Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Doha Old Town {QAT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Doha Old Town {QAT}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I had a stay here a couple of weeks ago. Check in was slow, and they were initially provided an upgrade but to a smoking room which I did not want; after some back and forth they eventually provided the room type that I had booked. As a diamond, I received the drink and food vouchers.

I had a couple of stays at the Hilton also and if the rates are anywhere close I will continue to choose the Hilton.
Just to keep the current situation in the latest post: vouchers for food and booze are no longer given to Ds. I'm pretty sure this will revert to the old system, and /i hope someone will post when that happens.

your commens regarding the Hilton are spot on. While some might prefer, or require, a downtown location the Hilton is far quieter - though again there's a nightclub to factor into room choice. It also has a (basic) lounge - and a beach!!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Just wondering what was the system (or are you referring to the vouchers?) I checked in yesterday and they informed me there is still nothing decided nor looks like it will be.

They are one of the most popular hotels in Doha and have a new finance guy who is basically putting pressure on the other managers as I understand in giving these benefits and sees no benefit if occupancy is so high. What they fail to realise is in Doha there are many other options, a new double tree and new hilton will be opening up later this year in doha and should hopefully fix the management here.
remymartin likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AbuCordoba

They are one of the most popular hotels in Doha ..

Really? Tripadvisor popularity rankings brings the DoubleTree in at number 35 or so, behind even the Holiday Inn in the business park development in front of the police station.

I'm guessing our view is a little warped by brand power
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Really? Tripadvisor popularity rankings brings the DoubleTree in at number 35 or so, behind even the Holiday Inn in the business park development in front of the police station.

I'm guessing our view is a little warped by brand power
Haha well I meant in terms of occupancy! my favourite by a country mile is the St Regis followed by the Ritz (since the renovation)....I have high hopes for the new Hilton on the Pearl but we will see!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:44 pm

I was checking out yesterday I tried to use some old vouchers from a previous stay and they were accepted by the in room dining, however upon checkout they gave me a bill that included the full amount and refused to accept my vouchers as they had expired, I tried to say that had not as there technically was no stamp on them however they said as they only give vouchers to long term guests and not short stay I am not eligible to use them.

To be honest the vouchers was a big positve for me staying here and it is not worth the sacrifice in terms of noise etc anymore.
NoY and remymartin like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by stargold
I'm quite sensitive to noise but had a room that was 3-4 floors below the rooftop (can't recall exactly which), and it was fine.
I take back my comment above, after a disastrous stay last night. The noise issue is a serious problem far beyond what a hotel should subject its guests to.

I booked the hotel due to walking distance to the MIA and the fact that I was arriving on a very late flight; otherwise, I would have booked the W or any of the other numerous luxury options in the city.

At check-in (around 11:30pm), the nice staff member checking me in cheerfully informed me that I have been upgraded to the Presidential Suite. Being very much alive to the noise issue, I asked what floor the suite was on (knowing full well it will be on the 14th, one floor below the nightclub), and was informed that yes it is on the 14th floor, but the club will close at 1am. Since I intended to take a walk around the area anyway, I accepted the upgrade, thinking I will come back at around 00:30, shower and go to sleep when the nightclub closes at 1am.

I started to be concerned when the lift up to my room at 00:30 was packed with people going up to the nightclub. The noise when I returned to my room was quite incredible. I was at a loss as to what would happen if anyone actually books this suite - sleep before 2am is categorically not possible in this suite, or indeed any other room on the 14th floor. I could even feel the bass rumble quite clearly.

1am came and the music showed no sign of stopping. I called reception to be allocated to a lower level. On the first try, no call-back for over 10 minutes. Called again, and eventually received a room on the 4th floor, to the most basic room type. Which had an overwhelming stench of cheap room freshner. By this point, I was truly too tired to face another room swap so I just decided to bear it.

The most incredible thing was that I could still hear the music from the club even on the 4th floor. I wonder whether they have upgraded the sound system or they are turning up the music much louder than before, because if the noise was like this two years ago, I definitely would have remembered.

