Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors VP Takes Your Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Here is the full response from Aaron, cleaned up from the original reply.

Hi all,

Aaron and I really enjoyed reading through all your posts - it was great to receive such constructive feedback. After reviewing them, we wanted to address a number of the popular topics you raised. Please find Aaron's initial responses below.

Thanks again for participating!
Lauren

--

Hello FlyerTalkers,

I couldn't be more thrilled to be here and to connect with some of our most active members. When Lauren and I initially discussed this Q&A session, we knew there would be some interest. But the outpouring of comments - and your excitement about the future of Hilton HHonors - has truly exceeded our expectations.

Our top priority is to put members first, and at the heart of everything we do here at Hilton. That means we will continue to evolve and grow the program for you - based on your feedback. Through our new brands, new hotels and game-changing digital innovation, we are focused on creating lifelong relationships with our members by delivering exceptional, personalized experiences.

With that in mind, it's been incredible to see all your direct feedback on what's going well and what we can improve.

Hilton HHonors Promotions
Our team has been hard at work over the past year improving our offers and simplifying our approach to Hilton HHonors promotions. Many of you took note and it's great to hear your positive feedback. We've strived to make our promotions simpler, straightforward, asterisk-free, and inclusive of all properties - and it's clearly resonating with you. To keep up the momentum, we've got another promotion coming soon that we think you will enjoy.

Hilton HHonors App
When I joined Hilton, one of the things I was most excited about was our amazing Hilton HHonors app. We love it and based on your comments, so do you! It's amazing to hear all the ways it has improved your stays - whether choosing your own room or going straight to your room with Digital Key. As a road warrior myself, I've become a devoted fan - counting down until check-in time, browsing the floor map for green dots, and then picking my favorite room. We're also excited about more app enhancements coming soon, and the expansion of Digital Key to even more of our hotels across the world.

Gold and Diamond Tier Benefits
We received a lot of feedback on what you most like about each tier and our opportunity to think more about the progression from Gold to Diamond Elite. Our aim is to offer our Gold Elite members a choice of benefits from among the areas you've indicated are most important to you. Our Diamond tier takes these benefits to the next level - from upgrade priority, even more Bonus Points, a dedicated Diamond Desk at our Call Center and our up-to 48-hours room guarantee. That said, we've heard you and will continue to find ways to evolve both elite tiers

Lifetime Diamond
Launching Lifetime Diamond last year was a historic milestone for the program, and our inaugural "Class of 2015" and this year's "Class of 2016"" has shared incredible feedback. We also know that more of you want to achieve this exclusive status. While we are not ready to announce any qualification changes at this point, we are reviewing the status earning criteria with your thoughtful feedback in mind.

Room Upgrades
Complimentary room upgrades are certainly something we spend a lot of time thinking about and working on. We know you want more of them - and so do we. As you might imagine, there are many considerations in awarding upgrades across over 4,660 properties worldwide. But we hear you and will be looking for more and new opportunities to address your suggestions.

Breakfast/Waldorf Astoria MyWay Benefits
Breakfast benefits - whether part of the Hilton HHonors program or a standard offering of our brands - are an important part of our members' stay experiences. As you many of you know, we offer a full or continental breakfast for our Hilton HHonors members at the vast majority of our hotels. That said, we're not at 100% of our brands - namely Waldorf Astoria. While we do offer food and beverage benefits at Waldorf, we understand your perspectives and will be discussing it further with our teams.

Hotels Benefit Delivery
We will continue to focus on how we consistently deliver your Hilton HHonors benefits at each hotel. Our aim is deliver a more consistent, rewarding experience at all hotels by finding new ways to enable and empower our hotel Team Members across the globe. We relentlessly track performance at each hotel and work to quickly address the gaps you share. We also encourage you to provide "in the moment" feedback through the Hilton HHonors app and have our commitment that the hotel will respond rapidly during your stay to make it right. Keep your feedback coming - to the hotels and to us - and we'll keep evolving our approach.

