Occupied room - security issue!

Old Nov 12, 14, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Given an occupied room this weekend...

I checked in at the Hilton Costa Mesa on Saturday evening, and the desk assigned me room XXX, gave me the Starbucks vouchers, went over exec lounge hours, etc., then sent me on my way.

At the room, the door kept blinking red when I tried my keys. Then I noticed the "do not disturb" sign on it.

I went back to the desk and indicated my keys didn't work. Initially, the agent said, "Huh, they're set to the correct room..." then she said, "Oh! It's a good thing they didn't work. They [whoever "they" are] assigned you the wrong room... there's someone in that one. Let me get you something better."

In the end, I was in a King Exec, when I booked a King Standard (yeah, I suppose that is an upgrade--though they'd originally tried putting me in a King Standard). The agent said, "This is a much better room, too."

Have you ever had Hilton assign you a room which was occupied?
Old Nov 12, 14, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Hilton has never done that to a room I was physically staying in, but it did occur a year or so ago at the Dulles Hilton in the second room I had booked where my friend was staying. She woke up in the middle of the night to the door opening and weary business traveler and his bags saying "Oh my god, I am so sorry" before heading back downstairs. The morning after when I head about it, after being shocked, I did point out to her that I make it a point to put the metal hook over the door and deadbolt before sleep.
Old Nov 12, 14, 7:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Only once, at a Hampton Inn.

I invoked the 100% guarantee (which I've done maybe three times in 15 years) given the very serious security breach.
Old Nov 12, 14, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post

I invoked the 100% guarantee (which I've done maybe three times in 15 years) given the very serious security breach.
It happens if you travel enough. Douchy move to invoke the guarantee, though.
Old Nov 12, 14, 10:47 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Plat, UK AMEX Plat
It's worse when they give you keys that do work, and the person already in the room hasn't put the deadbolt / similar on the door.

I can think of a few times when I've gone into the room, and found another guest's stuff everywhere with the guest out. Once I opened the door and saw the TV on, appologised and went to the front desk. Once I opened the door, turned the light on, and got a shout from the person in there....

After the first time someone was given keys to my room (luckily someone I knew who was at the same conference!), I've learnt to always bolt/lock the door once I'm in the room for the night. A few times I've been woken by someone trying to open the door all the same, but at least they don't get in!
Old Nov 12, 14, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It happens occasionally at all chains.

Always bolt and chain the door.

If you think about it, it is really not a "very serious security breach." Keys are given to someone whose name and personal information are known to the front desk, and whose intent is to sleep, not commit a crime. Annoying, yes. Serious security breach, no.
Old Nov 12, 14, 11:48 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold

Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
I'd disagree. I'd probably invoke the guarantee too. If you weren't in the room, someone could have free range to your belongings (other than the maid/staff). And once that happens and someone WALKS IN, I'm done sleeping for the night.
Old Nov 13, 14, 2:30 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
It actually happened to me on Saturday night, also in a Hampton.

I was the one with the working key to someone else's room (although I'd selected the room online on Friday morning, so they'd allocated the room that I had been given).

I didn't expressly evoke the guarantee but I would have done so, but not just because of the original mistake but because of the two clerks on reception, the more junior one was hugely apologetic and helpful but the more experienced one was cutting him off on apologies and generally refusing to engage.

At check out I mentioned this to the manager and got the room comped without having to ask: the reality is I went to bed on Saturday night in a bad mood, going to the second room with little faith that I wouldn't have a repeat performance in a full hotel. The manager was great but the original mistake and the way it was handled definitely soured the experience, so I don't feel like a douche - the guarantee exists so that management gets to know when service is screwed up.
Old Nov 13, 14, 2:43 am

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
Happened to me at a Hilton in Europe. The room was unoccupied physically but I noticed belongings sitting out before I started to put anything away. The front desk staff were very embarrassed and upgraded both of the rooms in my reservation, and I left it at that.
Old Nov 13, 14, 3:10 am

There is NOTHING douchy about it.

If you get awoken in the middle of the night - or, as it happened, "greeted" by a stranger when you come out of the shower, that's a very good reason why you shouldn't pay for that night. The 2 times it happened to me I've been lenient to the hotel (They didn't had any official rule) but in a place with a satisfaction guarantee, I would definitely ask for the night to be on the house if this happens)
Old Nov 13, 14, 4:36 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
There is NOTHING douchy about it.

If you get awoken in the middle of the night - or, as it happened, "greeted" by a stranger when you come out of the shower, that's a very good reason why you shouldn't pay for that night. The 2 times it happened to me I've been lenient to the hotel (They didn't had any official rule) but in a place with a satisfaction guarantee, I would definitely ask for the night to be on the house if this happens)
OP asked if anyone was given an occupied room, not have a stranger walk in on them.
Old Nov 13, 14, 5:29 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I think douchy Is a little extreme. However for a true road warrior, It seems a bit petty. These things happen. How it is handled is the key.

I realize the couple of time a year travelers are less seasoned in these things, but there is little to no reason a seasoned traveler or anyone on this board should ever have someone walk in on them. Isn't that what the dead bolt/chain/bar are for? While i know other people, including housekeeping have tried to access my room with me in it, none were successful in entering with me in it..

I say this of Hilton... There are some independent hotels without these extra locks, but this is the Hilton Forum.
Old Nov 13, 14, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise View Post
OP asked if anyone was given an occupied room, not have a stranger walk in on them.
I see. Still, it can be very akward. I guess less for a guy, but imagine a woman walking into a room where a guy just comes out of the shower..

For both parties, there should be some sort of compensation imho.
Old Nov 13, 14, 6:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Because there is a very significant security breech present with such an event as giving someone your room keys when you are present, I would think its pretty much an automatic comped room along with a profuse apology.
Old Nov 13, 14, 7:29 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Douchy move to invoke the guarantee, though.
I think our standards in hotels must rather differ.

Appreciate all the comments from those who do get why this is a serious situation and a good manager would comp the room immediately without being asked.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: