Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:13 pm

Hmmm. Would any of those nights happen to be before Jan 8?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:43 pm

Nope. All the nights are after Jan 8th.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:13 pm

Actually I re-read your posts from a few pages back and you were thinking of 2 or 3 nights for the upgrade, correct? Did you add a 6th night onto your stay? How many nights are you offering to prepay the upgrade for?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Actually I re-read your posts from a few pages back and you were thinking of 2 or 3 nights for the upgrade, correct? Did you add a 6th night onto your stay? How many nights are you offering to prepay the upgrade for?
My initial stay was for 5 nights with 3 nights upgraded to RWV. I added a 6th night and contacted them about additional upgrades. Currently I'm the first 2 nights in BV and the next 4 nights in RWV. But if I can get a cheaper rate I'd like to upgrade for 5 nights and only stay in the BV 1 night.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:29 am

I see. So just to confirm, the 3 (now 4) nights upgraded to RWV are confirmed at the rates you mentioned and you are due to pay for them at checkout, correct?

As for discounting your rate, at least some of early January is already fully booked and there's a good chance the rest of the month is also pretty full (lots of Russians at that TOTY). Therefore it might be hard for them to re-allocate the single night in the BV that you will be giving back. Pretty much no-one is going to take a single night in a BV. If that's the case, you can imagine that they have to consider that particular room being empty and losing the revenue it would generate for 1 night and so are reluctant to give you anything lower than what they have offered so far. Either that or they would have to give a free (or highly discounted) upgrade to either of the parties staying in that same BV on adjacent sets of nights in order to open up something worth booking. Then they lose all or part of the revenue that that upgrade would have given them. Lose/lose situation for them.

Can I make a suggestion. Staying in a villa for a single night then moving is a hassle, and a hassle that you could do without so soon after you arrive. And for most people it's not going to give you enough time to appreciate just how nice the BVs are. 2 & 4 is a good combination if you want to split a stay. If I were you I'd stick with 2 & 4, save a bit of cash and have more time to really enjoy their newly-renovated BVs. That's my 2c anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:09 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond

Can I make a suggestion. Staying in a villa for a single night then moving is a hassle, and a hassle that you could do without so soon after you arrive. And for most people it's not going to give you enough time to appreciate just how nice the BVs are. 2 & 4 is a good combination if you want to split a stay. If I were you I'd stick with 2 & 4, save a bit of cash and have more time to really enjoy their newly-renovated BVs. That's my 2c anyway.
+1
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:33 am

I see. So just to confirm, the 3 (now 4) nights upgraded to RWV are confirmed at the rates you mentioned and you are due to pay for them at checkout, correct?

As for discounting your rate, at least some of early January is already fully booked and there's a good chance the rest of the month is also pretty full (lots of Russians at that TOTY). Therefore it might be hard for them to re-allocate the single night in the BV that you will be giving back. Pretty much no-one is going to take a single night in a BV. If that's the case, you can imagine that they have to consider that particular room being empty and losing the revenue it would generate for 1 night and so are reluctant to give you anything lower than what they have offered so far. Either that or they would have to give a free (or highly discounted) upgrade to either of the parties staying in that same BV on adjacent sets of nights in order to open up something worth booking. Then they lose all or part of the revenue that that upgrade would have given them. Lose/lose situation for them.

Yeah that makes sense. I think I'll just leave it as 2&4. I'll try pinging them again in a month or two to see if prices have dropped. But it seems as of now they wont budge.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:11 am
Company Representative, Milaidhoo Maldives

So they open water bottles and check (smell?) the contents?
If they suspected something, yes they could.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:10 am

OK, so they don't do it as a normal routine and check everyone's water bottles. I suppose that would be a logistical nightmare and also please at least a couple of FT'ers here, LOL.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:55 pm

Heading back to Rangali for our 8th stay (10th in Maldives ... yup, we're addicted ...). Any FT'ers going to be at CR during period of August 4-11??
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:18 am
Company Representative, Milaidhoo Maldives

OK, so they don't do it as a normal routine and check everyone's water bottles. I suppose that would be a logistical nightmare and also please at least a couple of FT'ers here, LOL.
I can't confirm whether or not it's routine because I don't really pay that much attention when I go through customs (still half asleep, usually!).

A couple of years ago I did notice them taking water bottles off travellers coming into the country. I haven't noticed this since, but then I'm not really looking. My strong advice would be to not risk this. Customs are aware of this trick, and they do stop people, so your chances of getting caught are good. While accidentally bringing alcohol into the country isn't a problem, this is definitely smuggling.

Kat
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:26 am

We have arrived and it's as magnificent as everyone says! The biggest surprise in the few hours we've been here is how perfect the water temperature is, for some reason I was expecting it to be warm but it's really refreshing.

If anyone is going to be here for the next few nights let me know and let's grab a drink or two!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MilaidhooMaldives
I can't confirm whether or not it's routine because I don't really pay that much attention when I go through customs (still half asleep, usually!).

A couple of years ago I did notice them taking water bottles off travellers coming into the country. I haven't noticed this since, but then I'm not really looking. My strong advice would be to not risk this. Customs are aware of this trick, and they do stop people, so your chances of getting caught are good. While accidentally bringing alcohol into the country isn't a problem, this is definitely smuggling.

Kat
I thought the x-ray machines at exit were to check for this sort of stuff?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by MilaidhooMaldives
While accidentally bringing alcohol into the country isn't a problem, this is definitely smuggling.

Kat
Right you are, guv!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:42 pm

What's the etiquette on tipping for tea and free happy hour? We do have some cash here and service was exemplary at the happy hour yesterday. Just want to make sure everyone is being taken care of and it's also not frowned upon to tip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.