Partnerships
We're proud of our partnerships and the opportunities to redeem Points for exclusive events -- from Live Nation concerts and exclusive artists experience to unprecedented McLaren-Honda VIP access races to rock-star-like access at The GRAMMYs. Glad you are enjoying them too - keep an eye on our auction website as we continue to add once-in-a-lifetime experiences to the mix.

Additional Suggestions
You shared feedback on a number of other areas - some more general and some very specific. We need a bit more time to consider these items, but it's incredibly helpful to know what you value most so we can prioritize accordingly. We'll use these insights for developing future changes to the program.

In closing my first Q&A with you, I'm reminded of what an exciting time it is to be at Hilton. My first job - many years ago! - was at a Hilton hotel. As such, I have a strong emotional attachment to this company and a passion to ensure Hilton HHonors continues to lead the industry. Even more importantly, I'd like to recognize our amazing Hilton HHonors team - the most talented, committed, and enthusiastic people in the business - and the 300,000+ Team Members who deliver exceptional experiences to you, our members, every day.

Warm regards, and I look forward to staying connected.

-Aaron
Print Wikipost

Hilton Honors VP Takes Your Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thank you very much for the opportunity Lauren!

I think that the biggest disappointment with the programme are the 'subject-to-availability' benefits.
It would be nice if late check-outs were guaranteed or, at least, if hotels were encouraged to grant them when it is possible (often, hotels will insist on paying a fee - I don't think Diamond members should be asked to pay for a late check-out/early check-in if a room is available).
The same concerns upgrades - most property will upgrade to either the next category or an executive room. Junior/full suites are often not even considered. Some hotels do not even bother assigning the best room in the category booked if they can't upgrade.
The resort fee should go as it includes everything that Diamond members should be receiving anyway.
And better differentiation from Gold members (by which I mean better benefits for Diamond members rather than taking away something from Gold members). Full breakfast, late check-out, better rooms - many things can be improved for Diamond members.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
1. Re: the diamond suite upgrade - it needs to be clarified if it's a 'one category room upgrade, even if that room happens to be a suite' - so we can book one category below and expect a suite, if that's the case - or if it's a question of 'if we have any spare suites, we'll upgrade you into a suite no matter what.' I would be fine with either, if I knew how the property would apply the policy.

2. The breakfast policy also needs to be applied clearly - no more vouchers for a croissant and a coffee, and the upcharge to full breakfast should never be more than that paid by a walk-in. Ideally just do away with it together and offer full breakfast for diamonds.

3. I also agree re: the BRG team - I've only ever had one experience, which was positive, but there is too much anecdotal evidence of failures.

4. I'd also strongly welcome a late check out or some kind of rolling 24-hour period for diamonds - i.e., if you check in at 3 p.m. you can check out at 3 p.m. - perhaps anywhere between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. - even if that meant that the room upgrade was only space-available based on actual inventory at that time.

5. Also, how about some acquisitions in Europe - I know France is Fortress Accor but it would be good to have more options there, plus Scandinavia, and maybe some lower-end properties in the UK. (There is a particular chain that I think could be absorbed into Hampton in about 30 seconds).

6. As for resort fees - I don't like them, but I don't think diamonds deserve special protection from them. They're basically a way of offering cheaper headline rates, rather than upselling a benefits package. Asking for money off a resort fee would be like asking for discounts at Hampton because everyone's breakfast and wifi is free. That said, it would be a great enhancement to the program and an incentive to consider more properties and particularly to encourage points redemptions.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:02 am
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
Late Check Out

The lack of a standard, reasonable late check out time for elites has caused me to move quite a few hotel bookings from Hilton to SPG (4PM for Golds) and Hyatt (2PM for Platimum) --of note, those are not the top-tier level in either program by the way

That's my main issue
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I will mostly echo what other said:

Things that are easy and cheap to do:
1. Provide contact e-mail for each property web-site that is actually monitored.
2. Provide information about the lounge on the web-site (that is easy to find).

Things that are not so easy and cheap to do:
1. Late check-out - it become to be the standard.
2. Breakfast should be breakfast. Full breakfast. No if, buts and thens. No voucher, coffee, 10$ off. Just full breakfast plain and clean.
3. Clarify about upgrades and actually provide them in some sort of logical manner.

I've been Hilton elite for many years. I've mostly started with Hilton because the mid tier level (Gold) was easy to achieve and provided real benefit to me. I've also been a (real) Diamond for couple of years.

When the business travel slowed down I've maintained my status using credit card. I know the road warrior do not thing much about us, but it has driven my infrequent stays to Hilton because of the status.

However, fast forward couple of years, and now the mid tier level (Gold) in Marriott is also easily achievable through credit card. By comparison, city by city, Marriott have more hotels with lounges (which a Gold get access to) as compared to Hilton; the breakfast benefit if no lounge or lounge is closed is better, while price wise Hilton is slightly more expensive. Just biased information from one infrequent traveler.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
How is it possible, that Hilton Aruba breaks the rules and renames their Lounge to leave out HHonors-Members? And how can that be accepted?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I think that a lack of water for Diamonds in UK properties is appalling. I think it is an essential and to take it away seems to lower the tone of the programme. It is such a basic necessity - tap water can be warm, and taste yucky as in the Doubletree London West End!

I agree with the others on breakfast continuity and upgrades for Diamonds. As an IHG Spire I always got an upgrade, but having moved to Hilton I have rarely got an upgrade in the UK - outside of the UK yes I have so that is OK.

In fact - to me the programme needs shaking up in the UK as there seems to be a lack of respect for top tier members in a lot of the UK hotels!

aks120
Old Jul 19, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by flysmart2
How is it possible, that Hilton Aruba breaks the rules and renames their Lounge to leave out HHonors-Members? And how can that be accepted?
Careful, Hilton may just rebrand the property to WA to "fix" the problem.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:36 pm

Firstly best of luck to Aaron in your new role, we hope any changes that you implement are positive (For us!).

Few things that I feel need looking at are below.

Online check-in - Firstly the idea is great and I like being able to pick my room, however there are a few issues. There is a message about being upgraded at check-in on the app when checking in but this isn't followed through at the property. Almost everyone here at some point or another has had the "You picked the room, it can't be changed" discussion at some point or another which simply puts us off using the service. Another issue I have started to notice is when you try and check in there is a pre-allocated room and nothing else except the accessible room then suddenly around lunchtime on the day of arrival thirty to forty other rooms open up and you can have a free pick. There needs to be some firm guidance to the properties on best practice and if that means pre-upgrading (which admittedly the best properties already do) has to happen so be it.

Status match - I don't have an issue with them personally and I have used them with other chains in the past, however there appears to be little control of it at Hilton. I personally feel it should be a once only occurrence or say once in five years. I know of several people who matched last year when it was launched and then rematched when the offer was extended earlier this year to take in all of next year. So basically Hilton are matching some people twice within months. I can the imagine the response I would get if I wrote to the DD on December 30th saying I'm two stays short this year can you extend me anyway.

Status - The gold/diamond differences have been mentioned quite a lot here. Personally (and I know this will go down like a lead balloon with some but I will point out that this is the first year in five that I have been diamond so it's not a case of I've always been diamond and I'm trying to curb good for the sake of it) I would remove the upgrade from gold altogether. This then removes the issue of a G arrives before a D and manages to get upgrade and D doesn't etc etc.

Breakfast - Bin the line "Complimentary Continental breakfast" and change it to "Complimentary hot and cold buffet breakfast" with a complimentary standard cooked option available for the small number of properties that don't have a hot buffet. This may then mean that the cook to order special items would become chargeable which would upset some but for most this would be a better option

Waldorf Astoria - Introduce the breakfast option and if needs be bin the movie and possibly the spa discounts to fund it.

