Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sam_goh
Lol @Maldivesfreak.... you have some time no doubt
Or committed.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
That was an awfully lot of effort to say:-

The website generally refers to the resort as an island instead of two islands.
The website refers to a single spa instead of 2 spas
The website refers to a single pool instead of two pools
The website maps consistently don't show the resort
the websites says you can drive.

Fair enough on the first point, in that it is a significant differientating factor, and could be made into a major selling point.

Do people really think two spas are siginificantly better than one ?

Not showing the resort on the maps is poor.

The issue about driving, and probably some of the others, are likely related to having to comply with some standard Conrad page layout format.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by tangey
That was an awfully lot of effort to say:-

The website generally refers to the resort as an island instead of two islands.
The website refers to a single spa instead of 2 spas
The website refers to a single pool instead of two pools
The website maps consistently don't show the resort
the websites says you can drive.

Fair enough on the first point, in that it is a significant differientating factor, and could be made into a major selling point.

Not showing the resort on the maps is poor.
Sometimes you can kill two birds with one stone. This thread, like a lot of others, can often do with a bit of humour thrown into the mix. And that was nothing. You should've seen the reaction I got when I took pics of 25 & 70 pieces of rubbish - very obvious to the naked eye - at CR & CKS respectively and sent them to SE Asia Hilton management. Sometimes corporate America needs a good kick up the backside before they clean up their act, so to speak. Having said that, I haven't made those pics (and other serious issues that we encountered over our visits) public and I never will.

The issue about driving, and probably some of the others, are likely related to having to comply with some standard Conrad page layout format.
Indeed, although it can be easily adjusted (after all it's just data) but HH USA are just too lazy to do it. I took that single thing and tried to make the most out of it and have a good laugh.

Do people really think two spas are siginificantly better than one ?
Ask the ladies!
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by Jermyn
Wow MaldivesFreak, it seems that it was just the calm before the storm!

Thanks for the tips diningdecadence and thanks for reading my TRs!

We will be diving as much as possible so don't much see the point in Ithaa, I'm glad you confirmed my thoughts on this. I'd rather spend the money at one of the restaurants where we can enjoy warm evenings outdoors and views of the ocean from above (still undecided on the wine cellar as it does seem a shame to be buried away underground).
That's pretty much what we figured and did when we were at Conrad Maldives as well. Being divers, dont see how a couple of fish at Ithaa would be worth it.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
That's pretty much what we figured and did when we were at Conrad Maldives as well. Being divers, dont see how a couple of fish at Ithaa would be worth it.
Agreed, Ithaa has less appeal if you've been seeing fish in the wild for 3-4 hours each day,

I didn't dive on my last visit as my wife doesnt, however we both thought the snorkelling was awesome (see my map + resort review in the sticky)

BTW - Just took advantage of the 100% bonus buy HHonors pts sale, extended my booking for 2017, will be there late Feb --> early March for 10 days, maybe 12, will probs go for a Manta/Whaleshark dive this time.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
We are 8 days away from beginning the journey to the Conrad Maldives. We had Ithaa on our list. Neither of us scuba dive but we do snorkel. As this is a "bucket list" trip - we would like to do Ithaa but thinking (at least for optimal viewing), lunch would be better than dinner. I know we are paying a HUGE surcharge for the experience - but the thought has crossed my mind that, so long as we are paying a ransom for lunch, why not pay the king's ransom for dinner since the menu is certainly more extensive (we are both foodies). What would you guys suggest?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:48 pm

Airport expansion???

Big enough for a A380 double decker!

