Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok {HKG}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; AerClub Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by as219

That’s right. They all face west, but only rooms on the uppermost floors afford official harbor views. it’s a strange building, actually, with rooms only on one side. That said I liked my stay there and would return.
I agree, I enjoyed my stay and I was happy with the hotel and the surrounding area.
Just don't expect a great harbor view. I would rather describe it as city view.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:52 pm
duo

What's the area like the hotel is located in? Safe to walk back at night?

Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by duo
What's the area like the hotel is located in? Safe to walk back at night?

Thanks
Hong Kong is a generally safe place and the area around the hotel is no exception.
duo likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I agree. The area may appear a bit dodgy at night but should be safe. I had no concerns walking the streets at night in this area (or Hong Kong in general)
as219 and duo like this.

Last edited by SK AAR; May 1, 2018 at 4:15 am Reason: spelling
Old May 1, 2018, 3:09 pm
duo

Thanks ^

Hotel is booked Last time I was in HK I stayed at the Conrad - think I got spoilt.

Last edited by duo; May 1, 2018 at 3:10 pm Reason: Correction
Old May 3, 2018, 9:07 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I’m here now as a Diamond. No changes from the previous posts. The A21 bus is convenient and much faster than Google estimates. The breakfast buffet is an odd mix of east and west. No bacon, but they have chicken nuggets.

The neighborhood is kind of a HK version of Home Depot, but there are also tons of small cheap restaurants and dumpling stands. It’s also an easy walk to Tim Ho Wan, and to the Mongkok MRT.

There is also a little room with washer and dryer available for HKD$100. Bonus points that the token it uses looks like a cat head.

Just had 2 stays there between Guangzhou for the Canton Fair...A 3-nighter and a 5-nighter. These were my 4th and 5th stays at this place and I think I did a little write-up of my previous experiences. Also a Diamond. First, some comments on the above post--

1. Some sort of 'bacon' is available upon request from the back at breakfast (they also offer ham and pork sausage). I actually think it's beef bacon. It's not terrible, but it's not crispy. Certainly not what, I believe, the Brits call 'streaky bacon'. But in general, I was so tired of the buffet 2 days into my second stay...The items barely rotate, the only differences from day-to-day are a single different noodle dish and a single different dim sum option. Food is okay, not great. I ended up at McD's for a Sausage McMuffin for my last 2 days, and on departure day, headed to HKG early to lounge hop for certainly better food.

2. I'm too cowardly to try the small restaurants and generally walk over to the Grand Tower for dinner...Nice mix of east and west. I was 'this' close once to trying the small French-looking (but still Chinese food) restaurant a block down on the first corner walking towards Nathan Road. (Blue-looking interior)...Until one morning I was walking to 7-11, peered in and saw two cats humping on one of the dining tables!!!! Yeah, I'll take a pass and stick to The Spaghetti House, Dynasty or one of the Japanese places in the Grand Tower. But I too have thought of the area as a scattered Home Depot of sorts...And apparently there's a ton of money in aluminum scaffolding--ever see the red Ferrari, ruined by plugging his scaffolding business with a shoddy paint job saying "Rising Scaffolding"?

3. Save your HK$100 on their laundry machines. Across the street and 2 1/2 blocks down from the hotel, on Soy St is a mom-and-pop laundry. I had 14 pounds of clothes (about 9 days worth of underwear, t-shirts and socks, plus 3 polos, 2 dress pants and a heavy hoodie). HK$75, washed, dried, folded and back to me in 4 hours.

Further notes from this trip:

Booked right into and paid for the "Junior Suite" for both stays...When I made the reservation ~8 months ago, the difference was only about HK$200/night. And during trade fair time, the rate for said Junior Suite was only $1520++ on a AAA rate. Not bad at all for HK. For the first stay, they upgraded me to the one deluxe suite on property, Room 2002. That was nice. Plenty big enough...Nice bathroom, and from what I've observed, features the only tub in the hotel, but I didn't use it. While I don't watch much TV, there was no TV in the separate bedroom--only in the parlor room.

Second stay the following week, Isiah, one of the managers, actually apologized that they couldn't upgrade me again, so settled for what I booked, one of what appears to be only 2 "Junior Suites" on property. I received the room right next to my previous stay, room 2005. I was surprised how small it was. Yes, I've been going to HK for 20+ years and have stayed in dozens of hotels from the Conrad to the Shearaton, Renaissance, Hyatt and smaller places like the Miramar ('Mira' now?), Courtyard, Excelsior, and others. So I know how small a HK room is. I think the Jr. Suite was maybe 5 feet wider (side wall to side wall?). The bathroom was SLIGHTLY larger (no tub). By suburban US hotel standards, this still checked in to be much smaller, and I see why the delta was only HK$200 different than a standard room. But note, I was not unimpressed--I guess I just expected it to be a tad bigger--but more than sufficient for me, a solo traveler not spending a ton of time in the room outside of walking the various trade fairs while I was there.

Anyway, to further food. I'm NOT an adventurous eater. I just can't do the food stands or the little restaurants (the cats reproducing were a sign--just as I think I'm going to try something, I see that, and get thrown back into 'safe' decisions). I know I'm missing out...But food itsn't that important to me...When in Asia, I generally just want to fill the hole with relatively safe options. In mainland China, I rarely venture beyond the executive floor lounge. But here's a list of the restaurants in the smaller nearby mall, 2 blocks to the left when you walk up Soy St. to Nathan Road...Several options in the aforementioned Grand Tower: https://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong...?landmarkId=52 (I've safely done and enjoyed Paradise Dynasty, Pokka, Moccha, Yamaton, Watami and the Spaghetti House).
bitterproffit likes this.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; May 3, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Old May 3, 2018, 9:49 am

The food court at Langham Place is pretty good, but I think the food court at Olympian City (other direction) is cheaper and less crowded. I was going to book a room for my mom here this week, but I looked at the price and it was just a little lower than the Cordis, so I got her the Cordis instead.
Old May 3, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Need
The food court at Langham Place is pretty good, but I think the food court at Olympian City (other direction) is cheaper and less crowded. I was going to book a room for my mom here this week, but I looked at the price and it was just a little lower than the Cordis, so I got her the Cordis instead.
+1 on Cordis. I have moved half my stays to Cordis from the Conrad for the past 15 years. For the price of the cheapest room at the Conrad, I can get a suite at the Cordis and the service and breakfast is just as good.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:38 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Hilton Garden Inn Mong Kok Hong Kong

Hilton Garden Inn Mong Kok Hong Kong

Last edited by Konismarck; Jun 3, 2018 at 9:42 am Reason: font size
Old May 26, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

There is already an extensive thread on the hotel, so it doesn't "come as a surprise" to many FTers.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:07 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Strange review. Complaint of a lack of Harbourview with a picture of the view showing the harbour! It’s partial, but is Mong Kok after all.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by markis10
Strange review. Complaint of a lack of Harbourview with a picture of the view showing the harbour! It’s partial, but is Mong Kok after all.
Yes, I have stayed in a hotel in the heart of Mong Kok and this is expansive views in comparison. I should give this Hilton Garden Inn a try.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
This user is known for posting photo-bomb reviews of properties. He even gives the final rating to two decimal places, as if that was somehow significant.

See here for a good example: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...end-hun-2.html

Last edited by yurtripper; May 26, 2018 at 8:23 am Reason: Fixed link/wording
Old May 26, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurtripper
This user is known for posting photo-bomb reviews of properties. He even gives the final rating to two decimal places, as if that was somehow significant.

See here for a good example: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...end-hun-2.html
Note the oversize heading referencing his website. The OP just tries to pump his blog by spamming the property reviews all over FT hotel forums.
Globalist likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 4:14 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
I can only recommend this hotel. Rates were trough the roof during my weekend in HK but standard points redemption provided a good value. I am only Hilton Gold but i could check-in at 9:30 am and had a late-checkout at 3pm. That alone is just reason to comeback. The bed is fantastic, i used the pool twice. Breakfast is ok... Location is also ok, lot's of food options within walking distance as well as MongKok MTR station.

Statt is very friendly, one of my best stays in Hong Kong... ( Stay at the Sheraton was horrible compared to that )
mcgahat and turtlemichael like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.