Search

Amex Certificate Booking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:13 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Amex Certificate Booking

How does one redeem Amex free night certificate? I called the reservation number. Told the agent that I want to redeem the certificate. She didn't ask for the cert number. Just created a reservation for me and said to bring the certificate number to the hotel. This is odd. I'm beginning to suspect she confused certificate with something else. The whole booking by phone thing baffles me.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
Agree that is odd. I called in, stated the hotel that I knew had an award night available and offered the Cert ID. Agent processed and confirmed the night was booked, and it showed up in the app as an award night stay. If you aren't seeing a booked reservation in your profile or have yet to receive a booking confirmation definitely call again.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:24 pm
xyc

Hilton phone agents can see your certificate in your account without asking you for the certificate number, so you might be okay. You can check your reservation status online, and the reservation should have a "Reward Certificate" number. If that number is the same as your Amex certificate number, then you're in perfect shape, and you do not have to bring the certificate number to the hotel. If the number is different, then the phone agent probably used points from your account instead of the certificate, and you should call in to have that reservation cancelled then rebooked with the certificate. If there is no "Reward Certificate" number, you're probably booked with a cash rate, which you should likewise call to cancel and rebook. Good luck!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
FYI posted in another thread, but not working right now.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...-question.html
Old Nov 7, 2018, 6:16 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Originally Posted by xyc
Hilton phone agents can see your certificate in your account without asking you for the certificate number, so you might be okay. You can check your reservation status online, and the reservation should have a "Reward Certificate" number. If that number is the same as your Amex certificate number, then you're in perfect shape, and you do not have to bring the certificate number to the hotel. If the number is different, then the phone agent probably used points from your account instead of the certificate, and you should call in to have that reservation cancelled then rebooked with the certificate. If there is no "Reward Certificate" number, you're probably booked with a cash rate, which you should likewise call to cancel and rebook. Good luck!
You were right. Contacted Hilton. They said they made as mistake, then canceled and rebooked the reservation. Many thanks.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by a7m

You were right. Contacted Hilton. They said they made as mistake, then canceled and rebooked the reservation. Many thanks.
That's happened to me before. It was booked as a cash rate and I was told to take the certificate to the hotel. Called back and they rebooked it for me using the certificate number.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I just went through this, as I just finished my 15k spend. What a disaster! I had an existing reservation with points that I wanted to convert to the reward certificate. I first checked to see if a standard reward room was available (it was) and then called. After being put on hold, I was told it was done but I would have to present my reward # at the hotel to get my points back. I never got a new confirmation and the certificate number on the reservation did not change. I was not real comfortable that this was correct, so I cancelled the reservation online and called back the next day to rebook with the certificate.

When I called back, I was told I had two certificates. One which expired next September and the one I just got. I told them to go ahead and use the September one for the reservation. Only after making the reservation and hanging up did I realize the expiration date was exactly one year from when I made the previous reservation and the new reservation did not have the certificate number of the free weekend night reward. I also never got my points back. I realized this was most likely also incorrect, so I cancelled this reservation and waited for the points to reappear in my account. In about a half hour, the points were back and I called again. Everything seemed to go ok this time as the reservation has the same certificate number as the reward and no points were deducted.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:39 pm

I have a certificate that expires on 11/18/18. Does the expiration date mean actually stay at a property or just book a reservation before the expiration date?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gary2381
I have a certificate that expires on 11/18/18. Does the expiration date mean actually stay at a property or just book a reservation before the expiration date?
It must be consumed or used by that date. That means you need to stay at a hotel by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.