Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Edinburgh Carlton {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by B747-437B
As an aside, I paid for my stay with my Citibank HHonors Card which is supposed to give 10x points for each USD spent at Hilton properties. However, when I got my latest statement I have been credited with only 3x points for regular purchases.

Back and forth with Citibank has let to me being advised that this property has not been properly coded as a Hilton property yet, so the standard Hilton bonus points will not be credited for spend at this property. I'm not amused because I charged our dinner at Marco Pierre White to the room to take advantage of these extra points, otherwise I could have just as easily put it on my Chase Sapphire Reserve to get the 3x bonus on dining.

Just a heads up to anyone who may be in a similar situation.
Thank you for the heads up B747-437B^
It may be a franchisee property so it may never be coded as a Hilton. Those who intend to pay with specific credit cards that give HHonors bonus points need to take this into account when planning to stay here.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
I believe it is owned and managed by Jurys Inn: https://www.jurysinns.com/hotels/edinburgh-carlton
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
It is owned by Jury's as this is the new Doubletree in Glasgow.

I stayed at Glasgow the week it transferred to Doubletree, they had issues with their card terminals.
It meant that they couldn't take pre-authorisation on AMEX cards, although they could settle at the end of the stay with Amex cards.

I imagine it's down to the card terminals needing re-configuring to show Hilton.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:30 pm

Does anyone have any experience of this property honouring status benefits, when booking through a third party (ba.com in my case)?

Non-US properties seem pretty good in this respect...hoping someone can confirm this is the case here too.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:27 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Any recent reviews of this hotel?
Thinking of staying here Memorial Day weekend as it's very near the wedding I'm attending.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Any recent reviews of this hotel?
Thinking of staying here Memorial Day weekend as it's very near the wedding I'm attending.
Living in Edinburgh I haven't had the pleasure yet but....

There are a total of forty one poor/terrible reviews on TripAdvisor and twenty of them have been posted since early February which seems pretty high to me.

Looking at them there are three which jump out as being the same person with different usernames and singling out a woman named Emma.

The front desk sounds absolutely miserable and is highlighted In numerous reviews whilst HH treatment also seems poor.

Breakfast has also been hammered in a couple of the reviews.

Hopefully someone who has stayed will be along shortly but looking at the reviews I'd probably be leaning towards the DT which is five minutes in a taxi from this hotel and is excellent.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Recently awarded "Scottish Business Hotel of the year"
http://www.scottishhotelawards.com/a...-the-year.html
Old May 16, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Quick review

Just finished a three-night stay here. My partner and I were in Edinburgh for the start of our holiday and chose this hotel primarily for the location, which turned out to be perfect. We used points and I am a HH Diamind.

Location - it is steps away from the royal mile at the halfway point. It is also nearly on North Bridge, so it's also very convenient to New Town. As first time visitors, the location was perfect and better than I think the Doubletree or Caledonian would've been. We took the airport bus to the last stop and walked a quick five minutes to the hotel.

Room - we had a corner room (junior suite?) overlooking the bridge. I'm certain we got upgraded - the room was very fresh and modern and afforded spectacular views of new town and Carlton hill. It contained a writing desk, king bed, sofa bed (twin?) and coffee table. The bathroom was modern. Large shower but no tub.

Lounge - small-ish with a bar-height table and two computers w printer in one section and another seating area with three small tables and a bench with opposing chairs. There was coffee/tea and soft drinks 6am-9pm.

Breakfast was quite limited, but the extremely helpful attendant will bring you anything from the restaurant's breakfast buffet as well as cooked-to-order eggs and pancakes. The quality was fine. Variety was limited. Then again, you didn't come to Edinburgh to spend time at the breakfast buffet. We had breakfast in the restaurant (accidentally) the first morning and it was a better selection. Not sure if this generally a diamond benefit, but we were not charged.

Afternoon - they set of some packaged snacks. Not sure if this all day or a defined time.

Evening - happy hour lasts 5-8. There is a small cheese selection, a hot dish, a vegetarian soup and the aforementioned snacks. There is also beer, wine and some basic spirits. The soups were not good (two nights minestrone one night mushroom). The hot dishes were better. One night was haddock with sun dried tomatoes and the other two were beef. Canapés from the Michael White restaurant were also passed one night, but I don't know if that's a regular thing.

Service - as I mentioned the woman at breakfast (Victoria) is a superstar. She remembers drink preferences, is friendly and very good at meeting everyone's needs. The evening attendants were generally friendly and helpful too, but less exceptional than Victoria. The front desk staff we interacted with were fine. Not particularly friendly or engaging, but not rude either. FWIW, I did overhear some other guests Discuss obnoxious front desk staff. Lastly, housekeeping was minimal. They made the bed and emptied the rubbish bins, but did not restock tissues, toiletries or coffee. There was also no discernible tidying up.

We did not use the fitness room or have lunch/dinner in any of the restaurants.

Overall, we were really happy at this hotel. Again, the location is perfect and the facilities are all newly renovated. The breakfast and lounge met our needs.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 54austin
Just finished a three-night stay here. My partner and I were in Edinburgh for the start of our holiday and chose this hotel primarily for the location, which turned out to be perfect. We used points and I am a HH Diamind.

Location - it is steps away from the royal mile at the halfway point. It is also nearly on North Bridge, so it's also very convenient to New Town. As first time visitors, the location was perfect and better than I think the Doubletree or Caledonian would've been. We took the airport bus to the last stop and walked a quick five minutes to the hotel.

Room - we had a corner room (junior suite?) overlooking the bridge. I'm certain we got upgraded - the room was very fresh and modern and afforded spectacular views of new town and Carlton hill. It contained a writing desk, king bed, sofa bed (twin?) and coffee table. The bathroom was modern. Large shower but no tub.

Lounge - small-ish with a bar-height table and two computers w printer in one section and another seating area with three small tables and a bench with opposing chairs. There was coffee/tea and soft drinks 6am-9pm.

Breakfast was quite limited, but the extremely helpful attendant will bring you anything from the restaurant's breakfast buffet as well as cooked-to-order eggs and pancakes. The quality was fine. Variety was limited. Then again, you didn't come to Edinburgh to spend time at the breakfast buffet. We had breakfast in the restaurant (accidentally) the first morning and it was a better selection. Not sure if this generally a diamond benefit, but we were not charged.

Afternoon - they set of some packaged snacks. Not sure if this all day or a defined time.

Evening - happy hour lasts 5-8. There is a small cheese selection, a hot dish, a vegetarian soup and the aforementioned snacks. There is also beer, wine and some basic spirits. The soups were not good (two nights minestrone one night mushroom). The hot dishes were better. One night was haddock with sun dried tomatoes and the other two were beef. Canapés from the Michael White restaurant were also passed one night, but I don't know if that's a regular thing.

Service - as I mentioned the woman at breakfast (Victoria) is a superstar. She remembers drink preferences, is friendly and very good at meeting everyone's needs. The evening attendants were generally friendly and helpful too, but less exceptional than Victoria. The front desk staff we interacted with were fine. Not particularly friendly or engaging, but not rude either. FWIW, I did overhear some other guests Discuss obnoxious front desk staff. Lastly, housekeeping was minimal. They made the bed and emptied the rubbish bins, but did not restock tissues, toiletries or coffee. There was also no discernible tidying up.

We did not use the fitness room or have lunch/dinner in any of the restaurants.

Overall, we were really happy at this hotel. Again, the location is perfect and the facilities are all newly renovated. The breakfast and lounge met our needs.
Sounds promising, will have to try before the rates explode for the festival/ fringe.
Just need to suss out current best parking option / deal for arriving with luggage!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
Hilton Edinburgh Carlton Review

I've been pretty tardy with this, but there aren't many photos on the thread so I thought it would be worth sticking up. Hope it's useful

The Hotel

(You can see more and larger images on my blog by clicking here: http://offonone.co.uk/2017/06/hilton...arlton-review/ )

Hilton Edinburgh Carlton is a newly rebranded hotel located on North Bridge, on the corner of the block looking down onto Edinburgh Waverly train station and directly opposite the Scotsman Hotel building.

The hotel, owned by Jury's Inn only recently rebranded as a Hilton in 2016 following a multi-million pound refurbishment.

Checkin

(You can see more and larger images on my blog by clicking here: http://offonone.co.uk/2017/06/hilton...arlton-review/ )

The main reception area is located just as you enter the hotel from North Bridge. The reception area has been renovated to a very high standard with a lovely staircase being the centrepiece.

There was complimentary hot chocolate and very tasty cookies on offer whilst you waited to checkin, which was a nice touch.

I was greeted by a welcoming member of staff who checked us in promptly. I had checked in online so I quickly had my key and was told breakfast times. Worth noting that there were a number Executive Rooms still for sale for the night I was staying, but I wasn't offered one as an upgrade despite them being available and so didn't have access to the Executive Lounge.

Honors benefits offered for Honors Gold card holders:
  • A choice of either 1,000 bonus points, or a free continental breakfast. I have this set to free breakfast on my account. I was given a full breakfast in the restaurant, rather than just continental.
  • I was granted a 1 category room upgrade from King Guest Room to King Deluxe Room.
  • Free WiFi.
  • 2 x bottles of water were in the room.

Room

Hilton Edinburgh Carlton Bedroom Lounge AreaI initially booked a base King Guest Room which had been upgraded to a King Deluxe Room.

The rooms have been tastefully upgraded during the refurbishment and are finished to a high standard. All of the rooms I've stayed in have been very spacious and well appointed. Some of them do come in odd shapes, but you expect that in a building of this age. There were plenty of windows so lots of natural light, really good noise insulation but unfortunately you can't open them. The air con system works well and was very quiet.

There was a desk, a small seating area with a sofa (not massively comfy) as well as the extremely comfy king bed. There were amble sockets throughout including a few the integrated USB sockets for charging your mobile device.

The usual tea and coffee making facilities were hidden in one of the cupboards, which included the very welcome addition of hot chocolate which you don't often see in Hiltons .

Bathroom

The bathroom was of a good size, well finished with a lovely big shower. There was no bath however, if that's important to you. I think some of the rooms do have baths, but hard to say which ones as I suspect it just depends on where the room is located in the building.

All of the standard Hilton toiletries were there, although some of them were half empty as if they had already been used.

Breakfast

Breakfast was served in the Marco Pierre White Steakhouse & Grill restaurant within the hotel.

The breakfast selection was fairly typical for a Hilton, although a lot of the items were poorly stocked or just completely missing. It was also a challenge finding clean plates. This wasn't on what seemed like an especially busy morning, I would add. It was far from the best Hilton breakfasts I've had and left a lot to be desired.

Hilton Edinburgh Carlton Executive Lounge

On this occasion I didn't have access to the lounge as I didn't received an executive room upgrade.

I have had access on previous visits to the hotel. The lounge is located just next to the hotel's Nineteen Hundred Bar & Lounge. The lounge isn't particularly big but it is a nice place to relax. Access is by using your room keycard, there isn't a reception desk as such. There was a decent selection of drinks on offer during the evening service including free pouring wine (not the rubbish stuff served in many UK Hilton's, it was drinkable) beer and some spirits. There was some nice food on offer too, although much like the breakfast it wasn't kept stocked massively well.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Quick note to say that I've had a couple of stays here recently and found the location, room quality and staff interaction to be great.

I had Exec Lounge access on the latest stay, and although I found the physical structure / mix of tables and chairs a little odd (none really suited me for lounging and reading newspaper while having nibble plate close to hand) the selection of soft drinks, bar beverages, hot and cold food for breakfast / evening light meal, daytime snacks, etc was easily enough to keep me happy .
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Spent two night here on points over the 30/31st December. When booking using points the room rates were Ł500 plus a night. If I had paid that I would be demanding my money back.

arrived after 3pm but no room available. No mention of Diamond status or benefits but packed off to exec lounge to wait. No soft drinks no alcohol and just tea and coffee available. At 3.45 had to leave still without a room.
when I got back I asked to speak to duty manager. Nice guy who listened and provided bottle of prosecco and some soft drinks, but still no mention of breakfast WiFi or any thing else.
they stay was fine but when full the hotel struggles to cope and the queues for breakfast were very long. I did get into the lounge and breakfast was available. The selection was limited but the staff were happy to go and get the full works and there was an a la carte selection. The food was excellent.
its a nice hotel, great location, nicely decorated and comfortable. Staff were universally nice but clearly pushed and consequently service was below par at times.

it was never worth Ł500 a night even on New Years Eve in Edinburgh.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:38 am

I’m here tonight.

Booked a regular twin room room and upgraded a few days ago to a double double deluxe.

Checked in quickly and room on the third floor is a very good size with a very large bathroom overlooking North Brodge. The enhanced glazing works well as there is almost no traffic noise from the street which is good.

Four of all the toiletries in the bathroom.

Happy hour in the lounge is 5pm till 8pm

Minestrone soup and steamed fish with potatoes and broccoli. No cold canapés other than the cheeseboard which has four types of cheese.

Vodka, gin, Bacardi and scotch are the spirits.
Only beer is Becks
Two red and two white wines, no fizz or rose.

Hotel seems quite quiet at the moment. Only four others in the lounge
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chrism20
I’m here tonight.

Booked a regular twin room room and upgraded a few days ago to a double double deluxe.

Checked in quickly and room on the third floor is a very good size with a very large bathroom overlooking North Brodge. The enhanced glazing works well as there is almost no traffic noise from the street which is good.

Four of all the toiletries in the bathroom.

Happy hour in the lounge is 5pm till 8pm

Minestrone soup and steamed fish with potatoes and broccoli. No cold canapés other than the cheeseboard which has four types of cheese.

Vodka, gin, Bacardi and scotch are the spirits.
Only beer is Becks
Two red and two white wines, no fizz or rose.

Hotel seems quite quiet at the moment. Only four others in the lounge
Nce to see that the upgrade was given a few days beforehand, a lot leave it until the day itself or even make you “negotiate” at check in

Beer selection typically uninspiring, at least in the Doubletree Glasgow you get a choice and they serve Brewdog in cans!

i had wondered about road noise given it's location on the bridge, so re-assuring to know that the windows work well.

Must got be it a whirl soon, before silly season kicks in.
Is their nominated parking at the station and is it discounted?
Also, I seem to remember you mentioning an entrance to the health club, down by the side of the station that would allow entrance to the hotel?

Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by adobbing

Nce to see that the upgrade was given a few days beforehand, a lot leave it until the day itself or even make you “negotiate” at check in

Beer selection typically uninspiring, at least in the Doubletree Glasgow you get a choice and they serve Brewdog in cans!

i had wondered about road noise given it's location on the bridge, so re-assuring to know that the windows work well.

Must got be it a whirl soon, before silly season kicks in.
Is their nominated parking at the station and is it discounted?
Also, I seem to remember you mentioning an entrance to the health club, down by the side of the station that would allow entrance to the hotel?

I was very surprised with the lack of noise tbh. The only two loud noises I recall were the glass bins being emptied at Pizza Hut opposite which was around 11pm and a police/ambulance siren.

I'll be honest the lounge at DT Glasgow (Same group) is much better than here. The fish was very nice but the choice was seriously lacking compared to Glasgow which had three hot items and salad on my last visit.

I asked re parking at checkout and was advised it was still at the station and there is a discount. The young lad at reception was a bit stressed as the computers were playing up and I completely forgot to ask re Market Street entrance sorry! They are really good at responding to Twitter and Facebook messages though so it might be worth asking. The public lifts allow guests to go to level -4 so it's possible there is still access to the street level as the fitness suite is on level -2 I think.

Yes another couple of weeks and the silly season will be in full swing again here. Although we might get a bit of a lull mid/late April with Easter being very early this year.

We had a Black Friday voucher for Marco Pierre White (That was the reason for the stay) and it was very nice. The steak was cooked to perfection and I'd say that the MPW here is better than the MPW at the Indigo in Glasgow.

Breakfast was very good. Diamonds are able to order any item from the A la Carte menu complimentary and no charge for latte/cappuccino etc unlike some sneaky properties. The Eggs Benedict was very nice.

Overall a very good stay, my only grumble was the pillows were very soft but thats a personal preference rather than a problem. I dare say if I had phoned downstairs they would have found me some that were firmer.

Would definitely return. I'm at the WA in a couple of weeks time so it will be interesting to compare the two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.