Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Are Hampton Inns the Hidden Gems of Hilton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Hampton Inns the Hidden Gems of Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by furballs
The only serious issue I have with Hamptons is the pillows. Every one I've been in -and that's a lot - have had crap pillows.
I've got a little bit of neck stiffness and find that pretty much all hotel pillows are awful. And have deep gratitude for whoever it was on FT that turned me on to Therm-a-rest memory foam travel pillows because they have so very much improved the quality of my hotel sleep.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I've got a little bit of neck stiffness and find that pretty much all hotel pillows are awful. And have deep gratitude for whoever it was on FT that turned me on to Therm-a-rest memory foam travel pillows because they have so very much improved the quality of my hotel sleep.
Back in 2007 I met US singer Neil Diamond, he told me that he has lived in hotels pretty much all his life and has yet to find a comfy hotel pillow!.....I concluded from this that they don't actually exist.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
The only serious issue I have with Hamptons is the pillows. Every one I've been in -and that's a lot - have had crap pillows.

Not every Hilton, DT or HGI has great pillows, but at least some,maybe most,are decent. Not Hamptons. Darling Wife and are are travelling by car next week and will be doing it BYOP style, since Hamptons are on the agenda.
This I agree with 100% and that's one of the main reasons I don't stay at HI. The pillows are just horrible. Worldwide.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I thought it was the Hampton duvets that people hate so much?
Sisosig likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:12 am

Not every Hilton, DT or HGI has great pillows, but at least some,maybe most,are decent. Not Hamptons. Darling Wife and are are travelling by car next week and will be doing it BYOP style, since Hamptons are on the agenda.
MY lady does the same, always travels with her pillow .
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:14 am

Pillows

I'd have to agree re the pillows, it's probably one of the only things I dislike about Hamptons. It's like sleeping on a giant ball of cotton wool.

Doubletree ones are also pretty soft I think.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by chrism20
I'd have to agree re the pillows, it's probably one of the only things I dislike about Hamptons. It's like sleeping on a giant ball of cotton wool.

Doubletree ones are also pretty soft I think.
That's my issue too, never firm enough at any hotel regardless of brand....I've contemplated taking my home one many times on road trips but takes up to much room in suitcase.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I thought it was the Hampton duvets that people hate so much?
I would agree there. Probably the only negative I can think of at both of the recent HI starts I've had. The pillows on the other hand were very comfortable, and not overwhelmingly hard like at other chains.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I agree about the pillows and sadly I have seen those pillows pop up at some HGIs (like the Richmond Airport HGI) which is unfortunate. On the other hand, the traditional Hilton Touch of Down pillow made by Pacific Coast Pillows I like so much I actually bought a few online from the manufacturer.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Most of my stays used to be at Hampton. I could many times find rooms under $99 that were pretty well kept, with free breakfast. I grew tired of their reward program though.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:33 am

First time in ~10yrs staying at Hampton

I used to stay almost exclusively at Hampton before abruptly swearing off the brand ~10yrs.
Been avoiding Hampton, HGI, Homewood, etc.
Since then, I have done a few HGI stays, but I hadn't done Hampton or Homewood ever since.
However, I just had to stay at a Hampton cuz I had to stay in a town where the only choices were motels.
Pre-stay anticipation was worse than before dentist visit (maybe an exaggeration).

Turns out I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of things:
1. Bed linen sucked just as I'd remembered from 10yrs ago, but bath towels were much better quality than before.
2. Toiletries (shampoo, soap) now same as HGI (Neutrogena). Prior Hampton shampoo was garbage.
3. Room felt cleaner and better kept than many Doubletrees.
4. Upon check-in, I was handed welcome snacks including a few bars of espresso chocolate bars that had Hilton Honors label and actually tasted like expensive chocolates. I'd never seen these 'Hilton Honors' chocolates before. I inspected the wrapper and it said Astor chocolate, which is the same brand that makes the chocolate you get at WA's turndown service. Only difference is Hampton gave me 3x large bars, whereas WA just gave me 2x small bite-size ones.
5. Breakfast featured different kinds of Chobani greek yogurt, as well as homemade smoothies.

This is very different than the Hamptons I remember from circa 2010.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
"Hidden Gem?" Hampton Inns are neither hidden nor (necessarily) gems. I've stayed at plenty, and they're generally OK, sometimes very good, usually decent value for the price, but generally no better than most Holiday Inn Express or comparable brands. Mediocre breakfast, at least in the U.S. The OP called it a "free" breakfast. Nope, it's included with the rate, for all guests. If it were truly free, then the whole world could walk in off the street and partake for no charge. (And rewards stays aren't "free," either. You had to do something to earn the points to redeem for those "free" stays.)
ulxima and Sisosig like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:27 am

For some unknown reason Hamptons are usually where I get my best sleep. Because of this my Hilton brand ranking in order is generally: Conrad, Hilton. Hampton, HGI for top tier ... and then far below: Doubletree, Embassy suites, Homewood, and of course the Curio Maldives dump. This just my experience and travel pattern.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
stayed at the Edinburgh, Scotland HI last may for 5 nights. I would definitely call it a hidden gem. on a bus route but walkable into town. hotel prices are high in that city, so the 5 nights for price of 4 points was a no brainer for me.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Could it be that the Hampton Inns outside the U.S. are generally better? The only non-U.S. one that I can remember staying at was in Krakow, Poland several years ago. It was nicer, décor-wise and breakfast-wise, than the U.S. Hamptons I've stayed at.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.