Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree by Hilton Glasgow Central {GBR}

Doubletree by Hilton Glasgow Central {GBR}

Old Jan 31, 16, 4:11 am
  #1  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cheshire
Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver
Posts: 1,334
Arrow Doubletree by Hilton Glasgow Central {GBR}

Expected to be converted by Q3 2016

Amaris Hospitality will rebrand three of its hotels as Hilton Worldwide properties.

The agreement will see The Carlton Hotel, Edinburgh become Hilton Edinburgh Carlton; The Glasgow City Hotel will become Doubletree by Hilton Glasgow Central; while Jurys Inn Dublin Custom will become Hilton Garden Inn Dublin Custom House.

Carlton Hotel, Edinburgh

The Carlton Hotel, Edinburgh will become Hilton Edinburgh Carlton

Amaris will invest 30 million into refurbishing the three properties, which will be operated under a franchise agreement and are expected to have completed the rebranding process by the third quarter of next year.

Last month, the group announced it will invest more than 100 million in rebranding 21 of its 89 UK hotels (see news, October 6).

John Brennan, CEO of Amaris Hospitality, said: "This initiative will see three of our landmark hotels leverage their prime city centre locations, a significant investment programme and Hilton's upscale brands to further optimise future revenues and deliver exceptional service to our guests."



http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...d-under-hilton
adobbing is offline  
Old Jan 31, 16, 1:07 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,232
Good news, could it possibly have a lounge? Cos the one at Hilton Glasgow is cr*p and the hotel has a rubbish location!
hugolover is online now  
Old Jan 31, 16, 1:17 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Europe
Posts: 3,035
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
Good news, could it possibly have a lounge? Cos the one at Hilton Glasgow is cr*p and the hotel has a rubbish location!
It doesn't have one at the moment and there is no mention of one on the hotel website.

https://www.thehotelcollection.co.uk...gow-city-hotel

Hopefully just the arrival of some additional Hilton branded options will wake the Hilton from its slumber as it really could do better.

I've stayed in this hotel a few times although not for a couple of years now. I was surprised to read that it has 300 rooms, I never thought it was that big.
chrism20 is online now  
Old Jan 31, 16, 1:19 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,232
There is going to be a Hampton in Dundee as well!

Link scheduled to open in July this year.
hugolover is online now  
Old Jan 31, 16, 1:22 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Europe
Posts: 3,035
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
There is going to be a Hampton in Dundee as well!

Link must be a conversion as its scheduled to open in July this year.
Most of the recruitment has been done for Dundee and training has started apparently. The GM for Hampton Dundee opened the HGI in Aberdeen and was also the GM at Craigendarroch for a while. Both decent properties so that bodes well. We should probably start a thread for it as well lol
chrism20 is online now  
Old Mar 26, 16, 1:31 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,232
The website is showing blurb for a lounge.

By the way, talking to a Hilton management chap recently who thought Hilton Glasgow might not be a Hilton anymore! He works for Hilton vs any franchise, most interesting.
hugolover is online now  
Old Mar 26, 16, 2:22 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cheshire
Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver
Posts: 1,334
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
The website is showing blurb for a lounge.

By the way, talking to a Hilton management chap recently who thought Hilton Glasgow might not be a Hilton anymore! He works for Hilton vs any franchise, most interesting.
I wonder if the Doubletree branding could be a temporary move until the Hilton Glasgow leaves and then it could convert to Hilton taking it's place.

Anybody know of any other doubletree hotels changing to Hiltons?
adobbing is offline  
Old Mar 26, 16, 9:12 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NSW
Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 673
This is brilliant news. The existing Hilton is in a rubbish location.
Princess fiona is offline  
Old Mar 27, 16, 6:02 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scotland, UK
Programs: HH - Gold BA - Blue
Posts: 362
Originally Posted by hugolover View Post
The website is showing blurb for a lounge.

By the way, talking to a Hilton management chap recently who thought Hilton Glasgow might not be a Hilton anymore! He works for Hilton vs any franchise, most interesting.
Great news! Room photos look pretty good too.

