Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Hotels near Phoenix, Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Hotels near Phoenix, Arizona, USA {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2002, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Sorry to be a bit off topic. Nevertheless,
Elmhurst, would you be going to PHX for the NASCAR races in early November? I just got back from your neck of the wood checking out the Busch race at Chicagoland.

Old Jul 31, 2002, 2:06 pm

Squaw Peak or Tapatio Cliffs Resort in Phoenix, Arizona & What to do in area?

Which one is better for a family trip (2 boys ages 5 and 8)? I like the fact that Tapatio has an executive lounge and that we'll have complimentary breakfast, snacks, h'ordeuves and dessert (hopefully with my Gold card), but the waterpark description for Squaw Peak sounds awesome. How many days should I book and any suggestions for sightseeing around the Phoenix area would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is the best month or time of year to go?
Old Jul 31, 2002, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Plenty of info here if you run a search. Here are a few relevant threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/001321.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002610.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004163.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004247.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004267.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004487.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/004655.html .

It is pretty hot in PHX from May - September, but not necessarily unbearable. The remainder of the year is glorious.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 3:24 pm

Programs: Ozark Airlines--Lifetime Platinum, Braniff---Diamond, Eastern--Plutonium Motel 6--Guest of the Month
triturus:

I have posted many times about these properties. I love Tapatio. They will upgrade you to an ambassador suite(bigger room in main buildings) or a presidential (bigger room in outlying buildings) as a Gold member if they are available. Obviously they will be more available during the hot season in PHX, but you may have some success during the busy season. I like Tapatio better for the area that it is in. Squaw Peak is more of a business area, whereas Tapatio is more in the hills. You can always drive or take the hotel shuttle over to Squaw Peak to play in the water area there. That is what we usually do. It is much busier at SP, so it is nice on the days we don't go there to swim in the less busy pools at Tapatio. SP offers Coyote Camp that your kids will love, mine did. Neither place will have the executive lounge open again until September. Then they close again in late April. At Tapatio they will give you free breakfast at the restaurant along with the access to the lounge. Nice to have the lounge access as you can walk in anytime during the day to get something to drink to take to the pool. We had a great time taking the kids to Rawhide, the 1880's Western Town, and to Out of Africa, the animal park near Fountain Hills.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 5:29 pm

We spent a week at Squaw Peak in January 2001 with our four year old son, and loved it. The Coyote Camp was fantastic, our room was large, and the restaurants were very good.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:43 pm

I've not stayed at either property, so can't comment (though I might for my CNTU needs!).

Be aware that Rawhide missed their last payroll by a few days and may be heading into bankruptcy.

The zoo here gets great reviews, though I've not done it yet. Castles & Coasters park on I-17 at MetroCenter Mall would be good for the little guys, as would Encanto Park on 15th Ave. just south of Thomas. Encanto has a nice children's amusement park that is open every weekend and some summer days. Castles & Coasters has a similar schedule, and has mini-golf, rides, etc.

For a fix on native american stuff, consider the Casa Grande ruins to the south, pueblo grande near PHX airport, and montezumas castle & well to the north.

In town, consider the Heard museum & the Science museum. If the kids like sports, look into a tour of Bank One Ballpark--home of the World Champion d-backs! finish up with lunch at Alice's Cooperstown, jointly owned by Alice Cooper & Randy Johnson. Great food, decent prices, a cross between a Hard Rock Cafe & sports bar, and--they're on the i-dine program!

Take a field trip to Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa. Gigantic ball field/theater organ with literally all the bells and whistles. Little kids eat it up.

Drop me a note if I can help more with local info.

JP
Old Sep 27, 2002, 7:56 pm

Location: Fort Worth, TX; AA EXP, Starwood Gold, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Gold
Recommendation for Scottsdale/Phoenix Hilton in Feb/March

I will be spending many weekends in Phoenix/Scottsdale (most time will be spent in Peoria actually) in February and March and am looking for a recommendation for Hilton properties to try and those to stay away from.

Thanks,
Michelle
Old Sep 28, 2002, 12:17 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
we2sparks,

I think that you have a lot of nice choices in the area! I've stayed at the Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, and visited the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort and both are very nice.

Based on my brief stays I'd recommend either one. My room at Squaw Peak was traditional SouthWestern Style and well-kept. I recall large pools and a lot of family stuff to do. Golfing on gorgeous courses, etc.

There are fantastic views of Arizona's mountains and desert everywhere. Very nice properties.
Old Sep 28, 2002, 12:36 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
We had an excellent 3-night award stay at Tapatio Cliffs. As Gold we were upgraded to a corner suite up the hill. That would be my one caveat if you go there - try to avoid a room in the main building around the large pool. It is not nearly as nice as the rooms up the hill.
Old Sep 28, 2002, 8:25 am

Squaw Peak would be much closer to Peoria than Tapatio, and is indeed a very nice property. Scottsdale is the wrong direction.

JP
Old Sep 28, 2002, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Had a good stay in the Tapatio Cliffs in August (HH Gold, slightly disapointed that my room was on the ground floor in the main building) not upgraded like many golds but there was a conference on so it may have been sold out. The standar suite was good with sliding doors between the bedroom and sitting room and quiet despite overlooking the car park and the adult pool.
I did get two bottles of water and breakfast coupons and the pool area is very good.

Also stayed at the HGI Scottsdale- Got up graded to a parlour suite which was very good and a great experience.It is walkable to the Fashion square mall and old town scottsdale.

Regards
TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 09-28-2002).]
Old Sep 28, 2002, 9:41 am

Sounds like somebody's going to Mariner's spring training! I like to stay at the ES Phoenix North, which is at the I-17 and Greenway Ave. Decent pricing, nice courtyard & pool (they recently went "cajun" in their restaurant...weird...tried the food 9/11/02, it was awful...but the traditional breakfast is good)and the rooms are nice for an ES.

There's also a Hampton Inn at 83rd & Bell, the closest Hilton property to the Peoria ballpark (83rd just south of Bell Rd. near the 101 loop/Agua Fria freeway interchange).

If you're still there 3/8 thru 3/10, we'll see you at an M's game!
Old Sep 30, 2002, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by j379pa:
Squaw Peak would be much closer to Peoria than Tapatio, and is indeed a very nice property. </font>
Actually, it is the other way around. Tapatio is closer to Peoria.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
Cheap (under $100/nt) but nice in Southern Phoenix?

We're thinking about a trip to Phoenix in March to visit with some old friends. Since we'll be spending most of our time with them the hotel needn't be anything special, but it must be clean. A nice breakfast and/or room with some real seating (i.e. a loveseat maybe?) would be pluses. How are the Hamptons in this area? Our friends live on the south side of the city, and we'd prefer to stay as close to them as we can. Any advice?
Old Jan 12, 2003, 8:24 pm

Location: Only Delta Silver I'm trying to stay at home more :) Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Considering your criteria, try the Mesa Hilton.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.