The U.K. - Lounges are pretty thin on the ground here (barely into double figures) and the recent removal of the small amenities that were usually placed in the room (Drinks voucher, jelly beans and nuts) at properties with no lounge is pretty sad to be honest. For the small amount per room that these items cost they probably generated a lot of goodwill. The drinks voucher actually encouraged me to soend more in the property as I would very rarely only have one drink when using the voucher and I would more often than not eat downstairs and have two courses rather than one. Now I bring in a few bottle of coke from work and order room service or eat before I get to the hotel. The end result is less income and less profit whilst I save a small fortune. Great for me but probably not the result Hilton wanted. The copy and paste responses that were sent to guests querying the matter from the EMEA Full Service Brand Management was also pretty disappointing.

Hampton - Start allowing the accrual of points for F&B spend. It's pretty annoying and as a result if I stay at one I never purchase anything from the bar/shop/food menu.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Many of the earlier posters have covered most of the pain points. Just to hit on a couple.

Originally Posted by Globalist
As a diamond I look for consistency.
1. Upgrade to a suite when available.
Seriously! In the 2-3 years as a Diamond I've received 2 suite upgrades despite there usually appears to be availability based off the reservations site. 2, one being at a Hampton Inn of all places. If feels like a non-benefit because it's virtually never fulfilled.

Late checkout would be huge. Like other posters on this thread, asking to check out at 1 pm is like I'm asking for their first born child.

Breakfast consistency. I was at a Hilton in Australia a couple months ago where the lounge breakfast spread didn't include any hot items and required an upcharge to take breakfast in the restaurant.

Consistency in lounge hours would be good too. It's frustrating when a hotel decides to not open it's lounge on a weekend, for instance. I'd love to say that every full line Hilton and Conrad should have a lounge, but that might be asking too much.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Jul 19, 2016 at 8:14 pm
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'd love to say that every full line Hilton and Conrad should have a lounge, but that might be asking too much.
Apologize for being slightly off topic, but I thought a few years ago there was a push to "standardize" the Hiltons and one of the items was they were supposed to all be moving to all having Executive Lounges, but somehow that seemed to be short lived or petered out.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Three pages in and i have at least one unique question...

- Are there any plans to enhance relationships with airline providers similar to Marriott and United? Id' be fine with a Delta/Virgin tie up by the way

- Less unique but... are there any plans to start adding in reward nights to the lifetime diamond qualification criteria? Having spent $1000's on Hilton points it would be a nice boost to see that spend recognised also

- Value of being a paid up diamond - I feel like i am treated fairly well as a diamond although i don't think i've ever been substantially upgraded to a suite yet, it feels as though others are getting treated equally well and they aren't spending at least 1 night in every 7 in a hilton which is a bit frustrating.

- Are there any plans to replicate IHG's PointsBreak programme, i think the buzz that creates is one of the best promos out there and i think Hilton's current promos are good but not very exciting...
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:27 am

Having belonged to Hilton Honors since 2000, I am most anxious to see a status bar that shows how many paid nights a member has towards Lifetime Diamond.

Also, since using points for one night of a multi-night stay makes the whole stay a Reward stay, does that mean that the paid nights of that stay do not count towards Lifetime Diamond status? I currently have a million honors points in my account, but am hesitant to use them because I believe I am about a year from obtaining Lifetime Diamond, and don't want an occasional use of points to void the number of paid nights I would have during the same stay.

It's frustrating knowing that my base points have been between 250k and 300k for each of the past 3 years, but those base points mean nothing toward Lifetime status, and many of those nights don't count because were part of reward stays. I tend to spend a lot on incidentals during reward stays as appreciation for the free night.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Plt, HH Diamond, IHG Plt
Lifetime Diamond

I have been a Diamond member for 15 years and have no hopes of lifetime Diamond as 1000 paid nights is a lot. Other chains that have lifetime status do not required that many nights. Could an increased in the number of years as Diamond reduce the 1000 night requirement? That would seem fair to off set the number of nights required with increased years as Diamond. You currently require 10 years as Diamond and 1000 paid nights. How about 15 years as Diamond and 700 nights?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ernie8575
How about 15 years as Diamond and 700 nights?
Because that is a different revenue attainment metric?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by bonoman
Because that is a different revenue attainment metric?
Agree completely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.