FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Check in agent lies about upgrade availability - what do you do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1830775-check-agent-lies-about-upgrade-availability-what-do-you-do.html)

jamesteroh Oct 30, 2017 11:32 am

It would be nice if Hilton did what Hyatt does and give xx suite upgrades per year to diamonds tha tyou can book in advance. There are some trips where I really want a nice upgrade and on those trips if there is a Hyatt and they have the availability I book there instead of Hilton since I know I have a suite guaranteed and don't have to play the upgrade game.

I wish they had an upgrade policy in place requiring hotels to give upgrades as long as the have a certain percent of rooms types/suites available and looks like they won't sell out and prioritize upgrades like airlines do. Give upgrades to diamonds first, then golds then silvers and give priority to highest rate paid. I know that is harder to do with hotels than airlines since there are different room types and lengths of stays.

If there is a room type available for booking it may be held back to a higher value customer. If there are only two rooms on the exec floor left and four diamonds staying there that haven't been upgraded and a gold on a discounted rate checks in the hotel should hold those back for diamonds who check in later.

PayItForward Oct 30, 2017 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583 (Post 28993852)
Booked a 1K Junior Suite for 1-night stay recently. We've stayed at this property several times, and have been upgraded each time. We figured our chances for an upgrade were strong because it was the beginning of low season, we purchased a Junior Suite with cash, it was a 1-night stay, and several higher-level suites were still bookable the day of check-in.

We called prior to arrival and inquired about an upgrade. We specifically mentioned our stay history and our desire for one of the available suites. Without hesitation or clicking in their computer, the phone agent said "That suite is not available for upgrade. You're already in a suite."

While in line to check-in, I pulled up the HHonors app and the desired room was still available and bookable. During check-in, we inquired again, specifically mentioning the room we've had in the past and how much we enjoy it. Again, without hesitation or checking, the agent said "That room is not available for upgrade." I said "What is the cost to upgrade from my current room to that room? I'd like to pay cash." Again, without hesitation, the agent said "That's not possible. That room is not available."

The agent did "upgrade" us from a junior suite to a family suite. The family suite has bunk beds for kids, but since we weren't traveling with children, it provided no additional value to us.

I didn't want to make a scene at check-in, but the phone and desk agents appeared to be coached to not offer next-level-up upgrades. We understand, "want a suite, buy a suite", but the speed with which the agents responded was impressive.

While you might have gotten an above/beyond Upgrade in the past at this property, I thought upgrades are only to entry level Suites? E.g. can't book an Exec Suite and ask for Presidential Suite although one could be given but property is not required to under the Program...?

loomis Oct 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 28994958)
It would be nice if Hilton did what Hyatt does and give xx suite upgrades per year to diamonds tha tyou can book in advance. There are some trips where I really want a nice upgrade and on those trips if there is a Hyatt and they have the availability I book there instead of Hilton since I know I have a suite guaranteed and don't have to play the upgrade game.

I wish they had an upgrade policy in place requiring hotels to give upgrades as long as the have a certain percent of rooms types/suites available and looks like they won't sell out and prioritize upgrades like airlines do. Give upgrades to diamonds first, then golds then silvers and give priority to highest rate paid. I know that is harder to do with hotels than airlines since there are different room types and lengths of stays.

If there is a room type available for booking it may be held back to a higher value customer. If there are only two rooms on the exec floor left and four diamonds staying there that haven't been upgraded and a gold on a discounted rate checks in the hotel should hold those back for diamonds who check in later.

I agree with you. Upgrade certificates are definitely one competitive advantage of Hyatt over Hilton.

aww3583 Oct 30, 2017 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by PayItForward (Post 28995640)
While you might have gotten an above/beyond Upgrade in the past at this property, I thought upgrades are only to entry level Suites? E.g. can't book an Exec Suite and ask for Presidential Suite although one could be given but property is not required to under the Program...?

Per T&C's...

Upgrades for Diamond Hilton Honors Members may include upgrades up to “junior”, “standard” or “one-bedroom” suites. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors Upgrades. Upgrades exclude executive suites, villas and specialty accommodations (which may include, but not limited to, "Vista" and "Villa" accommodation types), subject to the discretion of the hotel.
When it all boils down, I was moved to a higher-quality room than the one that I booked. My motivation for posting was the two agents quickly dismissing my request for a specific room (complementary OR paid change) citing the room's unavailability.

I talked to the front desk manager today and he was apologetic and understanding of my concern.

ptownca Oct 31, 2017 8:40 pm

This is so appropriate to this thread: