FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   [ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Thailand {THA} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1884519-archive-2014-discussion-hilton-honors-hotels-thailand-tha.html)

Sweet Willie Apr 1, 2001 2:50 pm

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Thailand {THA}

Anyone stay at either the Bangkok Hilton or Hua Hin Hilton. I can't believe the Hua Hin (a beachfront hotel) is only opportunity level property!!!!

Safari Apr 1, 2001 3:18 pm

I have been to both when I was working there from 95-00. What do you want to know about them. The Hua Hin was just taken over by Hilton, used to be Melia. We were not too crazy about Hua Hin, there are much nicer beaches. Downtown Hilton has beautiful Gardens but no view of city of Bangkok. Great food and soso location.

Paul3456 Apr 1, 2001 3:34 pm

I have stayed at the Bangkok Hilton twice, both times on Going Global 100K awards.

The hotel is very nice. It is only five floors, and the 5th floor is the executive level with a lounge. If you are Gold VIP or above you should get upgraded, even on an award stay. It also has a very nice large swimming pool.

I agree with Safari that it's location isn't the greatest, but it isn't awful either. You will have to take a taxi anywhere you go, but that isn't a big deal as they will flag a metered taxi off of Wireless Road for you. You usually have to wait only a couple of minutes.

Overall, it is a good place to stay if you are using HHonors points for a free stay. If you are paying, I think that the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvitt or JW Marriott would be bettter choices because they have better locations.

[This message has been edited by Paul3456 (edited 04-01-2001).]

estnet Apr 1, 2001 3:38 pm

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/001449.html

I loved the Hua Hin - feel free to email me any specific questions. It is a great bargin on award!

Sweet Willie Apr 1, 2001 7:40 pm

Thanks Estnet, that HAS to be the most complete report of a hotel...EVER! I will
take you up on your email offer for further
advice. Thanks again. FT rules!

Paul3456, The hilton Bangkok seems like quite a few other hiltons, not the best local, but it is a hilton and it is a free stay.

Safari, I am aware that there may be better beaches, but at 25,000 points for a three night stay at Hua Hin, the beaches you talk about should be the best in the world. Comments on why you were not impressed would be appreciated.

Safari Apr 2, 2001 2:38 pm

For free stays both the Hiltons would be great. The best part will be you are in wonderful Thailand. We were so sad to leave working there that we bought a roundtrip ticket so we would know we were going back soon. Also United tickets bought there are easy to upgrade.
Hua Hin has polluted beaches but the little town is fun to stroll though the shops. The Sofitil Hotel a short walk from the Hilton is a MUST. Beautiful grounds, spa, and the most fantastic topiarys. walk under the huge elephant for good luck. The old lobby of the hotel ws used in the filming of THe Killing Fields, movie. Chek out the newest wing and pool area. We spent many lovely hours by that pool on weekends away form Bangkok. Have dinner on one of the buffetts nights in the gardens. You will not be very hungry most of the day after the huge,delicious buffett brekfasts at the HILTON. ENJOY. I wish I was going back this spring but we must go sail our boat in the Caribbean.

Andrew Yiu Apr 2, 2001 10:14 pm

So what is the best way to get to the hotel if I am arriving on the UA flight that arrives in BKK around 12am?

Chiangi Apr 3, 2001 10:32 am

UA's BKK flight is now in the summer schedule mode, I think. It arrives just past 9 p.m. (around 11 p.m. in winter). Taking a taxi would be easiest. Just from outside the airport. You can take an airport bus but you need to get off somewhere in downtown and should get a taxi from there. You can walk up to the Hilton from Sukhumvit by taking an A3 (I think) airport bus and getting off at the cross with Wireless Road but that is a bit long way to walk.

stephlac Apr 3, 2001 11:10 am

Empress,
You should definitely take a taxi from the airport. It is very easy. The taxis are generally very clean and comfortable and safe.

Just make sure you get in a metered taxi and that the driver uses the meter. If I remember right there is a taxi desk in the arrivals area. The employees speak perfect English and will make sure your taxi driver knows where you want to go.

It shouldn't cost more than $15-20 to your hotel.

Paul3456 Apr 3, 2001 7:52 pm

A meter taxi from the airport to the Hilton will cost about 150 baht on the meter plus a 50 baht airport surcharge plus 80 baht for the tolls. Total about 280 baht, or $6.40.

Chiangi Apr 5, 2001 3:42 am

[

[This message has been edited by Chiangi (edited 04-05-2001).]

tvl4free Jun 4, 2001 8:27 am

DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in Thailand {THA}

I have noticed this property showing up repeatedly in Travelocity for around a year now with rates of around $90 per nite.

However, when I call Hilton/Hampton for information about it, they say the property is non-existant in their computers. CS for Hilton has NO CLUE.

I've been thinking that perhaps it's a new property - or one that going to open at some
point in the future, anyway.

Any ideas or clues, guys and gals?

(BTW why someone would want to stay THERE when so many other great properties exist in BKK, is a another issue, OK?).

As always, thanks!

LarryU Jun 4, 2001 9:06 am

As BKK is a frequent mileage run target and destination city for many FTers, I am sure others can provide you with more detail, but I don't think the Hampton Inn in Bangkok has anything to do with the US-based chain, i.e. the fact that it shares the same name is coincidental.

As to why you would want to stay there, I cannot say. If you don't mind a few extra baht by BKK standards ; my predilection is towards the Peninsula.

jobro912 Jun 4, 2001 9:07 am

Here is a link to the Hampton Inn Bangkok...Being one who lives in Thailand, it may be that this is a Hampton Inn by name, but not a Hampton Inn...
http://www.asiadiscovery.com/hotels/bangkok/Hampton.htm

I found this via a web search. Several sites with info on this hotel...Good Luck....John

tvl4free Jun 4, 2001 9:44 am

This property shows up on Travelocity WITH the typical HAMPTON logo. So I'm kind of thinking that it's not a knock-off, or that Travelocity thought it WAS the real thing and so placed the logo there, based strickly on the name. Anyway, the address shown is:

HX BANGKOK THAILAND
29 117 SUKHUMVIT SOI 3
10110 Bangkok Thailand TH

Do to the logo issue, and do to the fact that it shows availablity in Travelocity and other booking engines, but none that I've found actually let me book it, this property remains a mystery.

Any more clues anyone?

The above link doesn't work for me.

And BTW jobro912, welcome to the boards. I see that you're from CNX. From time to time, you might be able to be of a great deal of help to other FTers who may participate in the 'Baht Run' and/or need info regarding CNX.

Again, welcome! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by tvl4free (edited 06-04-2001).]