Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Am I the only idiot who sometimes doesn't complete a reservation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I the only idiot who sometimes doesn't complete a reservation?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
To my way of thinking the disparate functionality is not a bad thing in this situation. Turtles like me can use the website and those who want a faster experience can use the app. I don't use the app unless I have to.
Generally speaking, though, in terms of visuals, app designs tend to be better for "turtles", as you say. Because there is less space to work with (and fill up with tons of text), app designers put a lot of thought into getting the information out there front and center, visually, and not burying it. That results in a cleaner interface. The web site could stand to be cleaned up without any loss to you.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
Sadly, a different type of idiot, am I.

I am a different type of idiot. I can't tell you how many times I have hit the backspace, looked over the room choices again. gone back to the reservation page, pressed the final button and then discover that somehow in my dithering ... I have made a same-day reservation instead of a reservation for a particular future date.

D'OH! Homer Simpson Dunderblock time.

So I have to call the Diamond Desk or the hotel directly and have them cancel my incorrect same-day reservation. Fortunately, they are able to look at my reservation time stamps and realize I am calling them within minutes or so of making it for the wrong date. (IF I catch my error that quickly).

But its a different outcome when I don't notice my error immediately. I have waayyy too much experience with fixing this error. Geesch...
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Can’t say that I have ever made that mistake on the Hilton site. I always, no matter what site I book something with, look for a reservation number and then print that page to a pdf file for my permanent record.

But I have made a similar mistake when trying to make a credit card payment from a bank’s website, only to miss the final step. Result: late payment.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Count me in the club. I've shown up to the hotel before insisting I made a reservation...
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Not a problem I have personally encountered although it seems more common than I would have guessed for many.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have done this but luckily I check later to make sure it hits the My Reservation page on my online account.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

For me, the larger problem is the way the web site handles a change of dates. For example, I check availability for one night in city X for the night of the 11th, then change to city Y for the night of the 12th. The web page will not change the departure date, so if I forget to change it, then the second query is for a day room on the 12th.

But if I actually navigate to a specific hotel while checking availability for night of the 11th, and then change to city Y for the night of the 12th, often I am presented with the specific hotel I investigated for the night of the 11th. Fortunately, this error is easy to catch, but I do wonder what is happening behind the scenes.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I don't recognize the problem being discussed here, but I always book via the app if that makes a difference.
Same here - booking via the app is sooo much easier !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.