Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree by Hilton Glasgow Central {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree by Hilton Glasgow Central {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:08 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by adobbing
It’s the uncertainty that discourages me, if I know in advance I can make a decision on which hotel offers the best value, my company is very focused on business expenses.
If I know there is a chance of a nasty surprise it discourages me from booking there.
Fair enough comment, my intent is not to "defend" the hotel, but merely to report my own recent experience there. The commentary above worried me that I'd get virtually no Diamond benefits but that wasn't the case. We were leisure travellers so not so strictly cost focused, but I can see why the above approach could create uncertainty for the business traveller (e.g. will I get those vouchers to cover parking etc). On the other hand, the vouchers presumably have a little more value to someone who wouldn't benefit from free parking, but without clearly defined policies about what you'll get I certainly take your point.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:14 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
Fair enough comment, my intent is not to "defend" the hotel, but merely to report my own recent experience there. The commentary above worried me that I'd get virtually no Diamond benefits but that wasn't the case. We were leisure travellers so not so strictly cost focused, but I can see why the above approach could create uncertainty for the business traveller (e.g. will I get those vouchers to cover parking etc). On the other hand, the vouchers presumably have a little more value to someone who wouldn't benefit from free parking, but without clearly defined policies about what you'll get I certainly take your point.
Sorry, no criticism of you intended!

Criticism is of the hotel, in managing to remove what previously was an assumed and appreciated benefit, that had been given for many years and now replacing with a lucky dip.
It’s the uncertainty of it all!
hugolover, wizla and BertieBadger like this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:21 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by adobbing
Sorry, no criticism of you intended!

Criticism is of the hotel, in managing to remove what previously was an assumed and appreciated benefit, that had been given for many years and now replacing with a lucky dip.
It’s the uncertainty of it all!
And apologies here too, I didn't mean to suggest I had taken your comments as criticism (I didn't see them that way at all). I was clumsily trying to clarify that I wasn't really commenting on whether they are 'good' policies or not, but just reporting on the benefits I got.

I think you do make a fair point - when the policies unexpectedly change, if free parking becomes vouchers etc, - it becomes difficult to appraise the value. What is a discretionary benefit, what is policy I can rely on and so on. I can only echo the suggestion to try get it in writing.
adobbing likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I have never stayed at the DT in Glasgow, but I have been in a few Hilton's since Covid was declared a pandemic, including the Hilton Glasgow.

I genuinely believe they still want to do their best for status holder. Its never been a problem getting breakfast in the restaurant rather than the lounge, Prior to Covid many properties offered both anyway.

Sometimes I have proactively been given vouchers for F&B, on other occasions I have had to ask. I think the need to ask is that staff are trying to get used to the new normal as much as we are. For now I am happy to give the benefit of the doubt.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a while, Hilton Glasgow wasn't a property that would give breakfast for Diamond in the restaurant until they did the cyclic GM change and the policy of £5 was revoked. The lounge was also downgraded to remove all hot BK items.

I can't recall a F&B voucher, I can recall beverage vouchers. But I am referring to pre-China.

Having stayed at a number of properties recently, I would say that front line staff want to do their best for status guests, (except DT WAW) but in a few cases Management couldn't give a hoot. However that seems like the mentality that has been in place for years. Especially with franchised properties.
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by hugolover
For a while, Hilton Glasgow wasn't a property that would give breakfast for Diamond in the restaurant until they did the cyclic GM change and the policy of £5 was revoked. The lounge was also downgraded to remove all hot BK items.

I can't recall a F&B voucher, I can recall beverage vouchers. But I am referring to pre-China.
since the lounge is currently closed for covid for each night of stay you get 2 drinks vouchers plus a voucher for a platter. the platter voucher can only be used 5 till 7, the drinks vouchers anytime
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the platter like? Is it as bad as Hilton Warsaw?

Last edited by hugolover; Sep 10, 2020 at 7:15 am
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Kind of getting a sense here that you’re not a fan of Hilton Warsaw
wizla likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Kind of getting a sense here that you’re not a fan of Hilton Warsaw
I asked this to scottishpoet because I understood he has stayed in Warsaw post-Coronavirus. Warsaw was offering Dorito-style crisps and some small wraps. It’s rubbish..
Even a BArbesque, Morphy Richards produced toastie would be better. The positive being all the Finsbury you can drink, if premium gin is your thing

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 11, 2020 at 7:29 am Reason: Redacted to use scientifically correct name for the virus
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH - Diamond BA - Blue
There was 3 or 4 platters to choose from. I went with the meet & cheeses. You get 1 platter per day per room as an exec guest.

They were ok - ingredients same quality you would expect in the lounge e.g. not amazing but passable.

hugolover and wizla like this.
Old May 8, 2021, 4:40 am

Has anyone stayed at the DT recently? I need to be in Glasgow again in a couple of weeks and debating between this and William Street.

Thanks!
hugolover, pazza2000 and wizla like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by lifetimeblue
Has anyone stayed at the DT recently? I need to be in Glasgow again in a couple of weeks and debating between this and William Street.

Thanks!
I was in there recently for a meeting, not staying, but it looked business as normal. The lounge is still closed of course however at best guess, I think it will reopen sooner than later, and before the Hilton on William St’s lounge will. I believe the parking is still charged for all now, which is a shame as it was a great Diamond perk that brought many over from William St
adobbing, hugolover and wizla like this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 2:36 am

Stayed here at the weekend.

Hotel was showing as sold out on the night, but I think they must be running it under capacity as it wasn't feeling that busy. Booked a Twin Room and was upgraded to one of their Deluxe Double Double rooms.

Lounge is still closed, they think it may open in September dependant on how things go restrictions wise. In place of the lounge, Diamonds are being issued 1 x £10 credit for food/bev as well as 1 x drink voucher per person which was a nice surprise! I used them for a couple of G&T's.

Breakfast is back in the main restaurant. A chef is serving food out of the buffet trays behind a screen. It feels very school canteen, and the quality/temperature of the food matched. I asked if they had a menu to order from as they used to offer Eggs Benedict etc. but that is no longer.
​​Note that on the welcome letter they state hot breakfast is a £5 up-charge for diamonds. Unclear how that was being managed in practice. Feels fairly pointless and will just p**s people off for the sake of it? If I had to choose between the hot food on offer and paying £5 I'd forget breakfast there and go to a nice cafe somewhere instead for something decent. At least the cafe wouldn't serve over brewed, at best warm tea from a flask.

Good stay all around, less the breakfast. I never remember it being great here at the best of times, though.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 4:33 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
So they said there was a charge, but they didn't charge you?

Yes I recall the Hilton and HGI's breakfasts being much better than the DT's
Old Jun 19, 2021, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by :D!
So they said there was a charge, but they didn't charge you?

Yes I recall the Hilton and HGI's breakfasts being much better than the DT's

Ye, welcome later stated it would be charged. As I say, unclear how this would be policed given the current school canteen setup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.