Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Expiration: The 12 month expiration date on a certificate means you must reserve and complete the stay by the expiration date. You can't reserve something beyond the 12 month period. You can't extend the expiration date. (Some exceptions starting with this post.)

Eligible Dates: A certificate can be used for a Standard Room Award any day of the week. (Old policy limited them to Fri, Sat, Sun).

Other Notes:
  • If you earned a free night from a credit card and cancel the card, the free night certificate remains intact.
  • If you cancel a reservation made with a free night certificate, the certificate becomes available right away.
  • After making a reservation with a free night certificate, you'll get an email that says you booked a Standard Room Award. It will also show the points value, but no points will actually be deducted.
  • The free night from the Aspire card arrives by email within 2 months of being approved and anniversary date, and the free night from spend on the Aspire/Business/Surpass arrives within a week or sooner of reaching the spending threshold. This is irrespective of your card statement date. If you upgrade from another Hilton Amex to the Aspire, the free night may post more quickly.
  • Available, reserved and used certificates can be seen midway through the My Account page (https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-hon...st/my-account/)
  • If you're waiting for a free night certificate to arrive, Hilton reps say it does not help to make a points reservation and then swap it later. The reason is they have to cancel the old points reservation one and make a new reservation. The old one can't just be edited to change the payment to a FNC.
Archived older notes:
  • From the Hilton email regarding a special 2020 policy on some certificates, "For all unexpired Weekend Night Rewards as of March 11, 2020, and all new ones issued until August 30, 2020, we are extending the expiration date through the end of next summer (August 31, 2021). There is no need for you to do anything, as your certificate(s) are being automatically updated in our systems. We hope this adjustment gives you some additional flexibility for your travels
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Free Night Certificate Questions & Experiences" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
No, it's definitely current and definitely from my Aspire card (says so on the website). All others from last year have long, long been accounted for.

My husband recently got one from the $8K spend on his Surpass and his cert expiration date is 1/25/2023. So while odd it is just a month different, and as I said I'm sure I'll use it before the end of the year.
OMG I am absolutely wrong and stand corrected. The Aspire cert which has JUST shown up in my account is indeed the one I got last Jan/Feb? from my Aspire card? How do I know? I kept the original e-mail and just compared the last 4 digits. This cert has been attached to a reservation since almost the moment I got it.

So I am still waiting on my Aspire renewal cert for "this" year which who knows how long it will take to arrive.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 8:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
Everyone keeps referring to them as weekend certificates, but aren't they good for weekdays too for now?
Yes they are
Old Feb 12, 2022, 1:49 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Everyone keeps referring to them as weekend certificates, but aren't they good for weekdays too for now?
Yes, they may be currently used for any night, depending on the date of issue.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, there were a bunch of posts about this in this thread; seems status and certs were a related problem: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...nt-status.html
Old Feb 14, 2022, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Is there any way to tell which upcoming stay my certificate is reserved for?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
This thread may help -
How to tell if points or free night certificate was used for reservation?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbeckett
Unfortunately, I don't have the original emails that were sent when the reservations were made.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Now that the FNC's show in our accounts, there's an easier way to make sure.

On the first page after logging into my account, I can page down past the status info to the section regarding the FNC. Not only does it show how many FNC's I have and how many are ready to use but on the right side (under "Current Rewards") it shows the FNC is "Reserved for upcoming stay".
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MellieAZ
Now that the FNC's show in our accounts, there's an easier way to make sure.

On the first page after logging into my account, I can page down past the status info to the section regarding the FNC. Not only does it show how many FNC's I have and how many are ready to use but on the right side (under "Current Rewards") it shows the FNC is "Reserved for upcoming stay".
Yes, but unless I am missing something, it doesn't specify which upcoming stay it is reserved for.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Yes, but unless I am missing something, it doesn't specify which upcoming stay it is reserved for.
And one of mine says a hotel that I originally booked at, cancelled, and rebooked at a different hotel. Months ago.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 1:15 pm

It's getting annoying that these certs cannot be booked online. The annoyance is compounded by the fact that there is a 15-20 minute wait to talk to the diamond desk, and some diamond agents don't know how to combine a cert and points in the same reservation. While that's not a terrible wait, it makes HUCA annoying.

You'll rarely hear me say anything good about Marriott but booking their free night certs online is easy, clear, and efficient. On the other hand, Marriott is terrible and slow about redepositing certificates after a reservation is cancelled so maybe it evens out.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes they are.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:23 pm

The wiki says the FNC is unaffected if the HH card is closed. Is this still true once the $15k spending is complete (and before the 8-12 week waiting you have to wait for it to be in your HH account). Planning on finishing spend and closing the card if possible.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by intrinsic
The wiki says the FNC is unaffected if the HH card is closed. Is this still true once the $15k spending is complete (and before the 8-12 week waiting you have to wait for it to be in your HH account). Planning on finishing spend and closing the card if possible.
I don't know who is waiting 8-12 weeks but my FNC is usually in my Hilton account with a couple of days of meeting the spending requirement.
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:13 pm

Is it possible to switch a free night certificate reservation to a points reservation without having to cancel and rebook and risking award availability in the process? Can Hilton just sub out the cert with points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.