita

If she earns the points, Hilton now makes it very easy to move the points to your account.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Just add your name and HH number at check in. I do this all the time when colleagues make the reservation for multiple people. Only once did the front desk agent screw up adding my name and number, out of 30 or so times doing this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Thanks!
Yea, completely agree with the above, the front desk will be able to sort it out and put the stay under your name and Hilton number. Unlike airlines, hotels in general are not nearly as strict about name matching and this type of thing. I've had plenty of instances where the front desk was able to switch a room booked under someone else's name to my name/account and vice versa. I would actually just call the hotel beforehand to add your name/number to the stay so they know your status for upgrades, benefits, etc.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:12 pm

Keep in mind, it's possible that your wife's new company specially negotiated a rate that does not provide any points. Or, it might be on a direct bill because it is a 30+ night stay. That means no points, either.

I'm not sure if either of those scenarios means the hotel can also deny elite-level benefits.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
If she earns the points, Hilton now makes it very easy to move the points to your account.
I would have said the same thing until the last couple of weeks:

Why does Hilton keep cancelling my Honors Points Transfer??
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I would actually just call the hotel beforehand to add your name/number to the stay so they know your status for upgrades, benefits, etc.
I did exactly this, and they added my name/number to the reservation and we are all set. Many thanks to you all, I guess I was just overthinking this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.