Is Hilton Glasgow not one of the few properties they actually own? Or am I talking rubbish.
That would be big news if it were to rebrand.

p.s. I just found this article, that's the first I've heard of The Carlton Hotel being rebranded as Hilton Edinburgh Carlton: http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...d-under-hilton
SCLNRT likes this.

Last edited by lifetimeblue; Mar 27, 16 at 6:09 pm
lifetimeblue is offline  
Old Mar 28, 16, 5:29 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Europe
Posts: 3,035
Originally Posted by lifetimeblue View Post
Great news! Room photos look pretty good too.

Is Hilton Glasgow not one of the few properties they actually own? Or am I talking rubbish.
That would be big news if it were to rebrand.

p.s. I just found this article, that's the first I've heard of The Carlton Hotel being rebranded as Hilton Edinburgh Carlton: http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...d-under-hilton
The Carlton was announced at the same time as this one I think. They are the same group IIRC.

I think Hilton Glasgow was eventually sold around the same time as the Grosvenor IIRC. I have a colleague staying there next week I'll ask them to see what they can find out. I'll be surprised if Hilton let it go without a fight though as regardless of how poor it is it's still one of the flagship Scottish properties.
chrism20 is online now  
Old Mar 28, 16, 5:52 am
  #11  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cheshire
Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver
Posts: 1,334
Originally Posted by chrism20 View Post

I think Hilton Glasgow was eventually sold around the same time as the Grosvenor IIRC. I have a colleague staying there next week I'll ask them to see what they can find out. I'll be surprised if Hilton let it go without a fight though as regardless of how poor it is it's still one of the flagship Scottish properties.
Sold to Topland group by RBS in 2011, as far as I know they still own it;
http://m.heraldscotland.com/business...___35_7m_deal/
adobbing is offline  
Old Mar 28, 16, 6:02 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Europe
Posts: 3,035
Originally Posted by adobbing View Post
Sold to Topland group by RBS in 2011, as far as I know they still own it;
http://m.heraldscotland.com/business...___35_7m_deal/
Thanks. I think Blackpool is the sole remaining Hilton owned U.K. Property unless I've missed one somewhere.
chrism20 is online now  
Old Mar 28, 16, 7:35 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Scotland, UK
Programs: HH - Gold BA - Blue
Posts: 362
Thanks for that, didn't realise it had been sold!
Rebrand could be possible then, but it would be a big surprise. It has always been "The Hilton" in Glasgow has it not?

Originally Posted by chrism20 View Post
Thanks. I think Blackpool is the sole remaining Hilton owned U.K. Property unless I've missed one somewhere.
Really? Funny that their one and only is one of the most run down properties in the UK
lifetimeblue is offline  
Old Mar 28, 16, 9:21 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Somewhere in Europe
Posts: 3,035
Originally Posted by lifetimeblue View Post
Thanks for that, didn't realise it had been sold!
Rebrand could be possible then, but it would be a big surprise. It has always been "The Hilton" in Glasgow has it not?



Really? Funny that their one and only is one of the most run down properties in the UK
It's currently being refurbed and actually doesn't look too bad for a provincial Hilton. Far from superior but definitely looks a lot better than it did.

I'll also be very surprised if the Hilton goes and I imagine there is a long management contract in place which won't be cheap to buy out. But it can be done, you only have to look at what is now the Conrad in London which had a long management contract with IHG. If the owners want out they will find a way.

I'm quite looking forward to this hotel launching as a DT though as its a pretty solid hotel already and is in a good location.
chrism20 is online now  
Old May 8, 16, 9:10 am
  #15  
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cheshire
Programs: HH Diamond VIP, IHG Spire Am Elite, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver
Posts: 1,334
From the website

This hotel will open on 30 Sep 2016
Parking - Self parking 8.00
Executive Rooms - Guests who upgrade to an Executive Room can enjoy access to our fantastic Executive Lounge, offering complimentary continental breakfast and evening refreshments

I think the Hilton Glasgow is going to lose quite a bit of HHonors business to this Hotel!

Better Location / much cheaper parking / Executive lounge

Roll on 30th September!
adobbing is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread