Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Can't make the "points and money" feature work!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass

In "late February" HHonors was to have instituted a new points and money feature, a "slider" that allows the customer to pick a combination of points and money when booking.

However, it's now almost the ides of March, and I can't seem to make this feature work.

Trying to click on the "points and money" phrase is useless, and any attempt to book an awards stay just results in 100% points.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you try doing a money purchase? Maybe that is when the slider shows up.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by dlaue
In "late February" HHonors was to have instituted a new points and money feature, a "slider" that allows the customer to pick a combination of points and money when booking.

However, it's now almost the ides of March, and I can't seem to make this feature work.

Trying to click on the "points and money" phrase is useless, and any attempt to book an awards stay just results in 100% points.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Select points for the room and then you will see a cash and points icon. Click on that and there you go
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
First, you need to proceed as though you were going to do points only. Then you will see an option "Tap to customize your price" with a slider bar for points/miles combinations.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Thanks!

I had to click on "continue" after choosing the points option.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
The new points and money is a ripoff; you may as well just use full points and at least save the room tax that way. I hate to be negative, but this is the truth.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
It's almost cheaper to purchase points and replace them into your account, since you get charged any local taxes and service charges on the cash portion, whereas on a 100% points redemption these are not paid. So even if you're short the points in your account, it's cheaper to purchase them in the normal fashion, then go back and redeem the new balance, saving the taxes/fees on the room rate.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
You also can't combine it with some codes, including MVP. Seems like a bomb so far.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
It's almost cheaper to purchase points and replace them into your account, since you get charged any local taxes and service charges on the cash portion, whereas on a 100% points redemption these are not paid. So even if you're short the points in your account, it's cheaper to purchase them in the normal fashion, then go back and redeem the new balance, saving the taxes/fees on the room rate.
That's a win for you in reality. You save on the taxes and fees; Hilton Incorporated gets your money sooner. If anything, the hotel loses because they may not get the full payment for the room from Hilton Inc, and the city/town/state the hotel is in doesn't get their full tax amount.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: UA GOld, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Can't get it to work either.....
Old May 20, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
I booked some pretty nice deals on points plus money before this little slider thing came up - and I too could not seem to find it at all.

It really does not seem like a good deal at all.
Old May 20, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Maybe it's a psychological thing, but I find it useful if say a room during higher season is going for $200, but I feel it's worth $150 instead. At least I can throw a few points to get it down there. Also, now the cash component gets full points at 4x currently for Diamonds vs. nothing previously.

My dos centavos on the matter . . .
Old May 24, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
So yeah I figured out why I don't like the new "SLIDER" feature on the Points + Money option.

Back in the pre-slider days I booked a room at the Hilton Executive Park Charlotte for $50 plus 12K points. This was available on two different nights. It seemed a better deal than either the regular cash rate OR the points rate.

Now with the "new and improved slider" feature - if you were to use 12K points the cash portion comes to $109.98.

No me gusta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.