It seems to me the hotel must choose between being a nightclub and being a hotel - as things stand, they are not going to achieve both. Needless to say, I will not be returning under any circumstances going forward.

Last edited by stargold; Mar 25, 2019 at 7:57 am
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Sorry to read about your troubles. The ground floor bar is also very loud and afaik also closes at 2 am. Thus, the best floors are in the middle of the building, on the side of the elevators I suppose, if sensitive to noise.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:04 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by NoY
Cancelled! Too risky
So flipping glad I cancelled my booking for next week!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems to me the hotel must choose between being a nightclub and being a hotel - as things stand, they are not going to achieve both. Needless to say, I will not be returning under any circumstances going forward.
It's a Doha problem, something of a Gulf area problem. Clubs/bars aren't stand-alone places, usually operating under the umbrella of hotels. The facilities are nominally provided as guest services, but given the dearth of such spots they attract droves of non-residents, generating substantial revenue for he hotel. It can work out if the hotel is large and well constructed, with adequate sound-proofing.

The Doubletree is none of these things. And given it's small size and the competitive pressure on room rates, the nightclub and party revenue probably represent a considerable proportion of income. So it looks as though guests will continue to suffer.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:06 am

During one of my several arguments with the Front Desk about the noise I said exactly the same thing, then they started to offer really good deals and I had to work late at night so the noise was no longer an issue and I was happy to stay until the vouchers issue.

Last night I stayed at the Hilton Doha property and suffered from the Noise issue as I was in 311 which was directly above the night club! the saving grace for the Hilton Westbay property is its large enough to get away from the club and it is only to one side of the hotel. The doubletree is sandwiched from noise on all sides and it is ridiculous set up for anyone needing a good night sleep in normal hours.
NoY likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Stayed in this hotel a few weeks ago. Arrived after 12midnight and the associate checking us in said he´ll find a quiet room for us. No room upgrade, but as promised we didn´t hear anything from our room on the 6th floor. Or maybe we were too tired from our flight from Hong Kong The hotel was full and was told there is a group from Qatar Airways or something. As a diamond, we also got a drink voucher plus a meal voucher for 50QR which we used in room service where we only had to pay the 15QR delivery charge. The hotel is walking distance to the newly opened National Museum of Qatar which is definitely worth a visit as the architecture is really impressive and which Qatar can really be proud of.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:05 am

Ok so are the vouchers definitely back in play? can anyone else also verify this or was this perhaps just a one off for the thefilipinotraveler!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just completed a stay here and as a diamond member was not offered any vouchers nor was the breakfast benefit mentioned. However, my stay was unique in that I checked in this morning at 6:30am and left before midnight. I was contacted by the hotel a couple days before my stay asking if i had any room requests. I mentioned my situation and they kept my room available overnight free of charge so it was available this morning for check in which was greatly appreciated. I also requested a quiet room and they put me on the 7th floor and I couldn’t hear any noise. When checking out there were a lot of people coming in to go to the club. The service was great and location good for visiting the Corniche, Museum of Islamic Art, Souq Waqif, and the National Museum of Qatar which we walked to from the hotel although they aren’t exactly nice walks. It was great to have a place central enough where we could go back to the hotel after each sight to take a rest and it’s only a 20 minute ride to the airport. We used Careem and there’s a MasterCard promo for a free first ride and 20% after that which meant we only paid about $5 round trip. Overall I thought the hotel worked out perfectly for our needs.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:31 am

I've stayed now 3 times on layovers. If you leave before 2300 (meaning check-in morning/midday and leave before mid-night) the hotel is fine. But on 2 of my stays I attempted to sleep on the 7th floor and the 4th floor--I could hear the nightclub. And even though the rooms are labeled as non-smoking the smell of smoke was noticeable.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by thefilipinotraveler
As a diamond, we also got a drink voucher plus a meal voucher for 50QR which we used in room service where we only had to pay the 15QR delivery charge. T
I booked and stayed based on this information and I was told that for over 6 weeks there has been no vouchers and there is no plan for vouchers to be introduced again! there is so many better hotels for this price in Doha!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.