Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Check in agent lies about upgrade availability - what do you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check in agent lies about upgrade availability - what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
I find these upgrade complaints mainly come from lower-end Diamonds...those that barely make Diamond, but because they are Diamond, they feel they are way above everyone else.

If a hotel is expecting numerous Diamonds in one night, most of whom have stayed at the hotel numerous times during the past month, not to mention all over the world over the past year, and you're the Diamond that became Diamond because of a status match and you barely stay at a Hilton hotel, guess who they're going to give the upgrades to?

I would've asked the clerk to go directly to that back room, pull out that person again, and have him/her say her exactly quote again, this time with that person right there.

You have way too much time on your hands. The GM has way more important matters than your room assignment. No doubt you are probably one of those people they have notes on in your file as a problem customer.

Yes, the GM of course has more important things to do, that is the idea. Very simple, if it is not important to you, don't complain should you feel you were not treated properly on these status upgrades and benefits.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
You were on a roll there. You should have kept going.

'Upgrades for Diamond Hilton Honors Members may include upgrades up to “junior”, “standard” or “one-bedroom” suites. '

So if they have such suite availability, you are entitled to at least make them justify why such upgrades are not extended when available.

The operative word in the text you quote is 'may'. It is not 'will' or 'must'. It is 'may', which implies 'may or may not'.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
The operative word in the text you quote is 'may'. It is not 'will' or 'must'. It is 'may', which implies 'may or may not'.
The word 'may' grants us rights as well, specifically the right to have a conversation along the lines of "Your website shows availability for these rooms. Honors Diamond policy says that you can upgrade me to these rooms. So, why won't you?" Then the property can choose to either give us a reason, or take the simpler route and acquiesce to our request.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Then the property can choose to either give us a reason, or take the simpler route and acquiesce to our request.
Or more likely, just say, "I'm sorry sir, the upgrade is not available." Which is precisely the standard trained response which led to this thread

That said, I don't really have an issue with how Hilton (and Marriott) handle suite upgrades.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Or more likely, just say, "I'm sorry sir, the upgrade is not available." Which is precisely the standard trained response which led to this thread
But that doesn't end the conversation either. Indeed, the OP started the to ask if they were justified in pursuing the matter further. Which, the Honors T&C clearly states, they are.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But that doesn't end the conversation either.
Sure it does. Unless you enjoy arguing with the wall (which I suspect may be a possibility here ).

There is no "entitlement" to an upgrade and no recourse if the check-in agent gives the standard trained response (even if it's a lie).
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sure it does.
No, it doesn't.

There is an entitlement to a proper explanation.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
It is pretty obvious that the original poster just want someone to validate his idea that he should take the the argument of lack of upgrades to someone higher up the chain.

If OP had no issue about being told no upgrades available, there wouldn't be this post in the first place.

That being said, there are always 2 camps to this issue. People who think that they are being lied to and people who believe in live and let live.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RCTP
It is pretty obvious that the original poster just want someone to validate his idea that he should take the the argument of lack of upgrades to someone higher up the chain.

If OP had no issue about being told no upgrades available, there wouldn't be this post in the first place.

That being said, there are always 2 camps to this issue. People who think that they are being lied to and people who believe in live and let live.
Wrong.

I never confront or take higher up. I just see it as they don't want to upgrade and that's that.

Sometimes it's just interesting/nice to talk. I was only correcting the people who said they were not an entitlement.

I both believe and know the front desk is lying and also live and let live. So your analysis is incorrect.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

S
Originally Posted by mingzie
Wrong.

I never confront or take higher up. I just see it as they don't want to upgrade and that's that.

Sometimes it's just interesting/nice to talk. I was only correcting the people who said they were not an entitlement.

I both believe and know the front desk is lying and also live and let live. So your analysis is incorrect.
In America, if you're arrested for a crime, you have the right to remain silent. But you can waive that right and tell the police whatever they want to know.

In the same vein, you can choose to accept whatever room the hotel assigns you. But you very definitely have the right to hold them accountable for not following the guidelines of the loyalty program.

Last edited by hailstorm; Mar 26, 2017 at 3:47 am
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Check in late for a single night

I find I am most likely to get upgraded when I check in late for a single night stay - when they have minimal chance of reselling the room. They are in the business of maximizing revenue ... I think giving diamonds one or two guaranteed upgrades a year (1 for every 10 stays?) Would allow us to confirm upgrades when it's important to us, and play the lottery the rest of the time. Similar to way the the airlines give top their elites a few confirmed upgrades, and allocate any unsold 1st class seats on the basis of status and fare paid near departure.

Last edited by mazzer; Mar 26, 2017 at 12:50 pm Reason: Grammer check
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:14 am

There is an entitlement to a proper explanation.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
Holy cow.
Is a suite or other upgraded room that important to you.

Don't begrudge those who do just seems like a lot of work and a pain.

I rarely ever make a fuss. Usually there a night or two anyway and the room I booked is usually more than sufficient.
Is a suite or other upgraded room that important to you.
Yes it is

Don't begrudge those who do just seems like a lot of work and a pain.
I don't begrudge anyone. On one hand I think its great that others do not push the issue ( more upgrades for me), on the other hand if everyone pushed them to adhere to the spirit of the program, they would absolutely do so. IMO, the hotel only pushes people around because it works.

I rarely ever make a fuss. Usually there a night or two anyway and the room I booked is usually more than sufficient.
Fine, to each his own
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by elusive1
On one hand I think its great that others do not push the issue ( more upgrades for me), on the other hand if everyone pushed them to adhere to the spirit of the program, they would absolutely do so. IMO, the hotel only pushes people around because it works.
Actually, if everyone starts demanding a perk that was never meant to be guaranteed but ends up with various properties having to deal with DYKWIAs at check-in, instead of "adhering" to the "spirit" of the program, what will likely happen instead is that the program will soon state suites are excluded and leave it to properties' discretion to upgrade only their frequent guests. There are only so many suites and the number of elite members are ballooning. The supply cannot meet the demand.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by PayItForward
Actually, if everyone starts demanding a perk that was never meant to be guaranteed but ends up with various properties having to deal with DYKWIAs at check-in, instead of "adhering" to the "spirit" of the program, what will likely happen instead is that the program will soon state suites are excluded and leave it to properties' discretion to upgrade only their frequent guests. There are only so many suites and the number of elite members are ballooning. The supply cannot meet the demand.
So the alternative is that we should become conditioned to not expect, nor ask for, any upgrades, leaving plenty of leftover suite space for the hotels to monetize to the lowest bidder, status or not, via NOR1 and other avenues? That we should just stay silent as the benefits that we thought were part of the equation of loyalty are eroded, as if we're not paying for them?

Hotels set the bar. Loyal guests strive to clear the bar. If the hotel finds its current program conditions untenable, well, that's that, and they have the authority to change them (and incur the resulting business effects such as loss of loyal customers). But no one - posters on this board, hotels, or anyone - should be looking down on customers for expecting what they thought that they were buying into, and which past data supported as being a real, expected benefit. Choosing loyalty to a program is a business decision, and those of us who make that decision do so upon a consideration of the facts, including past experience. It's not like we're just making this up - it was part of the calculus from day one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.