Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
If you have a Platinum card see what you can get from their Fine Hotels & Resorts program. I think you get a complimentary fourth night with them as well.
I already rebooked before seeing this. Didn't want it to sell Happy with getting the points back.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
New article reviewing Rangali

Hi folks,

Not posted for a few days, been busy writing my follow up article for my recent return to Rangali, its aimed at Hilton Honors members.

Its fairly comprehensive, MaldivesFreak has kindly given me a few pointers.

The article is likely to get its first outing via http://www.headforpoints.com in the next week, you may wish to sign up for free email alerts, Rob does 3 articles every day, great resource for UK based point collectors

Cheers

SR
http://TripRep.WordPress.com
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:39 pm

Just as a taster for how much of a follow up the latest review is... My previous review in Feb 2015 had approx 50 photos.

The latest review has more than double that!

It's gonna require a fair bit of scrolling!

Stay tuned....
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:33 am

ok, finally ready to write a review...

So normally I write something somewhat lengthy and then score the property at the end, but I can't here. There are too many variables.

If this is your bucket list destination, I totally get it. The locale is pristine if not magical. For me, it was something "new" to try in my travels and a great use of points. I'm not a scuba or lay on the beach all day person, so that may give me a different perspective than you.

So following are my thoughts broken down in to categories:

PRE-ARRIVAL/UPGRADES/ROOM/HOUSEKEEPING/LATE CHECK OUT

Having read this thread for more than a year, I put together a strategy for a paid upgrade (diamond member) based on what I thought their availability might be for the stay.

Luckily I was spot on and secured a DWV for the duration of my stay. Although I do not want to publish my approach, the price was far lower than what I've seen published here.

This made the stay and I think it was the perfect accommodation level for my needs. I'm not even going to approach the furnishings, etc.

Based on reading this thread, asked pre-arrival for the hot tub to be turned off so there wouldn't be any motor noise. It was, so this was perfect.

THE VIEW. THE SUNSET. PERFECT.

A couple of huge pluses. The air con is FANTASTIC. The staff brought me an ethernet cord and did a direct plug in to the modem so I had lightning fast speed with a direct connect. Even though you shouldn't be watching TV, it had the best selection of all my travels to the region.

Housekeeping was twice daily and had a constant refill of water. One day a bid made a rather large "imprint" on the deck. By the time I came back later, it was gone. Now that's attentiveness!

Offered (lucky) a 4 pm check out for the villa. Considering there are only 6 DWV, this was a huge perk.

DINING

So I'm a fine-dining guy. I figured I would start with casual meals, and if they were excellent, I'd go for something more substantial. Well, I never made it past a casual meal and you'll spot a running theme.

First night: Quiet zone bar, one burger, one cocktail one beer. $80 USD

The burger is made on the other island and then shuttled over. It was actually tasty and served with a small side salad.

Second night: Rangali Bar, BBQ chicken quesadilla

If you're going to sell this item:

1) It should be a quesadilla, not a burrito
2) It should have some semblance of BBQ, maybe they mean it's grilled and not BBQ sauce?
3) It shouldn't take 30 minutes when you're the ONLY one in the bar
4) Let the customer know it comes with fries so they can maybe sub out a salad or something healthier
5) You shouldn't be spitting out bone chips constantly.

The dish was dreadful and inedible. For $30+

Third night: Quiet zone bar, romaine salad with caesar dressing, croutons, bacon, parmesan, etc listed at $27++

I asked for the caesar salad and pointed to the item on the menu. He said, we don't have a caesar salad. OK, I said I want exactly what is on the menu with the dressing on the side. He said ok.

What showed up was a small bowl of white lettuce stems with six croutons (yeah, I counted) and a couple shavings of cheese.

The only unpleasantness I threw on this trip, I said, I am not paying $27++ for THIS. He apologized and took it off the bill.

Tea time

Held at Vilu and went three times. This is the one "perk" I think that completely under delivers and when a manager asked me what I thought of it, I said they should make it more substantial, combine it somehow with happy hour or scrap it.

The "sandwiches" are mostly bread and it's not very appetizing to eat something in heat with a cheese slice that's curled over due to the weather. Combine that with no soft drinks or prosecco and you're basically having a bread and water snack. The pastries were quite tasty. I'm not sure how many people want a spot of tea in 87 degree weather with 85% humidity. Perhaps change the offerings based on the weather. A cucumber sandwich on white bread would have been lovely compared to a dinner roll sliced in half.

breakfast

Dined at Vilu three times and Atoll market once... and what a difference.

