Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

UK Reservation Added 5% to Credit Card when made Advance Payment - 2nd Time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond

For the 2nd time this year, when I made an Advance Purchase reservation which required full payment, I noticed that I was charged a 5% fee of some type in the conversion process. I only caught it last time in February when I had an original reservation for 9 nights prepaid and added on 1 more night the same day when I had to change my flight by a day. On my credit card, there was a 5% additional charge for one of the reservations- otherwise, I might not have noticed.

Last time, I spoke with the Hilton Honors Diamond desk and they put me in touch with their advance purchase department and saw that instead of being charged in GBP, I was first charged in Euros and then converted to GBP and then to USD. My United credit card has no international conversion fees, so I was able to see the rate charged. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it unique to UK bookings or might it be that since their central reservations are in Eastern Europe, they do not all know that the United Kingdom does not use the Euro?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
It sounds like borderline fraud to me - I'd inform the property in writing that you'll be initiating a chargeback if this fee is not removed, given that you were not advised of it at time of purchase.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Sounds like another example of dynamic currency conversion. Call the hotel front desk directly and ask them to re-run it in the local currency, see if that works.

Neil
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Also make sure that they refund the original DCC'd amount, not some spurious amount that results in you getting less USD back. If not, contact the card issuer.

If you think the Fed will be raising rates tomorrow then I'd wait a bit, as the USD should go up a little. Then when the hotel refunds you it will have to pay out more GBP which will serve it right for trying the DCC scam.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Lifetime Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the advice. I spoke with one of the Front Desk managers at the Doubletree West End who was able to research that I was charged in USD instead of GBP which was the reason for the surcharge for the "dynamic currency" or should I say profit center for the property. With it happening 2 times this year. It makes me wonder if it is policy unless someone catches it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.