FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Check in agent lies about upgrade availability - what do you do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1830775-check-agent-lies-about-upgrade-availability-what-do-you-do.html)

mingzie Mar 20, 17 7:34 pm

Check in agent lies about upgrade availability - what do you do?
 
When the agent explains you are not getting an upgrade because 'we are fully sold out' or 'we are sold out of that room type' when you know for a fact there are multiple rooms available to book online - what do you do?

I know this seems to come up quite a lot as the default excuse of not upgrading a member.

Is it bad etiquette to push the issue and tell them they are indeed available? Should we as guests just let it go and chalk it up as that they just don't want to upgrade us?

What's the best thing to do in this situation? Any insights, opinions or experiences would be highly appreciated.

arlflyer Mar 20, 17 7:41 pm

Up to you. Calling them out on it usually results in some hilarious conversations, like them explaining how those online listings are intended to generate an oversell, or the website isn't showing the "real" inventory, or they're actually holding back a suite or two that's for sale but "not available for upgrades" or other ridiculous stories. If you feel like standing your ground at that point, just call for a manager and give it a go from there. Like anything Hilton, it's luck of the draw.

Just my two cents. I'm sure the thread will digress into some accusations of "over-entitled elites" or such.

carpediem22 Mar 20, 17 7:47 pm

Nothing wrong, IMO, in letting the agent (and his/her manager) know that you know they are lying - by showing them proof.

storewanderer Mar 20, 17 11:15 pm

Perhaps it matters how far you want to push the envelope...

Or you could just hit them after if they e-mail you a survey.

pauleeepaul Mar 20, 17 11:26 pm

If you casually want an upgrade- I would ask once and if denied let it go. Upgrades are not guaranteed and you are not going to win the argument about room inventory availability.

If you really want an upgrade- offer to pay a modest supplement if necessary. You can always say no if the offer is too high.

lyndonmaxewell Mar 21, 17 12:50 am

Upgrades are a privilege, not an entitlement

RCTP Mar 21, 17 2:06 am

Most of the time I will just it go. I know the FD staff might be lying, but at the same time I can't confirm if what I see online is really true too.

So so far the alternatives offered to me have been pretty good. Be it extra amenities like fruits, pralines or wine etc. Sometimes even a complimentary lunch or dinner(albeit with the t&cs).

Mostly I'll just reply with "oh then can I get a late checkout in this case?" And have been offered as late as 6pm.

but again, the all important 4 letters. YMMV.

hailstorm Mar 21, 17 2:41 am

I usually bring up all the room types on my app right before checkin. Then if they try to say they can't upgrade me to a particular room type, I whip out my phone and use that to prompt them to try again.

That almost always works, but when it doesn't I don't push the matter any further, other than to let my displeasure be known at check-out or any post-stay surveys.

bigbuy Mar 21, 17 2:58 am


Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 28063472)
Up to you. Calling them out on it usually results in some hilarious conversations, like them explaining how those online listings are intended to generate an oversell, or the website isn't showing the "real" inventory, or they're actually holding back a suite or two that's for sale but "not available for upgrades" or other ridiculous stories. If you feel like standing your ground at that point, just call for a manager and give it a go from there. Like anything Hilton, it's luck of the draw.

Just my two cents. I'm sure the thread will digress into some accusations of "over-entitled elites" or such.

I think you just listed every excuse that was told to me by the FD staff at the Waldorf Astoria in Rome. I did get a free bottle of wine for my efforts though.

broadwayboy Mar 21, 17 3:43 am

Just let it go. When I was younger and foolish, I was once so upset that I didn't get an upgraded room despite availability. I just learned to move on and focus on other things that are far more important. :-)

jeffandnicole Mar 21, 17 7:25 am


Originally Posted by mingzie (Post 28063442)
When the agent explains you are not getting an upgrade because 'we are fully sold out' or 'we are sold out of that room type' when you know for a fact there are multiple rooms available to book online - what do you do?

I know this seems to come up quite a lot as the default excuse of not upgrading a member.

Is it bad etiquette to push the issue and tell them they are indeed available? Should we as guests just let it go and chalk it up as that they just don't want to upgrade us?

What's the best thing to do in this situation? Any insights, opinions or experiences would be highly appreciated.

I think it helps to know what excuse you would accept.

"No, we aren't upgrading you" is a bit direct.

thbe Mar 21, 17 9:44 am

A room, which is available for book, can be not available for an upgrade. It's up to the hotel to decide about that.

If I'm not happy with upgrades or late check-out, I talk about that to the hotel manager or general manager and if I still don't feel good about that, I change the hotel, the brand or or the group, if possible. If that's not possible, I try not to worry about it.

craz Mar 21, 17 10:17 am


Originally Posted by thbe (Post 28065977)
A room, which is available for book, can be not available for an upgrade. It's up to the hotel to decide about that.

If I'm not happy with upgrades or late check-out, I talk about that to the hotel manager or general manager and if I still don't feel good about that, I change the hotel, the brand or or the group, if possible. If that's not possible, I try not to worry about it.

Pretty much how I see it, if I needed the larger room or view then thats what I should have booked.

With that said, it still ticks me off but not in a :mad: way, that Im lied to with the sorry we are full during the duration of your stay while in fact almost every room type is available. usually I will vote with my wallet and not return to that property, but will let them know why upon checkout.

The vast majority of my stays are 1 nighters, I think it would bother me more if the stay was for more then 1 night.

DiverDave Mar 21, 17 10:26 am


Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 28063472)
Just my two cents. I'm sure the thread will digress into some accusations of "over-entitled elites" or such.

arlflyer - You were correct, do you want payment in cash or check? :D


Originally Posted by lyndonmaxewell (Post 28064325)
Upgrades are a privilege, not an entitlement


jlsw7 Mar 21, 17 10:59 am


Originally Posted by lyndonmaxewell (Post 28064325)
Upgrades are a privilege, not an entitlement


I disagree. Diamonds are entitled to an upgrade where its available. It isn't a favour in the gift of the reception staff.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:52 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.