Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Adding additional guests on arrival

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Just Eat Platinum For Life

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to add additional guests to my stay when I arrive at the hotel (Hilton NY Midtown).

I've got a twin double and want to see if I can bring my partner and child along to stay while I attend a conference.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:20 pm

U.S. hotels don't really charge by occupancy; they charge by room type. Nor do they check names at exec lounges. While I'm not trying to walk any moral fine lines, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the population would just ask for two keys.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks arlflyer. I will consult my moral compass. I just have a concern that I will fly them over from the UK and won't be able to give them anywhere to stay!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
If you're a Hilton Honors member then one of the benefits is no charge for the 2nd guest in your room assuming that room type can handle more than one person. So making the reservation for one and adding another adult at check-in should be OK and you should be able to get 2 keys with no problem.

If you're not a member then you might make a dummy booking far enough along to see if they are one of the occasional US properties that charge extra for a 2nd guest in your room. If they are then it's possible the request for 2 keys would raise an eyebrow. I'm guessing not but it depends on your comfort level with such things.

The SEA Hilton, for example, charges more for 2 adults than for 1 so I always make sure to just book for one when my husband is with me and add a comment that there will be 2 adults in the room.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Westcoaster. I am a Honors member so my partner is good and the hotel says kids under 18 are free, so that seems good too. I did a dummy booking and it all comes out at the same rate so I think we will be okay.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by jayjaygee
I just have a concern that I will fly them over from the UK and won't be able to give them anywhere to stay!
In many years of traveling and reading travel publications I can't say that I've ever heard of a spouse and child being forcibly evicted from a paid stay at a U.S. hotel room with two beds, but I suppose you could be the first...
Old Mar 10, 2018, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Is there a different rate for the room if booked for 2 adults + child (how old?). If so, what is the difference.

Few US hotels still rent single rooms.

You may be fretting over nothing or pennies. If it's nothing or perhaps little, just add the names now and be done with it.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 3:54 pm

If the rate is the same for 1 adult or 2 adults and a kid (as it would be in most US properties), it's helpful to the hotel to provide the actual occupancy when making the reservation. Some hotel staffing is done based on total occupancy, not just total occupied rooms. For example, both Bell Staff and Restaurant Staff will usually be increased if the hotel is there is a big group that has 4 guests per room instead of just 1.

For a single reservation, it won't matter much. But, hotels can make better decisions if they have accurate data.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: UA-Gold, HH-Diamond
...Meanwhile, even when traveling alone I always request 2 keys when asked at check-in. Too often a key just stops working for no reason whatsoever. It's nice to have a spare key so that you don't have to return to the front desk.

-Goat
trooper and wizla like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 9:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jayjaygee
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to add additional guests to my stay when I arrive at the hotel (Hilton NY Midtown).

I've got a twin double and want to see if I can bring my partner and child along to stay while I attend a conference.

Thanks in advance
You'll be fine. No hotel in the US will care, there are no strict room occupancy number laws like there are in some countries in Europe and Asia. Just show up, ask for two room keys, and you're good to go. When you check in you may want to add your partner's name to the reservation so they can also get replacement room keys etc. should they need to.

Neil
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80
No hotel in the US will care, there are no strict room occupancy number laws like there are in some countries in Europe and Asia.
This is not correct. Hotels in the United States most certainly have occupancy limits due to fire codes. Although it's far less likely to be an issue with three guests, one hotel were I used to work had a couple of tiny rooms that could only hold two guests.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.