Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
how long does it take to get to town and what is the cost?
im looking at moving 4 people so sometimes its just as cheap to cab it!
I just remember it was a long drive to the city
I really cant see any good reports about any hotel in the city.
anyone got any good rates for 13th april 2 nights at the ORD?
If I am going to use the award certs I may as well go downtown. is there any way I would get a 2 bedroom suite (award)at one of the suite porperties?

how far is oak park(Im a frank LW fan)
IIRC, the train is USD $1.75/$2.00 per person and the ride is about 25/30 minutes between downtown to O'Hare. Here is the transit authorities website: http://www.transitchicago.com

We'll we know "suites" are not bookable for reward stays, however, you might get upgraded to a "suite" but I wouldn't count on it or a 2 bedroom suite. As stated in the past, it often better to book what you really want instead of relying on an upgrade.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:37 pm

Programs: V-Flyer Black
Stayed at the Palmer House on 29Dec.

Well on my $85.00 rate I got an upgrade to room 20150 which is a pretty large suite. A eight person dining table, two bathrooms, bar area, five closets, two TV, and tons of seating. Now I was only in for the night but a pretty good upgrade on a $85.00 rate for a HHonors Gold.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:24 pm

do u have the link to THAT rate
Old Jan 23, 2007, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Question Chicago on an award Palmer House, Conrad, or Drake?

I'll be in Chicago with my family and want to make use of the last of my 5/10/15 certificates that expires on 2/28. I'm a Diamond. Which Hilton property offers the nicest combination of rooms/breakfast/lounge. We're considering the Palmer House or the Conrad. There is also the Drake. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:58 pm

I'd take the Drake but then I have no status and don't know anything about the perks. The hotel, however, is a classic.

Deb
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I'll be in Chicago with my family and want to make use of the last of my 5/10/15 certificates that expires on 2/28. I'm a Diamond. Which Hilton property offers the nicest combination of rooms/breakfast/lounge. We're considering the Palmer House or the Conrad. There is also the Drake. Any suggestions?

The Conrad doesn't have a lounge. I would go to the Palmer House.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Been to all 3...........DRAKE!
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mach92
Been to all 3...........DRAKE!
The Drake w/Kids? Na, I think the Palmer House is better for a family.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
The Drake w/Kids? Na, I think the Palmer House is better for a family.
I agree, though I really have enjoyed my stays at all 3 properties. The Palmer House is more convenient to the "kid" destinations such as the great museum and is fairly close to the main shopping area on Michigan.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Palmer House is probably best for the family. Elevators can be a long wait in the mornings, though.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BriGuy
Palmer House is probably best for the family. Elevators can be a long wait in the mornings, though.
The Elevators are a mess at all hours!

I just thought, the lounge and seating areas get very crowded, so get there early!
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Do your children appreciate fine things?
Do you want to expose your children to fine things and/or garner in them the appreciation of fine things?
Are they reasonably well behaved?

We've stayed at the Drake a couple of times now with the kids.
I've posted on our stays (if you want to search for them), which have been great. We have been treated very well, even with the (young) children along. As to the kids behaving... we make them mind their manners and they are by nurture polite. The staff has seemed to go out of their way to interact with our kids. Our kids love the attention.
There have only been one or two times when we have received disdainful looks from other hotel guests when the kids were with us.

The kids also loved the chocolate cake (because of birthday), the ice cream, the milk and cookies that are sent up pretty much every night, I think.
We don't take them to the lounge, FYI, as normal lounge times are their high energy times.

Upgrades, upgraded every time to very nice rooms.
Lounge is very nice, but depending on your kids ages / behavior you may or may not want to bring them.
Breakfast (we have received coupons), not that great.

We have been to the CHI-DT (now HS), Drake, ES-Lakefront and CH.
I would say my top picks are the Drake (to expose them to a different type of "living") and the ES-Lakefront (they can bounce off the walls and they will blend right in) when bringing the kids.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 4:55 pm

Does anybody have any more information re: the Hilton Suites Chicago - Magnificent Mile (FKA DoubleTree). Specifically, what is an Alcove Suite and how does it compare to the Standard 1 Bedroom Suite?

Thanks,
Nick Adams
Marietta, GA
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:46 pm

Question recommendation? Chicago, near pub transit, HHonors

Wondering if anybody has a recommendation for a 2-night stay at a Hilton chain hotel in Chicago given the following info:

-We won't have a car, so need to be relatively near the train (blue line?).
-I'd like to use HH points, as few as possible. Looking at the great xls list and at the web, I think I'm looking at a level 3 at a minimum unfortunately.
-We'd like to be near downtown, or at least within walking distance of a good restaurant and other interesting things to see/do.

My other thought is to Priceline a four star downtown to try to get a great deal, but I'd hate to be stuck in a bad area or far from the train.

Any ideas/thoughts are appreciated.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:53 pm

I'm far from an expert on the Hiltons in Chicago, but do live and work in the city, so I can help a little with geography.

The Blue Line comes in from the NW of the city. To be in the Loop and close to the Blue Line, you could stay at either the Hampton Inn or Palmer House, both on Monroe.

There are a few good restaurants right in the Loop, as well as theaters, but most of the good reataurants are a little farther north (1/2-1 mile). Some of the other hilton properties on Illinois, Grand, Rush, and State are more in the middle of the action as far as restaurants and nightlife, and would be closer to Michigan Avenue shopping if you wan to walk to everything. That area is called the Gold Coast and is easily reached by the Red Line, which runs north-south and connects to the Blue Line in the Loop. Or a cab from one to the other would be less than $10.

So between the Gold Coast and the Loop, you should be OK with whichever hotel you find for the fewest points as they are both very convenient to whatever you wish to do.

Either Monroe St. property would put you very close to Millenium Park, which is a popular place to visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.