Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
how did you get the offer? E-mail or web?
Email.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Email.
thanks. no offers on my end when i called. only option to PC with no bonus. so i guess its targeted like most things.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I just took an ascend upgrade on my no-fee card. The 75k bonus points on $2k spend, gold status, and 10 priority pass free entries are just too damn good to pass up for the $95 AF. I am going to lose diamond at the end of this year, and frankly the marginal value of diamond over gold is nowhere near worth the spend on rooms versus $95 for guaranteed gold.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Have done the 15k (Amex Hilton Ascend) spend on 3 cards and received the code a few days later for the first two (third just completed). Used to book 2 weekend nights at the Conrad Maldives (~1300 per night cash cost currently). I would say that was definitely worth it.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
In addition, you will be eligible to receive a one-time carryover of your Citi Weekend Night Reward benefit if you spend $10,000 within your current anniversary year. This is inclusive of purchases on your Citi Card from the start of your anniversary year with Citi through January 29, 2018 and purchases on your American Express Card from January 30, 2018 through the end of your current anniversary year. Your current anniversary year will end in the month you pay your first annual fee to American Express.
Has anyone confirmed this? Specifically, had some spending before the conversion, then finished the remaining of the $10k after the conversion?

Also, what happens if I meet the spend, but cancel the card before I receive the Weekend Night Reward?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:01 am

I'm hoping Lauren or someone else can clarify:

I applied for the AMEX Surpass (still within my first year) with the promotion that I would get a free night at card anniversary (and paying the fee). In fact, this was the promotion link used.

Now that the Surpass has been converted into the Ascend card, I wanted to confirm that I am still going to be receiving the one free anniversary night at first account anniversary (with annual fee paid).

Edit: The Surpass free night was not triggered by a minimum spend amount, but just paying the first anniversary annual fee.

Sorry if this was covered elsewhere and I missed it!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:39 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by rebelx
I'm hoping Lauren or someone else can clarify:

I applied for the AMEX Surpass (still within my first year) with the promotion that I would get a free night at card anniversary (and paying the fee). In fact, this was the promotion link used.

Now that the Surpass has been converted into the Ascend card, I wanted to confirm that I am still going to be receiving the one free anniversary night at first account anniversary (with annual fee paid).

Edit: The Surpass free night was not triggered by a minimum spend amount, but just paying the first anniversary annual fee.

Sorry if this was covered elsewhere and I missed it!
Yes, I got mine on 4/9 and I know another poster in another thread got his as well. Interestingly, I have not seen the annual fee post to my account yet.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
Yes, I got mine on 4/9 and I know another poster in another thread got his as well. Interestingly, I have not seen the annual fee post to my account yet.
Wonderful! How close to the annual fee date was 4/9 for you?

I did a dumb dumb, and did not reserve Waldorf Chicago when I originally got my two certs last year. Instead, I had thought that I needed all three certs in order to book my weekend stay, but apparently, they can use two, and "hold" the last day for the cert to arrive.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA

I did a dumb dumb, and did not reserve Waldorf Chicago when I originally got my two certs last year. Instead, I had thought that I needed all three certs in order to book my weekend stay, but apparently, they can use two, and "hold" the last day for the cert to arrive.
5 days...anniversary was 4/4 and free night notification showed up on 4/9. I had already booked a 3 night stay in Dubrovnik with points so I called and they basically just refunded one nights worth of points but I still show three nights on the res.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84
5 days...anniversary was 4/4 and free night notification showed up on 4/9. I had already booked a 3 night stay in Dubrovnik with points so I called and they basically just refunded one nights worth of points but I still show three nights on the res.
Looks like it was pretty close. Mine is next month, so hopefully it shows up soon!

Bit disappointed I was "stuck" with the Conrad, but I hear it's still very nice!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:11 pm

Just out of curiosity, how do you do a "hold"?

I too booked the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for a 2 night weekend (I only had One Certificate and over 95K points), so I used the certificate and the points to book both nights (in my case). When I received the second Certificate a few weeks later, I tried to "swap out" the points with the secondCertificate.

They said because my type of standard room was unavailable, they could only give me 2 nights at the "other type" of standard room. In other words, they did not allow me to "swap out" the points with the certificate, but instead would have Canceled my original reservation and Rebooked a new reservation based on current availability. Thus, I kept my original reservation.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Any Reason to Keep 6 Amex Hilton Cards?

I haven't been able to find an answer to this question, so I'm hoping the experts here will help me out! I had 5 no-fee Citi Hilton cards that were converted to the Amex HIlton card in the (perhaps misguided) hope that they might each be eligible for an upgrade offer to Ascend. I had already had both the no-fee Amex Hilton and the Surpass (which I had downgraded and upgraded 3 times in the past 3 years). Last month I accepted an Amex offer to upgrade my original Amex Hilton card again (the offer was not available on the other cards). Has anyone had an upgrade offer yet on the converted Citi Hilton cards? Any idea if it might be possible to get/accept an offer on multiple cards? Although I've had most of the Amex credit cards, if there is no benefit to holding multiple Hilton cards, I want to cancel most of them so I can take advantage of future Amex credit card offers (I currently have 7 Amex credit cards, despite the 4-5 card limit). Thoughts on benefits of keeping vs. cancelling?

Last edited by fivegirls; Apr 17, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:19 pm

I just cancelled my first of 6 Hilton cards today. It was an Ascend with the annual fee due. I too was hoping that I would see some upgrade offers but have seen none, so will be trimming my cards going forward in order to eventually be able to get new credit cards from AMEX (with today's cancellation, I am down to 7). One possibility I am thinking for a reason why no upgrade offers is because we are way over the maximum number of cards allowed but maybe nobody is getting any offers.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Downgraded my Ascend account to the no AF card, after hitting bonus min spend on replacement Biz card. Less than 4 weeks later, the no AF account has an Ascend upgrade offer (75k point for 3k spend in 90 days), as well as an upgrade offer to Aspire - but no bonus points for min spend. I have no need for the Aspire card benefits until October, holding out for some type of targeted offer.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by dude6431
Just out of curiosity, how do you do a "hold"?

I too booked the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for a 2 night weekend (I only had One Certificate and over 95K points), so I used the certificate and the points to book both nights (in my case). When I received the second Certificate a few weeks later, I tried to "swap out" the points with the secondCertificate.

They said because my type of standard room was unavailable, they could only give me 2 nights at the "other type" of standard room. In other words, they did not allow me to "swap out" the points with the certificate, but instead would have Canceled my original reservation and Rebooked a new reservation based on current availability. Thus, I kept my original reservation.
When I called in, I provided my certificate numbers to the representative. I also told him that I was waiting on my third certificate, but I did not have it yet. So what he did was book me a 3 night stay, using 2 of the certificates, and placing an authorization charge on one of my cards for the third night. He said when I get the third night certificate, to call back, and they'll switch the payment from the card to the certificate.

The reason that I had to do it this way was to make sure that the standard award room remained available (i.e. "on hold" for me) until I get the certificate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.