Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
The chat agent kept telling me to wait until the 8-week time mark. They're telling me that the Hilton will have to verify the charge and initiate the statement credit (i.e. Hilton is the one who provides the credit, not American Express)... is this how it works for $250 resort credit?
The terms say 8-12 weeks. The agent telling you 8 was mistaken.

This is how it works for credits that don't automatically post. Normally the credit will automatically post on the same day or a couple days after the charge posts.

If it doesn't post automatically but is still qualifying, there is a manual process they submit to have it investigated and credited, but they shouldn't be doing this before 12 weeks after according to the terms. I had to go through this method for my credit but it was otherwise easy. The stay was found on their linked site but in retrospect is likely not one of the "selected" resorts. The agent thus verified the location was booked through the hilton.com/resorts link and should qualify and submitted the ticket indicating such, and the credit posted a couple days later.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:07 pm

I think I'm upgrading an Ascend to an aspire and it's shortly before my anniversary date. Are all prepaids still not working? Trying to figure out if there's a way to take advantage of the cardmember-year based resort credit before the anniversary day hits within a couple weeks.

I already know I should be able to get the airline credit in december for 2018 as that's calendar-based and theoretically should get a night for the upgrade (since it's my first upgrade, although I have an aspire already).

Edit: Nevermind. Called in and was told november was my renewal and I'd be already billed in november. But i haven't yet... (Could have sworn it was Dec @ citi).

Guess I'll only upgrade next year if I end up burning through my already too-many credits early in the year and do it a few months before renewal date.

Last edited by B3nder; Nov 26, 2018 at 10:45 pm
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by B3nder

This is how it works for credits that don't automatically post. Normally the credit will automatically post on the same day or a couple days after the charge posts.

If it doesn't post automatically but is still qualifying, there is a manual process they submit to have it investigated and credited, but they shouldn't be doing this before 12 weeks after according to the terms. I had to go through this method for my credit but it was otherwise easy. The stay was found on their linked site but in retrospect is likely not one of the "selected" resorts. The agent thus verified the location was booked through the hilton.com/resorts link and should qualify and submitted the ticket indicating such, and the credit posted a couple days later.
So does anyone know what happens if you run into a situation where the credit takes 8-12 weeks and thus post after the start of your next card anniversary? For instance, if I stay at a qualifying resort on January 18, 2019 and my card membership year starts March 11, 2019, does this mean that the credit from my stay in January 2019 counts towards my 2019-2020 card membership year instead of my 2018-2019 card membership year? If so, this would be horrible because it would mean I would lose out on a year's worth of resort credits. Sadly, the terms and conditions are vague as to whether the date the resort credit posts to the card account or the date you checked out and the original hotel charge posts to your account is the determining factor for which card membership year a resort credit is applied towards.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:05 am

I have asked that very question and representative told me that it was the posting date not the eventual credit date. HOWEVER I suspect it would actually be the credit date, based on all my prior experience with annual credit funds. Yes this seems to be troublesone if within 3 months of the anniversary. I'm glad I didn't convert a second card yet. Two (close relative who got a 150k upgrade offer and my own) is enough to juggle.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:18 am

wait a minute, you have to book the resort stay through hilton.com/resorts site? I thought the site is only useful as providing a list of qualifying resort. I never thought we have to make the booking through that site. I booked my resort stay with Virtuoso, and paid with Hilton Aspire card at checkout.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:24 am

You're correct you don't have to book through there. I was only explaining how my 12 week manual credit worked.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:37 am

You're correct you don't have to book through there. I was only explaining how my 12 week manual credit worked.
thanks, it kinda sucks that we had to wait for 12 weeks...
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flybie
Hi can someone tell me if the credit can work on other property other than the ones that are listed on the resort site in the wiki?
Be careful of what you ask. You asked if it can work. Yes, it has worked in one or two documented cases to date. Does that mean that it will always work? Not at all. Does that it will work again in the same circumstances? Someone (you?) will have to become the reporting guinea pig to let us know.

One person in the past week or two (but in this thread or another?) mentioned one specific property which isn't on the list but where they got the credit. And then one person got the credit for an advance purchase for non-resorts in the USA, but not a second person has come forward yet to say they got a credit that way too, so for all we know it may have been a one-off mistake. (Advance purchase of both resorts and non-resorts in the USA bill to Hilton central, so Amex cannot tell whether or not you stayed at a resort on an advance purchase in the USA. Amex has only two choices in that case: Assume it wasn't a resort, or assume it was a resort. In that one datapoint they seem to have made the latter guess, but in all previous datapoints they made the former guess.)
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I just wanted to add that if you can get it billed appropriately as Hilton, and it doesn’t credit. Speak with the live agents, they can usually help you if you tell them. Say I didn’t get my resort credit as you can see it posted. You’d be surprised at how nice Amex Customer Care can be, but YMMV....
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:31 pm

I've read through the whole thread but can't seem to find any data points about using the Resort Credit at one of the listed resorts but when you are not actually staying there (so you are not charging the cost to the room). Can anyone confirm if this is possible - ie. making purchases directly from the bar/restaurant/spa/gift shop etc? Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lordvaderman
I've read through the whole thread but can't seem to find any data points about using the Resort Credit at one of the listed resorts but when you are not actually staying there (so you are not charging the cost to the room). Can anyone confirm if this is possible - ie. making purchases directly from the bar/restaurant/spa/gift shop etc? Thanks
This is definitely possible but it all depends on how the charges show up and will vary from hotel to hotel.

If the restaurant/bar/spa/gift shop charges it under the hotel system as the hotel name, i.e the charge appears as "Hilton XYZ" (same as if you had stayed at the hotel) then you will get the credit.

But if the restaurant/bar/spa/gift shop charges it as a unique location, like "Restaurant XYZ", then you won't get the credit.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:53 pm

I am quite convinced that Waldorf Astoria La Quinta resort does NOT trigger $250 resort credit.

I just came back from Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas, and the resort credit posted two days after Waldorf Astoria Las Vegas charge posted.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I am quite convinced that Waldorf Astoria La Quinta resort does NOT trigger $250 resort credit..

It's on the list, so it should, even if not automatically. Have you waited the 8 to 12 weeks discussed above? no.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
It's on the list, so it should, even if not automatically. Have you waited the 8 to 12 weeks discussed above? no.
based on how AmEx credit posting works, if it doesn't post within a week or so (most data points indicate 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 days), it's not gonna post after 8-12 weeks, unless someone manually does it for you.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Exact same details below for me on an AP rate at Tokyo Bay. Posted 11/25 and credited 11/27. I also emailed the hotel to charge it asap.

Originally Posted by ReachMoon
It posted as below, not Advanced purchase stated

HILTON TOKYO BAY
kÎæi] c[zÈÇ
ubÎu 1-8
URAYASU
279-0031
JAPAN
Foreign Spend Amount:XX,XXX JAPANESE YEN
Additional Information: LODGINGLODGING
Reference: XXXXXXXXXX1361
Category: Travel - Lodging

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.