Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Thailand {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Which hotel on points for non elite?

Having moved from HH a few years back, I currently hold no status but have a number of points remaining, which I'd like to use in Bangkok.

The DT seems like a good option (especially considering C&P rates), but we are also considering the Millenium for the river location and pool. We also enjoyed the Conrad in the past, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money/points.

Which hotel would you recommend in our situation (with no status benefit to be expected)?

Thanks,
Yann
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by yann
The DT seems like a good option (especially considering C&P rates), but we are also considering the Millenium for the river location and pool. We also enjoyed the Conrad in the past, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money/points.
The various hotels' merits have been extensively discussed; here is a view from the value standpoint:
- DT: always great value on C&P
- Hilton Sukhumvit: always very good value on C&P
- Millenium Hilton: C&P rate goes up to 16k HH & THB2021++ from November to January inclusive. This hotel's cash rates during the various yearly sales (winter sale, flash sales, etc.) when combined with a multiple points promotion not infrequently end up being a better deal than C&P.
- Conrad: C&P rate goes down to 12k HH & THB1830++ in July-August, very good value. The comment for the Millenium applies here as well, especially during the flash sales when C&P is at the normal 16k rate.

The Conrad's and Sukhumvit Hilton's base rooms are substantially nicer than the DT and Millenium's. Since some people complain about the first two's lounge offerings, and the last two allow elites to have breakfast in their main restaurant, as a base member you'd actually miss less at the first two (sorry for the convoluted logic!)

Perhaps not relevant, but the DT and Millenium are active in the group market (Chinese and Koreans/Thai corporate retreats respectively), which leads me to believe those hotels are probably available for a good discount through some channels, and hence relatively speaking lesser value for your points (although elite perks considerably soften the blow especially at the Millenium).
Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:08 am

Thanks for your detailed (and very useful) answer.

We will be going in March, so C&P prices will be standard.
I will also consider the Flash sales, but our goal is to burn rather than earn.
We also don't really care about breakfast, but do about location & pool.

We're thus leaning towards the DT and/or the Millenium, but one of your points makes me wonder: how much better are standard rooms (since no upgrade is to be expected) at the Hilton vs the DT and Millenium?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
We're thus leaning towards the DT and/or the Millenium, but one of your points makes me wonder: how much better are standard rooms (since no upgrade is to be expected) at the Hilton vs the DT and Millenium?
Originally Posted by monahos
The Conrad's and Sukhumvit Hilton's base rooms are substantially nicer than the DT and Millenium's.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:51 am

Let's put it this way: I enjoy spending time in the Hilton room (which makes me think: 'where else in the world can I get such a nice room for this low price?'), whereas the DT room doesn't do anything for me ('why did I fly around the world to stay in a perfectly fine, but ultimately, enhanced Holiday Inn grade room?'). The price difference on C&P is minimal, especially on shorter stays.

The Millenium's rooms saving grace is the view, great from any room, and visible through full-width windows.

Some rooms at the DT have curiously narrow windows making them dark.

If you are just planning to use the room to sleep, there is no denying the DT is the best value.
If you have a few points to spare, and enjoy a posher room, the Hilton is worth it.
If you prefer the riverside atmosphere, the Millenium does have a relaxing holiday vibe which is enjoyable after a long European winter.

Why not divide your stay between some of these properties, time allowing?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:07 pm

Thanks a lot for your help !

The room descriptions on the HH websilte aren't that clear.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
yann, the standard rooms at the Millennium are small by Hilton standards.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I just finished a points stay at the DoubleTree, choosing it based on the great points value. I don't regret the decision. I found the room to be just fine and modern, although I agree about the quirky, and not as private as I would like, bathroom.

Breakfast was fantastic with great selection. It is a very long spread and takes a lot of walking to get to everything, make sure you take a good look around to catch everything!

Location is just fine with a short walk to the BTS, but the sidewalks are pretty treacherous so watch your feet!

The best part were the concierges! They were such a big help in giving us a lot of great tips. We took him up on the recommendation for a car and driver for Pattaya for 4000 baht. We had a long and wonderful day, highly recommend! We also got great tips on using the river ferry system to get to the tourist spots. It seemed counter intuitive when looking at the map but to take the BTS to the waterfront and pay just 15 baht for the orange flagged (local) ferry was a great idea and never would have figured it out on our own.

There is also a great spa nearby if you want to avoid the suspicious massage parlors around. It is Su Esthetic and you can read more about it on TripAdvisor. We had a couples massage/facial there and it was great, but the masseuses' english is not so great and aren't able to adjust on demand so well.

It is a good idea to walk out the back past the Hilton to make it an easier walk to the BTS. The bridge between the Emporium and BTS was closed when we were there but I can see it being convenient when it is reopened... soon if not already. (See Hilton Sukhumvit thread for more details).

Happy hour drinks were nice and we were even able to get them to let us take them up to our room.

Although we didn't try the Hilton, it certainly seemed more upscale looking from the outside looking in so I can understand the points upgrade but I don't think it is really necessary if you want to save your points.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 1:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

Newer posts for this ARCHIVE THREAD can be found in the

OPEN THREAD for DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Thailand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.