Would love BA to put one on...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/08/maldives-airport-expanded-800m-china-contract
Old Apr 21, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by ORDPLATAA
We are 8 days away from beginning the journey to the Conrad Maldives. We had Ithaa on our list. Neither of us scuba dive but we do snorkel. As this is a "bucket list" trip - we would like to do Ithaa but thinking (at least for optimal viewing), lunch would be better than dinner. I know we are paying a HUGE surcharge for the experience - but the thought has crossed my mind that, so long as we are paying a ransom for lunch, why not pay the king's ransom for dinner since the menu is certainly more extensive (we are both foodies). What would you guys suggest?
Cocktails?
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
I would recommend dinner. It cost us slightly over $1,000 for two, but we felt it was worth it. The food and menu were good, and they'll also customize the courses to your liking if there is anything on the set menu you aren't thrilled about. You'll have plenty of time down there when they feed the fish with a lot of sun light to watch and take pictures, and it adds to the experience that the sun sets during the meal and the restaurant gets dark. The meal lasted 3 hours. Given that its a "bucket list" trip, I would go for it. We didn't have any regrets and felt the experience and food were worth the cost.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
I have no qualms with those who like Ithaa for dinner. But I've never seen the appeal, not for the kind of change required. I can wine/dine at Mandhoo several times for what Ithaa sets me back for one meal.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by Michael19887
I would recommend dinner. It cost us slightly over $1,000 for two, but we felt it was worth it. The food and menu were good, and they'll also customize the courses to your liking if there is anything on the set menu you aren't thrilled about. You'll have plenty of time down there when they feed the fish with a lot of sun light to watch and take pictures, and it adds to the experience that the sun sets during the meal and the restaurant gets dark. The meal lasted 3 hours. Given that its a "bucket list" trip, I would go for it. We didn't have any regrets and felt the experience and food were worth the cost.

For those who dive, would STRONGLY recommend the night dive. You go out close to sunset and are in the water when the sun goes down so you'll be watching the sunset from underwater. Will be dark when you finish the dive and if you're lucky, there will be bio luminesnce plankton around and the guide will let you turn off your dive lights and see them. I'd do it every night but my wife still gets freaked out diving at night :P

The dive center usually only does the night dives on request and need 2 or 3 min to go.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 6:59 pm

Second Time Visit - When to Go

Getting ready to book our second trip back to Rangali - so very exciting!! First trip was mid to late September and it rained nearly every day. No matter - the trip was still amazing and didn't deter us from booking a return as soon as it was feasible.

We are hoping to avoid the rain on our second trip. When is the best time to avoid the rainy season while still trying to avoiding the "high season", ie. Christmas/NewYears/Chinese New Years. I've found conflicting information on this thread and other weather websites.

Balancing rain season and cost, what are a few "optimal windows" for travel? Heat is not a problem - we're used to 100 degree summers with 100% humidity.

THANK YOU!!
Old Apr 21, 2016, 8:44 pm

lunch would be better than dinner. I know we are paying a HUGE surcharge for the experience - but the thought has crossed my mind that, so long as we are paying a ransom for lunch, why not pay the king's ransom for dinner since the menu is certainly more extensive (we are both foodies). What would you guys suggest?
I agree. Dinner has no kids so that's another bonus.

Originally Posted by texastexasyeehaw
We are hoping to avoid the rain on our second trip. When is the best time to avoid the rainy season while still trying to avoiding the "high season", ie. Christmas/NewYears/Chinese New Years. I've found conflicting information on this thread and other weather websites.

Balancing rain season and cost, what are a few "optimal windows" for travel? Heat is not a problem - we're used to 100 degree summers with 100% humidity.

THANK YOU!!
Christmas & New Years are classified as Festive Season and the prices are much higher than in high season. Chinese New Year isn't any more expensive than other dates in high season and it does vary by date. Check out this link for exact dates. The Wiki has info on which months are in which season and also info on the weather. I suggest that you email the resort for their Best Rates PDF which has all the prices. That way you'll have all the info you need to make a decision based on your budget, whatever that may be.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:42 pm
ikarandeep

Originally Posted by hyprspeed
Are any FTers going to be at Rangali during June 25th (Sat) to July 5th (Tue) this year?
I will be there! But I haven't booked it yet. Waiting for some points so I can redeem
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:44 pm

You'd better hurry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.