Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Does room upgrade come with benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:37 am
Original Poster

When a room is upgraded to the next room category (one with lounge access), do we get the lounge access or just the room only?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
You will get lounge access as well.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andriyko
That's what I thought too. The hotel staff told me otherwise. As far as I know, room upgrade comes with the benefits as well. Or is there a hidden rule somewhere that the benefits are only applicable to certain individuals only?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by angelicious
That's what I thought too. The hotel staff told me otherwise. As far as I know, room upgrade comes with the benefits as well. Or is there a hidden rule somewhere that the benefits are only applicable to certain individuals only?
I had a Hilton do this a while back. I only found out about it when I went to access the lounge (across the hall, so convenient) and my card did not work. I was meeting friends for dinner and mentioned on the way out and they tried saying no, I wasn't entitled to access. I objected but went on to dinner. When I returned to my room there was a letter and new keys on the desk saying I was correct and was granted access. I am used to knowing more about the program rules than many of the FDCs, but since they don't get much time to be a member I'm not surprised and deal with it.

If the property refuses to budge you can escalate the issue with HH and hope you get someone that will raise the issue with the property or pass it along to their HH coordinator. It may not help with your visit, but correct their behaviour for the next guest or you next visit.
ptownca likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If the room type states lounge/club access, then you should get access (up to the legal occupancy of that room, of course).

In a "normal" setup where you're on a club floor and your room is next to the lounge, I'm surprised they actually resisted this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I had a Hilton do this a while back. I only found out about it when I went to access the lounge (across the hall, so convenient) and my card did not work. I was meeting friends for dinner and mentioned on the way out and they tried saying no, I wasn't entitled to access. I objected but went on to dinner. When I returned to my room there was a letter and new keys on the desk saying I was correct and was granted access. I am used to knowing more about the program rules than many of the FDCs, but since they don't get much time to be a member I'm not surprised and deal with it.

If the property refuses to budge you can escalate the issue with HH and hope you get someone that will raise the issue with the property or pass it along to their HH coordinator. It may not help with your visit, but correct their behaviour for the next guest or you next visit.
This is an excerpt of their reply to my query - If you book normal room category that doesn't include the benefit, by right you will not be entitled to any benefits with the room upgrade.

I am still waiting for the front office manager to reply to my message. On the other hand, I'm chatting with HH now. HH said I am entitled to the benefits that comes with the room upgrade. I asked 3 times, and HH have confirmed 3 times that I am entitled to the benefits.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
If the room type states lounge/club access, then you should get access (up to the legal occupancy of that room, of course).

In a "normal" setup where you're on a club floor and your room is next to the lounge, I'm surprised they actually resisted this.
I have checked with HH. HH confirmed 3 times that I am entitled to the benefits that comes with the room upgrade. I wonder why the hotel staff said otherwise.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Which hotel is it? That is very strange that they would refuse something that comes with the room.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Which hotel is it? That is very strange that they would refuse something that comes with the room.
PJ Hilton, Malaysia. I hope they will respond to my query very soon.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say you got hosed as long as you are Gold or Diamond. From the Hilton site about lounge access:

6Executive Floor Lounge Access Policy: The following policy applies at all Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Curio - A Collection by Hilton, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, and DoubleTree by Hilton™ and Tapestry Collection by Hilton™ hotels with Executive Floor Lounges. Executive Floor Lounges are available only at select properties.
  • If you are a Hilton Honors guest with Gold status, you and up to one additional registered guest in the same room will be granted complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge only if you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor or an upgrade to a room type that confers Executive Floor Lounge access benefits.
  • If you are a Hilton Honors guest with Diamond status, you and up to one additional registered guest in the same room will always enjoy complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge, even if you do not receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
I would say you got hosed as long as you are Gold or Diamond. From the Hilton site about lounge access:
Thank you. Will check with them again. Or if this is going to be headache, I'll just go to SPG property. It's just across the street.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:59 pm

When a room is upgraded to the next room category (one with lounge access), do we get the lounge access or just the room only?
Are you at least a Hilton Gold?
Terms address Hilton Gold and Diamonds + Lounge access.
They (published terms) do not require property to give Lounge access even for upgraded rooms for non-Gold / Diamond guests.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
This is an excerpt of their reply to my query - If you book normal room category that doesn't include the benefit, by right you will not be entitled to any benefits with the room upgrade.

I am still waiting for the front office manager to reply to my message. On the other hand, I'm chatting with HH now. HH said I am entitled to the benefits that comes with the room upgrade. I asked 3 times, and HH have confirmed 3 times that I am entitled to the benefits.
Yes, sometimes properties will make up their own rules (or at least interpret them to their liking). Unless a guest objects and fails to accept their terms they will try to under-deliver HH benefits or they may grant a "one-time exception" which I hear too many times. I would escalate the issue with HH and ask for their assistance in their compliance. Keep notes on all conversations with dates, times, and names.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
only entitled if HHG or HHD. Non elites do not get lounge unless originally included in booked room or guest pays upsell

same applies if upgraded to a top suite withdescription text includes butler/limo-to-airport perks, if upgraded (even with status) not given.

Alas OP does not show his/her status in HH and is possibly non-elite and hotel is correct.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 7:09 am
Original Poster

HHD, in case you are wondering. Don't assume that I'm not HHD just because I haven't update my profile. Just don't think it's necessary to do so. Most of the time, I lurk around. In case anyone is wondering, the staff got it wrong. The front office manager has resolved this matter for me.
RogerD408 and bitterproffit like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.