Vilu was restaurant quality, substantial, fresh and delicious. The a la carte choices were varied. It was funny to see a couple with 8 plates of food as if they had ordered everything off the menu and it all looked good.

Atoll... I went an hour before closing and many items were "sold out" and not replenished. No bacon. No juice. Many items on the buffet lacked quality or seasoning.

HUGE vote for Vilu.

cocktail hour

Bartender remembers your drink or spirit of choice and is a machine. I figured with 40+ people there and one bartender, they would get backed up big time, but no. Now a lot of the "fruit flavors" are store bought pre-mix and NOT freshly squeezed, so if you are expecting that, you will be disappointed. I was hoping for fresh pineapple juice and not out of a can.

Canapes were quiet good but strange. On one side of your plate is a salmon snack with roe. On the other side is an onion ring?

Ithaa cocktail

So much fun! Yes, expensive to watch fish and have one drink, but you don't feel rushed at all and it's very relaxing. The canapes were inedible. Maybe just put down a bowl of nuts/olives/crisps like at the bar?

SERVICE

The staff is wonderful and genuinely care abut your stay and well being. When gardeners wish you a pleasant good morning, you know you are in good hands.

There are however some inconsistencies.

Sat down at quiet bar and the only one there. There's a while refrigerator with cold towels. Never offered one.
Sat down at Rangali bar. Offered a cold towel after my meal.
Sat down a different time at quiet bar. Same experience, never offered a cold towel.
Sat down at Rangali bar again. Offered a cold towel the minute I sat down.

Much has been made of the "upsell" and it's constant. Having not been to similar resorts, I don't know if it's the norm, but I excused it. It does feel disingenuous when a member of staff asks you about your holiday solely as an entrance to try and sell you a package. I was literally at dinner one night and someone tried to sell me a specialty dinner for the SAME night.

But again, zero unpleasant interactions with anyone and there's truly a service-first attitude and spirit.

ETC...

I've discussed this with a manager, but I had major outbound travel issues which confounded about half of my stay (not fun being in paradise if you're stressed out worrying you can't get home). While absolutely no fault of the resort, you're kind of "helpless" and just praying you can get a wifi call through to an airline. It's $12 USD per minute if you pick up the room phone and as we all know, sometimes the hold time can be 30 minutes alone. My cell phone couldn't hit any towers, so I truly was in a bind with no help and it was occupying the majority of my day. I understand, you're not in he middle of civilization and things happen, but it would be nice if a member of staff was also trained to perform some simple travel agent duties where they can get through to an airline for rebooking or get you some options where as a guest you don't have to spend four hours trying to make one complete outbound phone call without it dropping.

ALL IN ALL

Do I need to go back tomorrow? No. Would I love to go back at some point and return to a DWV and just watch the world float by. Absolutely!

Completely worth the 95k points + upgrade + seaplane + Diamond perks

Last edited by saaveraward; Apr 2, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:46 am

Vilu V Atoll

Yep, completely agree on Vilu, Feels more exclusive and is a regular haunt for Honors members.

​​​​​​We went there almost every morning, only choosing Atoll
1) when I was to hop on a dive boat shortly after
2) one day when the wind was v strong coming across the lagoon. So Atoll was more sheltered

As a result we tried about 80% of the dishes, my upcoming extensive review has plenty of photos of our favorites.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by texmanufan
I'd jump all over the Retreat villa for $4,820 for a five night stay. I may be in the minority but I love the Retreat villas. They have more privacy. Look at the resort map and the spacing between villas. They are also closer than any of the other overwater villas to decent snorkeling.
Another vote for the RWV! ^

I haven't logged onto FT in a while so hello everyone!

Edit: just saw its the RWV vs the PWV. The PMV is incredible. The RWV are great but the sound of the waves over by the PWV and WV will always be in my head. That to me, is the only downside of the RWV. You also have the fabulous pool on deck on the PWV. I'd go with the PWV if you could. The deal on the RWV is very good though. Request 421 if going for it.

Last edited by pineapple_09; Apr 2, 2017 at 10:04 am
Old Apr 2, 2017, 10:28 am

RWV Review

I cover the RWV in some detail in my latest review, plenty of pics of inside and out.

It should go live on www.headforpoints.com in about a weeks time. Feel free to visit and sign up for free daily emails so you know when it's published.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by saaveraward
ETC...

I've discussed this with a manager, but I had major outbound travel issues which confounded about half of my stay (not fun being in paradise if you're stressed out worrying you can't get home). While absolutely no fault of the resort, you're kind of "helpless" and just praying you can get a wifi call through to an airline. It's $12 USD per minute if you pick up the room phone and as we all know, sometimes the hold time can be 30 minutes alone. My cell phone couldn't hit any towers, so I truly was in a bind with no help and it was occupying the majority of my day. I understand, you're not in he middle of civilization and things happen, but it would be nice if a member of staff was also trained to perform some simple travel agent duties where they can get through to an airline for rebooking or get you some options where as a guest you don't have to spend four hours trying to make one complete outbound phone call without it dropping.
I had a similar issue at the Conrad Koh Samui. Maybe my fault, I guess, but Thailand in general just kind of fell through with working outside the lines of their routine service. This is where having a sharp concierge makes all the difference in the world. Agreed that the last thing you want is to get stressed at the end of a stress-free trip.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by hyperzulu
I had a similar issue at the Conrad Koh Samui. Maybe my fault, I guess, but Thailand in general just kind of fell through with working outside the lines of their routine service. This is where having a sharp concierge makes all the difference in the world. Agreed that the last thing you want is to get stressed at the end of a stress-free trip.
No kidding. I use the citi world elite line and they're a joke.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
Edit: just saw its the RWV vs the PWV. The PMV is incredible. The RWV are great but the sound of the waves over by the PWV and WV will always be in my head. That to me, is the only downside of the RWV. You also have the fabulous pool on deck on the PWV. I'd go with the PWV if you could. The deal on the RWV is very good though. Request 421 if going for it.
Thanks for the info.

I went for the RWV as getting the 380k points back just seemed like a ton of value. The whole point of going to the CMRI was an aspirational use of points, so it's a little strange that I've ended up paying cash for it!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:15 pm

Forgot to mention in my review slightly upthread, I had a lot of consternation about tipping since I haven't been to resorts like this. I brought a couple hundred in 5's and 10's (USD) and here's how I tipped. I have no idea if I'm over/under or what, and this shouldn't be used as a guideline. Just what I left.

Also, this is in cases where a bill is not presented and you can sign to the room and add to it.

Host - $20/day (left at end). Didn't really have them "plan" or "do" anything during the stay but felt it was needed, especially for the late check out. I would assume if you're a family and have the staff plan activities, etc, more would be appropriate.

room attendant - $10/day

breakfast - $5, did not see anyone leaving tips

afternoon tea - $5, did not see anyone leaving tips

happy hour - $5-10 depending on drinks consumed, did see some tipping here

buggy - $5 per ride, only used across the bridge and if I was in a hurry or late for something. probably excessive here and I did not see anyone else tipping but these guys are working hard and I busted up a toe the second day there (still able to walk fine) but glad for the buggy assist. Also, with 85% humidity it definitely helped save you from a little extra sweating.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:59 pm

For our American friends amongst us, here is how you tip in pretty much all of the rest of the world:

You Don't.

Staff are paid award wages and aren't expected to make it to minimum wages without tips. At the CM Rangali a (not quite but basically) compulsory tip is added to everything as a service charge so that tips are shared equally among front line staff and those behind the scenes.

in the US front line staff are often paid less as their expected tips make up a component of the wage. This is rare outside of your country, so by tipping for your dinner, you're ignoring the cooks, cleaners and everyone behind the scenes who is getting paid the same as the person who just happened to move your cooked food from the kitchen to your table.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Cynicor
For our American friends amongst us, here is how you tip in pretty much all of the rest of the world:

You Don't.

Staff are paid award wages and aren't expected to make it to minimum wages without tips. At the CM Rangali a (not quite but basically) compulsory tip is added to everything as a service charge so that tips are shared equally among front line staff and those behind the scenes.

in the US front line staff are often paid less as their expected tips make up a component of the wage. This is rare outside of your country, so by tipping for your dinner, you're ignoring the cooks, cleaners and everyone behind the scenes who is getting paid the same as the person who just happened to move your cooked food from the kitchen to your table.
I have been on five continents in the past 12 months. Thank you for teaching me.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: points traveller
i'm also in the no tipping camp.

particularly when there is already a service charge added to the bill.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:55 pm

I'm changing the subject.... but have a legit question someone just asked me. Is CR specifically north or south of the equator, and if so, by how much?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.