FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Doha Old Town {QAT} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1745420-doubletree-hilton-hotel-doha-old-town-qat.html)

Isochronous Jan 30, 2016 5:39 am

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Doha Old Town {QAT}

Has anyone stayed at the DoubleTree? Some good rates on offer atm so want feedback. Otherwise might stay at Shangri La (which is double the price though)

shawn67 Jan 30, 2016 11:22 am

LINKS for Hilton HHonors Hotels in Qatar {QAT}

It is very nice...not too far from the airport and has beautiful view of the city...got upgraded as a Diamond to a junior suite...rooftop bar is excellent...everything close to brand new...I would highly recommend

aks120 Jun 2, 2016 11:40 am

Dear All

Please see a link to my latest review of the DoubleTree by Hilton Doha Old Town Hotel.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26712528-post22.html

It is part of a wider trip report but I thought this section would be useful here.

Regards

aks120

oh_lol Nov 8, 2016 10:51 pm

Any updates on this place? Looks like the place to stay at over normal Hilton in Doha?

whitewatergirl Dec 4, 2016 9:47 am

Gold breakfast?

Am I correct in reading the benefits that HH Gold gets nothing at Doubletree except water? Any recent HH Gold experiences at this property?

arlflyer Dec 4, 2016 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by whitewatergirl (Post 27564233)
Am I correct in reading the benefits that HH Gold gets nothing at Doubletree except water?

No.

whitewatergirl Dec 4, 2016 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 27564740)
No.

Thanks, what should I expect to receive at this Doubletree property as HH Gold?

arlflyer Dec 4, 2016 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by whitewatergirl (Post 27564980)

Some kind of breakfast, yes, water, and maybe some kind of upgraded room if you're very lucky.

tda1986 Dec 4, 2016 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by whitewatergirl (Post 27564980)

We got upgraded to a room with a view of the gulf back in June as HH Gold. We would have gotten breakfast, but we had to leave early for a flight before breakfast was served. Overall, it's a nice new hotel in a good location at a great price.

stargold Feb 11, 2017 10:39 pm

Stayed for a very brief stay this weekend. Some thoughts in no particular order:

- Some taxi drivers didn't know where the hotel was. If it helps, the hotel is next to the Mövenpick Doha Old Town.

- Location is very good for a short layover, as it is (i) very close to the airport, and (ii) close to some of the touristy stuff. The Museum of Islamic Art, one of the few actually enticing attractions in Doha, was just a 10-min walk away, and the Souq Waqif was another 5-min from the Museum.

- The hotel still feels very new and sparkly. Very pleasant.

- Front desk service was excellent. Warmly welcomed as a Diamond and given an upgrade to a Sea View Studio.

- As a Diamond (not sure if it's the same for Golds) I was given vouchers for a drink and QAR 50 of food. I used it at the rooftop bar, which was very buzzy as it was a Friday evening.

- Room was excellent, and the bathroom in particular was almost a bit over-the-top for the type of room. It even had a jacuzzi!

- I was told that noise from the roof-top bar carries through a few floors, so the upper floors can be noisy. I was given a room on the 8th floor, out of 14 floors of guest rooms in total. It was very quiet.

- The main restaurant is undergoing renovations so they have re-purposed some meeting rooms on the 2nd floor to be the breakfast restaurant for now. The main restaurant will be back open in April apparently.

All in all, a very pleasant stay at a very good rate (410 QAR). On a longer stay I might prefer somewhere with more facilities, but it was perfect for my short 24h stay.

swiss_global Feb 12, 2017 11:58 am

I had a bit of a mixed experience with the food voucher you get as a Diamond, last autumn. I wanted to use it for dinner in the main restaurant, which had a nice looking buffet on offer. I was happy to pay for the small difference in price.

However, I was told that with the voucher, (a) I could not go for the buffet, but only for more expensive a la carte dishes, and (b) I could only sit in the smoking section, although there were a few tables left in non-smoking. I decided to call the duty manager, who resolved both issues and indeed offered a glass of wine on top. So the story ended very positively, but only after escalation to management level.

Sweet Willie Apr 20, 2017 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by stargold (Post 27897470)
- I was told that noise from the roof-top bar carries through a few floors, so the upper floors can be noisy. I was given a room on the 8th floor, out of 14 floors of guest rooms in total. It was very quiet.

good to know, I had read that the rooftop bar can be VERY noisy. Having stayed at properties where the bass thumps through some floors this was a concern of mine at this property.

arlflyer Apr 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Staying here on an overnight layover in a couple weeks. Cautiously optimistic! (Which is about as optimistic as I can get about an hhonors family property these days)

Sweet Willie Apr 21, 2017 6:03 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 28208329)
Staying here on an overnight layover in a couple weeks. Cautiously optimistic! (Which is about as optimistic as I can get about an hhonors family property these days)

:D

solewalker Apr 21, 2017 10:12 am

I recently stayed here for one night in March as a HH Diamond. I got an upgrade to a studio room, which included a washer/dryer.

I thought the buffet breakfast was excellent. It's one of the better DoubleTree stays I've had.