Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by ScubaRoo
Strange as it may seem, this coral bommie is not there to help to clear your mask....

...?!?! what an idiot..
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:09 am

Shame there's no such thing as carnivorous coral.....
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Shame there's no such thing as carnivorous coral.....
I was thinking along the same lines... wishing he had brushed up against some fire coral.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:08 pm

Actually I was going to say "Spear*** would've come in handy!" but decided against it for fear of the FT Thought Police.....
Old Mar 8, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I would have swam over to him and let him know what he was doing. He likely didn't realize the implications.

We had an issue at Vilu one afternoon. A group of (adorable) children were collecting crabs in front of the eating area. Then putting them in a hole and packing the sand as tightly as they could - I gather to see the crabs crawl back out. They were even jumping up and down on the sand, in what was essentially a crab coffin. Other crabs they were throwing as hard as they could on the ground to see what happened. All in front of their parents and the other guests.

I went over and asked the one group of parents to get their kids to stop. When a group of their friends came back 10 minutes later to create a separate crab prison, and we couldn't figure out who their parents were, my wife went down and in a friendly way told them that the crabs didn't like what they were doing. They stopped and said they were sorry.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Farewell Rangali...

I thought about trying to inform the person that stood on the coral directly both times, but didn't want confrontation with added potential language issues (think guest was from former Soviet Union). Also it was my last snorkel, so a potentially heated discussion in front of the guys family isn't how I want to remember my experience here, so for once I bit but my tongue.

In my view the most positive method for maximum future effect is to email on my return with the idea of a leaflet/cards giving snorkeling info in all rooms for all guests. I've found all tiers of Conrad staff to be very receptive whenever I've made polite and constructive friendly suggestions on service or facilities.

In fact whilst my memory serves me well enough, here's a roll call of most people that I can remember that were v helpful... Wish I could remember more but I've had 2 glasses of bubbly at breakfast...

Vilu Breakfast/Happy Hour
Ladies: Azu, Natalie, Azru,
Gentlemen: Ali, Zaaem (dry humour), Ahmed (a great Asst F&B Manager)

Lifeguard: Muhusin (Big Smiles everyday)

Host: Anees, nothing too much trouble, even more helpful than last time. Kurt also polite renting DVDs and showing me a KBV to photograph.

Managers: Alex (Rev. Manager), Alex W.
& of course the ever cheerful, polite, endearing and helpful Bobby S.

​​
Now in the Conrad seaplane lounge for an hour or so, our international flight home is delayed, so my wife is taking advantage of complimentary massage.

Heres last night's sunset from our RWV ...

And here's this morning's view leaving Rangali, as this is looking SE, Vilu is on the right, RWVs far left on main island..

​​​​​

Thanks again Rangali, your staff did you proud.

Last edited by ScubaRoo; Mar 8, 2017 at 11:14 pm
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:19 pm

Man, these photos are making me envious! I wish I snorkeled off the Mandhoo side!

Here's the only good photo of wildlife I got during my trip! I did the adventure snorkeling tour and we were fortunate to see this awesome whale shark. I was the last one off the boat, and I dropped into the water RIGHT in front of it. I had to swim to get out of its way, otherwise the tail would've hit me.

Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Man, these photos are making me envious! I wish I snorkeled off the Mandhoo side!

Here's the only good photo of wildlife I got during my trip! I did the adventure snorkeling tour and we were fortunate to see this awesome whale shark. I was the last one off the boat, and I dropped into the water RIGHT in front of it. I had to swim to get out of its way, otherwise the tail would've hit me.

Awesome WhaleShark pic Roger!

Yep Snorkeling ENE of Mandhoo is the way to go for the best snorkeling at the resort, makes the upgrade to a RWV very worthwhile for keen snorkelers. As we were waiting to leave our RWV for the buggy this morning, we saw a pair of 18" long Yellow Margin Triggerfish and a 1ft long Olive green Boxfish, all at the foot of our RWV steps..
Old Mar 9, 2017, 1:44 am

Brown Marbled Maldivian Grouper

Can't remember if I posted up this guy, about a metre long...
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:07 am

Great sunset pic. Very rare do you see it when the sun isn't obscured by clouds when it's just about on the horizon. Shame it wasn't a little larger. I'd have it printed and it'd be on the wall.

And CR has its 2000th review on TA. Congrads on 18 years under Hilton management! At least we don't have to worry about Hilton getting the boot or it changing hands like Iru Fushi and the WA. Having said that, there should be two new Hiltons opening in the Maldives in the next 2 to 3 years. One is under construction (location is a secret) and is going to be a WA. The other is unconfirmed, should be a rebranding and might possibly be a DoubleTree, would you believe it.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Mar 9, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
[QUOTE=ScubaRoo;28012168]In my view the most positive method for maximum future effect is to email on my return with the idea of a leaflet/cards giving snorkeling info in all rooms for all guests. I've found all tiers of Conrad staff to be very receptive whenever I've made polite and constructive friendly suggestions on service or facilities.[QUOTE]

Great idea. Should be in multiple languages like their other printed materials. And great sunset pic.

Having said that, there should be two new Hiltons opening in the Maldives in the next 2 to 3 years. One is under construction (location is a secret) and is going to be a WA. The other is unconfirmed, should be a rebranding and might possibly be a DoubleTree, would you believe it.
Interesting. So I am guessing more like 5 - 6 years for the WA.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: VA, A3, HH, SQ, EK, CX
12USD++ for a bowl of steamed rice at Ufaa... Ouch!
Otherwise delicious meal had.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by ozguytim
thats a whole dollar cheaper than water...
Old Mar 9, 2017, 3:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Having said that, there should be two new Hiltons opening in the Maldives in the next 2 to 3 years. One is under construction (location is a secret) and is going to be a WA. The other is unconfirmed, should be a rebranding and might possibly be a DoubleTree, would you believe it.
Yes I'd believe it when it's coming from you.

Then again, I'd also believe it because there is a Holiday Inn, yep a Holiday Inn, in the Maldives, of all places!

Originally Posted by ozguytim
Am I allowed to bring my own soy sauce?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:28 pm

New hotel resorts

Aye, on our Seaplane over I saw the island being constructed from nothing with jcb diggers on thin outcrops of sand (think Dubai's Palm), it's this island that we believe the WA will be on, lots of development in the Maldives at present for new resorts and the new Airport + bridge to Male.

This amount of competition may also keep the Rangalis HH redemption points price limited to a max of 95k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.