Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Are Hampton Inns the Hidden Gems of Hilton

Old Aug 14, 17, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), Hilton Diamond

I stay with Hilton around 3-4 times a year, usually at full service properties, but my last 2 stays were both at Hampton Inns as I was in the middle of nowhere. Call me impressed. They blew away every other full service Hilton I've stayed at. They were modern, creatively designed in pleasing tones, had great room features like USB outlets near the beds, had big rooms, and of course free breakfast. The rooms especially seemed so much better than the usual 4* Hiltons I'm in. It felt like such a great value that I'll now be looking to stay at Hamptons specifically over the usual Hilton/DoubleTree/Embassy Suites. Just me 2 cents.
Old Aug 14, 17, 2:24 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
The new ones often are that good, but then the rates reflect that, at least in locations where there is a choice with a full service property.

There are Hamptons that, while they tend to be good for what they are, can be old with indifferent staff and decrepit furnishings.

I've only ever invoked the satisfaction guarantee once, and that was at a Hampton when I was given a room with someone already sleeping in it, in a full hotel, and was greeted with complete indifference by the desk clerk.

My next trip to the US is 7 nights in two Hamptons though.
Old Aug 14, 17, 3:01 am

I've only stayed in the ones in the northern half of the UK which are all fairly new which may affect my thoughts on them but on the whole I quite like them.

The thing imo that makes Hampton & HGI seem better is that they are consistent.
Old Aug 14, 17, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Hampton is my go-to for Hilton hotels for all the reasons you describe.

Also, as someone who eats breakfast but doesn't eat much (and is vegetarian) the Hampton free breakfast is equivalent to what a paid Hilton breakfast would be for me.
Old Aug 14, 17, 6:58 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold, SPG
I get tired of the breakfast here. I usually like to have a full cook-to-order breakfast in the morning in a sedate atmosphere when traveling. I hate fighting with the waffle machine and don't get me started with the paper or plastic plates.
Old Aug 14, 17, 9:14 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Spire, Hilton *G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek View Post
I get tired of the breakfast here. I usually like to have a full cook-to-order breakfast in the morning in a sedate atmosphere when traveling. I hate fighting with the waffle machine and don't get me started with the paper or plastic plates.
The environment is usually sedate in UK Hamptons. They have ceramic plates and metal cutlery. I have never seen anybody else use the waffle machine besides myself.

As remarked upon earlier, sometimes the Hampton is more expensive than the Hilton at the same location. This includes some Hiltons which aren't bad like Glasgow and Gatwick (albeit some people don't want to walk an extra 5 mins)

I've only had one odd experience in a UK hampton which was when a group of chavs decided that they would also eat the breakfast food for lunch and dinner, including on the day of checkout when they were not actually in the hotel any more.
Old Aug 14, 17, 9:24 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
When a Hampton Inn is the sole HH property in an area or town, I've seen that they tend to be very proud of their status and provide service and quality that are superior. This gets to your point regarding HI's you stayed at were in the middle of nowhere.

From my point of view, if they were purpose built as a HI, then they'll usually be fairly good. If you can find out when they were built and/or refurbished, you'll get those USB power port features, modern decor, etc. If you end up at one that was a conversion and not maintained, oboy.

David
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 17, 9:36 am

I love the look of new Hamptons but the awful breakfast scrum makes me actively avoid them in favor of HGI or a new Doubletree and a nice fresh cooked breakfast.
Old Aug 14, 17, 10:11 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
I do think that once you go below the luxury or semi-luxury level, property age can often be a stronger indicator of quality than property brand. And since the limited service hotels are typically 1990s or newer compared to a full service built in the 1960s or 1970s, the Hampton or the Holiday Inn Express or Hyatt Place often wins out over the full service option.
arcticflier likes this.
Old Aug 14, 17, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Newer Hamptons definitely could be better than older Hiltons and Doubletrees, but it's far from a guarantee.
Old Aug 14, 17, 11:36 am

everything is relative - imho this only highlights how dumpy many domestic hiltons and doubletrees are...

modern hampton is not really any better than modern hix for example
Old Aug 14, 17, 11:45 am

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I've had mostly good experiences with Hampton Inns.

I spent 11/15 months in one for a long term project so got to know that one pretty well. It was the best hotel in town (which is a sad statement) but it was perfectly serviceable. Nice staff, nice rooms, they let us bring in food and alcohol to watch major events (sporting, political - this was around 2012 election, etc) and they let us leave bags with full size toiletries and whatever else we wanted on the weekend.

That being said I was thrilled when my next couple projects were in big cities that had full service Westin and/or W Hotels (SPG was our preferred)
Old Aug 14, 17, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Hilton UK and Hilton North America seem to be different experiences, no?
holmedown likes this.
Old Aug 14, 17, 1:43 pm

They're franchised, so it is a function of the operator. I've almost always had better-than-average stays at HIs, and have had some fantastic experiences at mom-and-pop locations in the middle of nowhere where the operators are clearly going above and beyond.
Old Aug 14, 17, 1:49 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
You really start appreciating Hamptons when you have a long term stay in a remote area that doesn't have a Hampton. Then next lower tier can be rough for a long stay.

Hamptons have really enforced their standards with their franchises. It shows.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: