Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Amex Ascend Spend Bonus - 20,000 points for 2,000 in spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Ascend Spend Bonus - 20,000 points for 2,000 in spend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2018, 9:58 pm

Would love to know the answer when you find out.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
Need to look into this: I just got the email, signed up and registered my Ascend.

However...

on my to-do list this weekend was “Upgrade Ascend to Aspire.” But I guess I need to find out if the promo follows the card or can be applied to the potential new Aspire.

Dont want to miss the upgrade 150k bonus, but don’t want to lose this easy 20-40k either.

SO MANY PROMOS!

Would love to know what you find out
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was pretty excited about getting this email until I reminded myself that 20,000 Hilton points are worth about $80.
B3nder likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:22 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was pretty excited about getting this email until I reminded myself that 20,000 Hilton points are worth about $80.
Even using your valuation, that is still 4% cash back on top of the regular value of the points before the bonus so not bad.

And 0.4 cpp is too low as we discussed and debated in other threads a while back. I am disappointed that I have not succeeded in changing your views haha In case you ever head out to Bora Bora and book Conrad with points, you should be able to sniff 2.0 cpp and move up your average redemption rate a tiny bit
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escape4
Even using your valuation, that is still 4% cash back on top of the regular value of the points before the bonus so not bad.
It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but it's nothing to get excited about as Amex offers go. Their cash back offers (e.g., $60 off a $300 stay) often reflect a 20% return, in cash. They've also had the 20k Amex bonus for spending $1k on an AF/KL/AC ticket offers this year . . . that's close to a 40% bonus if you spend the bare minimum.
B3nder likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta

I literally just spent last week in Bali for 20k points. With the biggest HGI breakfast/lunch/dessert buffet I’ve ever seen each day, no less.

Kacee and B3nder like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but it's nothing to get excited about as Amex offers go. Their cash back offers (e.g., $60 off a $300 stay) often reflect a 20% return, in cash. They've also had the 20k Amex bonus for spending $1k on an AF/KL/AC ticket offers this year . . . that's close to a 40% bonus if you spend the bare minimum.
the 20% in your example only applies if you spend $300 exactly. Also, most of the AMEX offers only apply to a specific vendor. This offer lets us spend anywhere without having to spend at Pier One Imports or glasses.com. Not the Deal of the Year, but one that many people, including myself will want to use! Of course one cardholder’s good deal is another cardholder’s “meh!”
Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
the 20% in your example only applies if you spend $300 exactly. Also, most of the AMEX offers only apply to a specific vendor. This offer lets us spend anywhere without having to spend at Pier One Imports or glasses.com. Not the Deal of the Year, but one that many people, including myself will want to use! Of course one cardholder’s good deal is another cardholder’s “meh!”
Old Oct 27, 2018, 7:21 am

I got this offer on my Hilton Honors Amex card (the basic card). I was planning to upgrade the card to an Ascend card and scoop up the signup bonus of 125,000 miles. If I do this, will I lose out on the 20,000 points for 2,000 spend? The Terms & Conditions say that "To receive the Hilton Honors Bonus Points, your Card Account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of fulfillment. ". Fulfillment is shown as 8 weeks after the end of the promotion.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by peter1962
I got this offer on my Hilton Honors Amex card (the basic card). I was planning to upgrade the card to an Ascend card and scoop up the signup bonus of 125,000 miles. If I do this, will I lose out on the 20,000 points for 2,000 spend? The Terms & Conditions say that "To receive the Hilton Honors Bonus Points, your Card Account must not be cancelled or past due at the time of fulfillment. ". Fulfillment is shown as 8 weeks after the end of the promotion.
It's definitely a great added deal if one was already going to keep the card the offer came on and/or already going to put the spend on the card. It would have been GREAT if I got this offer about 2 weeks ago as I just put another $4k on the card then, because I needed $15k spend to get the two weekend certificates on my ascend.

The uncertainty on upgrades to cards affecting the deal make it less great, unless it really credits immediately like some other Amex offers do that give long weeks time periods in the terms. Lots of people have multiple hilton amexes now due to the Citi changeover and the new Hilton cards from this year that they are planning to upgrade or downgrade within a few months from now.

For example, the offer came on my citi converted ascend. Annual fee hits early december. I was going to either upgrade to a second aspire (unlikely but possible) or downgrade to no fee. Keeping the card until February just for this offer costs $95, or $30 at the least. If I were to upgrade to a second aspire, delaying the upgrade costs a weekend night certificate (from the card opening anniversary date). If I were to upgrade or downgrade after meeting offer terms but before february, the $4k (3.1k in my case) spend could all be wasted as the change in product might or might not disqualify from the offer.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:21 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
They've also had the 20k Amex bonus for spending $1k on an AF/KL/AC ticket offers this year . . . that's close to a 40% bonus if you spend the bare minimum.
Never heard of this bonus, was a great one indeed! Too bad I missed it.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:31 am

Even using your valuation, that is still 4% cash back on top of the regular value of the points before the bonus so not bad.:
Agreed. 4% is good. But that's not the full picture. Need to amortize the annual fee (at least if it's an additional Hilton Amex card.... Additionally, 4% is not the "bonus", it's the difference between the earnings on other cards.

That means if it's restaurants or travel, I already get 4.5% so no bonus shifting here. If it's warehouse spending, I'd get 7.5% from chase, so again can't use that spending. If it's cell phone or cable, also 7.5% chase.

So basically we're down to "other" that don't fall into special categories. For "other" the base returns on free credit cards is 2%. That makes 4% an additional 2%. 2% of $4k is $80. Still a great deal but not a lottery win. I don't even usually have $4k in other over a couple months. So that goes to "easy" manufactured spend - Utilities, property taxes, income taxes. All of these eat 2-3% on transaction fees. The current rates for income tax credit payments is 2% (I overpaid $9K to get the weekend night) and my area's property taxes cost 2.1%.

Last edited by B3nder; Oct 27, 2018 at 2:44 pm
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:33 pm

Never heard of this bonus, was a great one indeed! Too bad I missed it.
The AC bonus is still available AFAIK. I have it added to my Plat card.

I was able to use the AF bonus earlier this year. 38k Amex points for that purchase, plus approx. 28k DL for the flight itself.
Originally Posted by Mike B
the 20% in your example only applies if you spend $300 exactly
lol that logic applies in reverse . . . the Hilton bonus is 4% only if you spend exactly $1k or $2k. At $1999, it's a 2% bonus. At $10k it's .8%.
B3nder likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:38 pm

Does anyone know how long the upgrade offers tend to last? I am waiting as I have more spend coming in a month or two but don't want to miss out on my upgrade offer.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I also got the 20,000 pts for $2,000 spend offer, but I have a question: I currently have an $800 credit on that account for something we had to cancel...does that mean I have to charge $2,800 to get the bonus since the first $800 will be zeroed out by the credit, or is it any $2,000 in new charges?

If you're going to use the card anyway, you can get this bonus AND any cash off Hilton stays, I don't think one excludes the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.