Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree Diamond breakfast: buffet, OR a Diet Coke plus ONE item from the buffet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree Diamond breakfast: buffet, OR a Diet Coke plus ONE item from the buffet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

If we had a "Least Substantive Thing to Whinge About" thread here, I'd post this there. But I do feel the need to post this somewhere, given what a totally asinine policy this is.

Yesterday morning, I go to breakfast at the Doubletree Beaverton (OR). There, Diamonds get a card at checkin that they show at breakfast for their complimentary buffet. As I was seated, I asked for a Diet Coke, which the waiter brought without hassle. As is customary at any Hilton buffet I've ever been to, "buffet" includes basic soft drinks, standard coffee, standard juices, tea, and water. I've never, anywhere, been given hassle for asking for any one of those. Lattes, booze, energy drinks, unusual juices besides what they have in carafes: different story. Anyway, yesterday was fine.

Today: same deal, except when I ask for a Diet Coke I'm told that I can have one, but then I only get "one breakfast item" from the buffet. Or, he says I can walk out to the front desk, get one from the cooler there, bill it to my room, and come back for my full buffet.

I calmly explained that I didn't think that was right - and in fact, the day prior I was served without hassle. He argued that "the other guy was wrong" and eventually, snottily, brought me an unopened can of warm Diet Coke. I left it on the table and checked out of the hotel.

At Hampton, Homewood, etc. - the cooler by the front desk is normal. I grab a coke there, bill it to my room, and go eat. But I haven't seen this at a full-service brand, and I felt it was a poor experience overall.

Were my expectations too high? Is this a new normal for Doubletree? Should I begin thinking of Doubletree the way I do Hampton or Homewood, as opposed to Hilton?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:07 am

I wonder if its due to them not having a fountain sodas. Soda cans (inventoried items) vs fountain drink free for all.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have to say that I have never heard of a soft drink being included in breakfast along with coffee or juice. Agreed that it is considered an "inventory" item most likely, with no way for the breakfast staff to over-ride (comp) that. I'd be more inclined to mention it to the front desk afterwards to see if they would be open to removing the charge from the bill. "You can have that and 'one breakfast item' from the buffet" was, indeed, an odd policy. I recall that the Doubletree at Lloyd Center Portland used to be cold items only, with juice itself an a la carte extra without the upcharge/co-pay (coffee, IIRC, was included).
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:14 pm

Off-topic-ish, but this is one reason why I love Embassy Suites. Go for a long run or do a hard workout in the morning, then immediately hit the Diet Coke fountain in the atrium.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I have to say that I have never heard of a soft drink being included in breakfast along with coffee or juice.
I don't think I've ever been charged for a soda, coffee, juice, or tea at a full-service hotel breakfast buffet.

Agreed that it is considered an "inventory" item most likely, with no way for the breakfast staff to over-ride (comp) that. I'd be more inclined to mention it to the front desk afterwards to see if they would be open to removing the charge from the bill. "You can have that and 'one breakfast item' from the buffet" was, indeed, an odd policy. I recall that the Doubletree at Lloyd Center Portland used to be cold items only, with juice itself an a la carte extra without the upcharge/co-pay (coffee, IIRC, was included).
The whole thing was weird. The waiter at first wouldn't serve it at all: he said if I wanted a coke, I'd have to deal with the front desk. As he said it, he was standing at a full bar where I'm sure they have soft drinks behind the counter. Or on one of those universal fountain-things that bars have. (At night, they serve mixed drinks.)

Then he brought the warm can with no ice (and no ice on the buffet), served with a side of snark half-aimed at me and half-aimed at the other waiter.

I didn't drink the warm can and it didn't show up on my bill.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Off-topic-ish, but this is one reason why I love Embassy Suites. Go for a long run or do a hard workout in the morning, then immediately hit the Diet Coke fountain in the atrium.
Indeed, there's an ES down the road from this Doubletree that I'll stay at next time. I've never been a big fan of DT in general...I guess this is one more reason to pick ES, pick mainline Hilton, or do something else entirely.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I try not to down my first diet coke until 9am. Don't want to fee like a cokeaholic
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
I try not to down my first diet coke until 9am. Don't want to fee like a cokeaholic
Well, it is 5 o'clock somewhere, you know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.